Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 HDMI connector to VGA connector - passive / active options — Parallax Forums

P2 HDMI connector to VGA connector - passive / active options

This discussion is about breaking out from HDMI connectors, to good old VGA (for legacy monitors etc). As time marches forward putting a HDMI connector on a new board design makes sense

I ordered a few cables from eBay to survey the current scene. To my surprise these cheap cables actually include active chips, which do actually work with the PCs and GoPro I have tested with.

To be honest I was really hoping for just a cheap passive cable, and this is an interesting turn of events. I think Cluso was also looking into this. I will keep searching...

4032 x 3024 - 3M
4032 x 3024 - 3M

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Hehe, when you actually want a cheap wires-only cable, you find they all have silicon in them ;)

Do those power from the HDMI side ? Are they VGA > HDMI, or HDMI -> VGA ?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    It certainly makes sense for consumer products to be a full converter. An actual passive built cable is entirely repurposing the connector for something other than HDMI.

• Yeah I was trying to use cost as a 'filter' to remove the possibility of something active

Yes, these power entirely from the HDMI side, and are HDMI->VGA using the chips in the photos. I have some separate VGA->HDMI converters, which use a different chip

P2 is going to be a great ''repurposer". The nice thing about the hdmi connectors is they have 8 pins carried out, so we can do all this and more

• Not HDMI, but this is an off the shelf adapter from VGA to a small 6 pin connector.
    https://olimex.com/Products/Components/Cables/A20-VGA-CABLE/

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Tubular wrote: »
    Yes, these power entirely from the HDMI side, and are HDMI->VGA using the chips in the photos.

Do any of those low cost chips include Audio ?

• Interesting adapter Saucy. I'm just getting reacquainted with whats out there now. The landscape has changed a lot since I last looked

@jmg yes one of those includes line out 3.5mm jack for audio.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    The one I pulled apart had the QFN chip. The pcb had an 3.5mm audio connector and the footprint (ie not fitted) for mini/micro USB connector for power.
  • Don't suppose you found any passive cable versions Cluso?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Ordered a cable a few days ago. Hoping it’s passive. Won’t be here for weeks :(