Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem with P2 Edge — Parallax Forums

Problem with P2 Edge

I have been playing with this board for a while trying to convert my P1 code over to P2 and have a problem.

When trying to load code on the board using a prop plug I get failures often.

ERROR: timeout waiting for initial checksum: got -1
Press enter to continue...

ERROR: got incorrect initial chksum: └áÉ (ffffffc0 ffffffa0 ffffff90)
Press enter to continue...

After trying it a couple of times it loads the code on the board.

Also I think the pins are upside down on the board. When I plug in the prop plug the writing on the plug is facing down and I think it should be facing up so I can read the pins. People are going to plug it in upside down.

Mike

Comments

• I've seen this sometimes with FlexPropGui but Propeller Tool Alpha seems fine. Are you on a PC or Mac or Linux?

I think the prop plug is that way so that you can see the RX and TX leds

• Tubular wrote: »
    I think the prop plug is that way so that you can see the RX and TX leds

Correct!

The programming header pads (or pins) on the various P2 products are marked to indicate which PropPlug pin connects where.
    The user is relied upon to follow the labelling as there is no orientation control. In most-all situations it won't cause damage if plugged the wrong way.

Ultimately it was deemed having the LEDs visible would be the more useful of the two possible orientations.

The error messages are interesting. Which tool and OS are you running, and what are your dipswitch settings?

I've not tried FlexProp recently as Tubular mentioned, but I have been using PropellerTool regularly and never seen those issues from a stock Windows 10. Maybe there's a dipswitch configuration that would allow more time for the serial window than what you're using now?

• Guess I never look at the LEDs just the labels to plug it in.

On windows 10 using the latest flexprop.

Perhaps the loadp2 loader is out of date or has an issue with the prop plug. Don't get this on a P2 Eval board.

Mike