Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spin2 for Beginners -- Session 8 Files Available Now - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Spin2 for Beginners -- Session 8 Files Available Now

Comments

• There's a new page on the Parallax web site.
    -- https://www.parallax.com/events/
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    There's a new page on the Parallax web site.
    -- https://www.parallax.com/events/
    Thanks! I'm signed up.

• For those of you on mac here is a fixed version of the demo zip file. I just got my lights from amazon and I was unable to open it up.

The zip file is not corrupted, it was created as a backup archive and is missing the EOCDR signature. It needs to be re-zipped by parallax to fix.

• I will be posting updated files for the sessions tomorrow afternoon.
  • Are we going to be able to turn these lights on. My calculations show that we need a 4 amp 5 volt power supply to drive these lights. Don't have that laying around.

.3 Watts at 5 volts = 60ma X 50 lights = 3 amps.

Mike
  • iseries wrote: »
    Are we going to be able to turn these lights on. My calculations show that we need a 4 amp 5 volt power supply to drive these lights. Don't have that laying around.

.3 Watts at 5 volts = 60ma X 50 lights = 3 amps.

Mike
    One of the newer Raspberry Pi power supplies should be able to do it. Mine is 3.5A.

• Well if we got the 12v models it would only take 1.25 amps and I could of powered it with a Lipo.

Mike
  • iseries wrote: »
    Well if we got the 12v models it would only take 1.25 amps and I could of powered it with a Lipo.

Mike
    Jon says you can use any RGB LED strings. I'm not going to use the one that he suggested mainly because I couldn't get it. I have some rings and a few bars. I think I also may have some 12v LED chains. Do they still use 5v control signals?

• For those still waiting for the Holiday kit, we should have another 40 units coming into stock by tomorrow.

Ken Gracey
  • @"David Betz" ,

Right, the electronics on the boards is still 5v but the power to drive the lights is 5V/12V.

Mike
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    For those still waiting for the Holiday kit, we should have another 40 units coming into stock by tomorrow.

Ken Gracey
    Too late! I already have what I need. I don't have that specific LED string but I have other stuff I can use. The only thing I don't have is the temperature sensor.

• For the first session you only need the lights.
  • I think I also may have some 12v LED chains. Do they still use 5v control signals?
    I have run the lights from HolidayCoro.com that are 12 volt using a TC4427 to bump the 3.3v signal from the Propeller to 5v. You could try 3.3v, but I'm not sure if it will work.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2020-12-21 22:38
    Are we going to be able to turn these lights on. My calculations show that we need a 4 amp 5 volt power supply to drive these lights. Don't have that laying around.
    You'll draw about 60mA per bulb IF you run all three channels at maximum brightness -- there is no need to do that unless you want a glaring white string (and you have the power supply to handle it). These light lights are really suited for indoor using and running a low setting looks nice works with the power-supply we have.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I haven't checked the LED strings being used, but from my experience with LEDs these days, you will likely be able to see the LEDs indoors with only 1mA if you can program them to be 1/60th power.
    So for 50 leds at 20mA = 1A, or 50 leds at 10mA = 0.5A. Many should have a USB power supply (phone etc) with at least 0.5A lying around.
  • Code for 23 DEC 2020 presentation is attached to first post of this thread.

I will be using Propeller Tool 2.4.1
    -- most code runs fine using FlexProp, but terminal IO differs
    -- FlexProp users will have to make my Library files available to their system (suggest adding folder instead of using default)

See you at 4PM!
  • @JonnyMac - thanks again for a great presentation! I learned a lot!

Paul
  • Thank you, Paul, and to everybody who participated in the presentation. I hope you found the information useful, and is able to have a bit more fun with the P2s while enjoying the holidays.

Jon
  • Great presentation! I learned a few new things and got answers to questions I didn’t know I had yet!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Unfortunately my inconsiderate son bought a new vehicle and I had to take him to collect it :(
    So I will have to wait until the youtube video is available.
  • Thanks, Jon, for a great session! I had no trouble running any of your examples using flexspin. I just had to remember to use the -T option with loadp2 to get PST-like behavior for end of lines. I'm sure something similar is possible with the flexprop GUI.
  • Thank you, David, I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope that you found something useful.

If you have a quadrature encoder, would you mind trying the attached program? I added a terminal type that you'll need to change to ANSI (default mode is PST), and I've added ANSI sequences to duplicate PST behavior.

It works in the Windows terminal with the -T option, and also on Putty for Windows, but I do have to compile and load flash because Putty resets the connection which reboots the P2.

I'm going to fire up Linux Mint, figure out how to get FlexProp GUI running on it, and try it there, too.
  • DiverBob wrote: »
    Great presentation! I learned a few new things and got answers to questions I didn’t know I had yet!
    Thanks, Bob. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    Thank you, David, I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope that you found something useful.

If you have a quadrature encoder, would you mind trying the attached program? I added a terminal type that you'll need to change to ANSI (default mode is PST), and I've added ANSI sequences to duplicate PST behavior.

Worked for me on macOS with flexprop, (set T_TYPE = ANSI & added -T to Configure Commands run command)!

dgately

• Thanks, Dennis. I should have posted screen shots from my system so that others know what to expect after opening the terminal and pressing a key.
    562 x 434 - 11K
    566 x 302 - 5K
    437 x 242 - 6K
  • Sorry. I'll try this later today. Sounds like Dennis has already verified that it works on the Mac though.
  • I'm about to try your encoder demo but I'm wondering how to map the pins to my encoder. You have defined pins marked A and B but my encoder has pins labeled DT and CLK. Since there is likely no harm him hooking it up backwards, I'll try both but do you have any idea how these pins are supposed to be mapped?
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2020-12-25 19:21
    I loaded the quadrature demo and it seems to work okay. Unfortunately, it produces a constant stream of text that cause the console window to scroll continuously. I assume this is because you are sending a HOME command between text updates but the dumb terminal emulator in loadp2 doesn't know what to do with that escape sequence. I'll try running a different terminal program to see if that works better. Anyway, the values change when I press the button on the encoder or when I rotate the knob so the basic code is working fine.

FYI, I wired the pin labeled DT to pin 25, ENC_B in your code and the pin labeled CLK to pin 24, ENC_A in your code. This seems to work fine.
  • Oops. I neglected to notice the T_TYPE definition. If I switch it to ANSI everything works fine with loadp2's terminal mode.
  • @"David Betz" very useful contributions for everybody as you try this out with FlexProp.

Ken Gracey