Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PNut exe detected as virus - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PNut exe detected as virus

2»

Comments

• Hi Chip

Was that ".exe packer" another of your own creations, or it has anything to do with Python or pyinstaller?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    Doesn’t zip reduce size the same amount?

Also, wouldn’t that slow down the launch of the program?

I’ve never heard of this packer thing before..
  • The one I remember is Lzexe, some history and info here

@Tubular Thanks! I can see why that might have made sense in the modem era..

But, why do we need this now with Gigabyte Internet and Terabyte HDs?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Rayman wrote: »
    Doesn’t zip reduce size the same amount?
    Good point, pnut is supplied in a ZIP file (324k), so zip will compress original exe better than it will compress a compressed exe (now 263k) , so the gain would be small.

Rayman wrote: »
    Also, wouldn’t that slow down the launch of the program?
    I’ve never heard of this packer thing before..
    I think it dates from way-way-back, when fitting something on a floppy disk mattered ? ;)
  • Exe Packer have a famous history of being used by virus programmers to obfrusticate there files.
    Early virus checker could not investigate such exe files

Today compressing a exe file is more hassle than benefit. Better stop using such „tools“
    Well, obfuscation seems like a valid reason for using this. I didn't think of that, but maybe it helps prevent people reverse engineering the code.
  • I can't believe. I've used PNut since Chip's live webinar, when Ken 'chatted' the download link, and now (after 4 days) Windows Defender complained about potential virus and moved the executable to the quarantine folder.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2020-07-19 04:57
    dMajo wrote: »
    I can't believe. I've used PNut since Chip's live webinar, when Ken 'chatted' the download link, and now (after 4 days) Windows Defender complained about potential virus and moved the executable to the quarantine folder.

Me too :(

I had downloaded and unzipped fine a few days ago without problems. I am sure I actually ran the .exe when others reported problems and it loaded just fine. I didn't try to compile anything tho'.

Today I renamed the folder that it was in from C:\P2\pnut34t to c:\P2\Propeller II v34T and bingo, Windows Defender reports a virus in the popup notifications, and when clicked to get info, it reports pnut34t.exe and deletes it :(
  • Is there any certainty that there isn't actually a genuine virus?
  • I still have the file but was not able to run it until I made a exception for it in AVAST.

One Point might be that the file has no metadata, so no File description, File version, Product name, Product version and no Copyright.

And hell NO you can't run a program without Copyright on Windows or something like that.

AVAST told me they will check it now and will inform me in about 82 minutes about the result of their checking...

Mike
    edited 2020-07-19 06:20
    Probably windows defender initially reported back to MS about the virus and now windows defender has been updated to every pc so now we all get a virus warning and deletion.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Yanomani wrote: »
    Hi Chip

Was that ".exe packer" another of your own creations, or it has anything to do with Python or pyinstaller?

It was a super effective .exe packer I found on the internet. It reduced file size by 60%.
  • Been using V34t for a couple of dats Ok.
    Today it blew up, same as everybody else. :(

edited 2020-07-19 08:34
    I've got all the new debugger features working:

DEBUG_PIN = pin
    DEBUG_DELAY = ms
    DEBUG_TIMESTAMP

I've got the timestamp reporting CT64 at the point of the BRK instruction, +0..7 clocks due to hub timing that is part of the picture.

I need to fix the long-standing PASM hub addressing bug tonight, then I will post it.
  • The day I downloaded and unpacked it, it ran fine.
    But the next day it had happened to it. Defender put it in quarantine. By allowing it in Defender, it can be run.
    But it says threat found: Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.B
    Sincerely
    Does anyone have problems with v34u, which is not compressed?
    Tubular wrote: »
    The one I remember is Lzexe, some history and info here

I used to use that lzexe packer a long time ago. It was great for DOS programs.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-07-19 21:00
    cgracey wrote: »

Installs with no problem on WIN7 Pro, but WIN10 Pro still complains about the .exe, but was able to "Run Anyway".

It was Windows Defender on WIN10 that complained, but it was a few mouse clicks to accept the use.
  • @cgracey
    So far V34u looks good.
    Old code that was broken is working again. ;)
    I will try more code to verify.
    Thanks!

• Publison wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »

Installs with no problem on WIN7 Pro, but WIN10 Pro still complains about the .exe, but was able to "Run Anyway".

It was Windows Defender on WIN10 that complained, but it was a few mouse clicks to accept the use.

The same with my Windows 8.1 Pro machine, using the zipped file, as posted at the first post.
    So far, so good. Win10 Pro 1909 18363.959 x64 - only use Windows Defender, no other AV software.

I have unzipped, then renamed the folder as I usually do. Compiled and run blink.spin2 successfully. Created a shortcut on the taskbar without problems and can run pnut from here too.