Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any Heathkit Fans Out There? — Parallax Forums

Any Heathkit Fans Out There?

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
edited 2020-04-04 23:35 in General Discussion
Plenty of Heathkit manuals online at https://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit

Edit: parent page at https://www.vintage-radio.info has lots of other radio info.

All my vintage ham gear is Heathkit, so I save these for reference. Fun to look at even if you're not repairing your latest Ebay or swapmeet find. Like a walk down memory lane!

Availability of these manuals comes & goes whenever the Heath name changes hands. Get 'em while you can.

Comments

• I have a heathkit oscilloscope that I built back in the day. Laying around in the closet since it's a beast and my parallax scope does the job.

I also at one time had a heathkit RC radio kit with 3 servos. The servos were miniature size and had one IC back then. The radio was analog in the ham band I believe. Ended up selling it since the plane it was used with crashed.

Mike
  • Cool site. Found it a while back looking for a manual for my triple supply. Which still works great!
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2020-04-05 17:05
    You betcha there's a Heathkit fan out here! Thanks for the post, Erco.

I built a number of o'scopes, VTVMs, and waveform generators for my high school's electronics class. I was just learning the subject, so a lot of the kit internals were voodoo to me. BUT, they sparked my interest even more. In 1972, I bought and built an AA-1214 "integrated stereo amplifier" that I still use to this day. A few years ago, an AR-1214 stereo receiver was sniped off Ebay. After doing some repair, it's in use in my lab, connected to a couple of hand-built speaker cabs loaded with Radio Shack components.

Heathkit documentation has been the standard I use when judging my own, and other's, writings.
  • There used to be a lot more manuals online. But it seems like someone bought the name and had many manuals removed.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    YessireeBob!

BAMA (boat anchor manual archive) used to have them all but had to delete a few years back when someone claimed the IP. Now they are loading back up.

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/

Real Heathkit manuals still fetch a fair price on Ebay. Unbuilt Heathkits are solid gold.

Here's a repro crystal radio kit for $140 shipped! https://www.ebay.com/itm/293535802296

• As a teen, I saved up my TV Guide route money for months to buy a Heath HR-10 receiver kit. IIRC, it was $79. When it arrived, I assembled it, doing the soldering with a wood-burning pencil. My uncle, who taught me Morse code, had a signal generator and scope and helped me tune the coils. He also lent me his Heath DX-20 transmitter and a handful of crystals when I got my novice license. I operated CW on 40m and 15m using an inverted V antenna, strung from the house to a couple trees. I've always loved the technical stuff -- not so much the communicating once everything was working.

-Phil
  • I've built a few of those heath counters in the past 4100's. Was good rpm readout, coupled with a 60 gear and mag pickup. I still keep my heath 3600 on my bench for a quick handy freq. gen.
    Knight kits are also a favorite.
  • Thanks for the link. I found the the manual there for a tunnel dipper that I held onto despite a burned out tunnel diode. Maybe I can find a replacement somewhere.

Here's my 6-transistor portable radio, GR-151. Still works, but the controls are scratchy and the leather case is cracked. The manual is dated 12/1/1961. Wow, such fat transistors! "All the transistors in the radio are of the germanium type, although silicon transistors could be made to perform satisfactorily also." :wink:

720 x 540 - 128K
  • @"Tracy Allen" ,
    That looks like an AM radio, what no FM?

That can't be the original speaker. It should be dust by now.

Mike
    @"Tracy Allen" Transistors? What are those? All my Heathkit gear has vacuum tubes! Yes for real!

Just as Phipi described, I spent my paper route money on ham gear (and a hang glider, but that's for another forum). When I was 15 and lived in Virginia, I had the classic Novice station: HR-10B receiver, DX-60B transmitter and an HG-10B VFO, the latter being the only one I built myself. This was all CW (morse code) equipment and I had a blast. Learned a lot from my local Elmer (affectionate term for a helpful experienced ham).

I got a great email out of the blue last year. One of my random CW contacts from 1976 tracked me up on the web and sent photos of his wall of QSL cards, including mine. After making contact, hams snail-mailed their station postcards to each other to verify. Some people try to earn the "Work All States" award for making contacts in all 50 states.
    533 x 400 - 49K
    533 x 400 - 32K
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2020-04-06 20:47
    Yes, AM, loopstick antenna. Can barely read the gold markings on the tuning dial. Original speaker. The sound is very thin though. There are three electrolytic capacitors in the circuit. Do you think the 100µF one next to T3 in the attached photo might have something to do with bad performance? Haha. I have no idea how it blew its top, but you can see how dried out it is. That capacitor is simply a filter across the 9V battery (6 * C cells). I don't recall, but maybe it let out magic smoke as a consequence of a reversed battery. There is a 10µF electrolytic right next to the leg of the volume control and below the gold-plated transistor, and that one is directly in the audio path, coupling the output of the diode detector into the first audio stage. That cap is suspect even though it hasn't blown its top.

It's been a long time since I last looked at this. The educational value of the manual is outstanding, vintage Heathkit.
    720 x 540 - 110K
  • Tracy, it is always worth recapping any device that old if you wish to keep it operational. Even if the caps aren't bad, which they are if they've blown an end, modern equivalents will perform better anyway. Most likely the cap across the battery is there to do what a bypass cap does for an IC in a modern design, keep the voltage up during momentary surges of power drain that might pull the battery voltage down. They probably put it there because the internal resistance of a 9V battery is pretty high.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2020-04-07 00:46
    Erco, I too lived in Virginia when I was 15, WN4ONJ, then WA4VAH. When I moved to CA at 17, I became WB6VBQ, a call that takes forever to pound out in morse code. My first rig was a Navy surplus boat anchor held together with 100s of screws. However, like Phil, I was more interested in the gear and experimenting with antennas and weird circuits. That's where the tunnel dipper came in, and Heathkit's cheapest oscilloscope with around 100kHz bandwidth. Moving to CA, I abandoned the Navy rig, and got a commercial xmtr and vfo from Globe Electronics.

At the UC Berkeley dorms, my assigned roommate was one of these guys who can hear morse code as if it were his mother tongue, and he was big into DX, and he collected QSL cards and travelled to distant S. Pacific islands for the contests. Once we set up for ARRL field day out in the hills near the Russian River, one tent for CW and one for SSB. A couple of representatives from a local hippy commune paid us a visit to complain about the waves and the bad karma and the truly annoying noise from the generator. We didn't do very well, blamed it on the sunspots. I lost interest in the hobby not too long after that, but it was a fun start into electronics.
    localroger wrote: »
    Tracy, it is always worth recapping any device that old if you wish to keep it operational.

New devices too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague talks about the crappy NEW electrolytics that have failed recently. What a shame to think that a lot of newish consumer electronics have been thrown out just due to bad caps. While running a few years ago, I found a beautiful monitor on the curb and brought it home. All it took was replacing a few caps to get it working again.

I have a 42" plasma TV at home in the garage that I'm debating parting with. Bought ~2006 from Fry's (whodat?). Now it works fine for 30 minutes, then the colors get all jacked up as it warms up. Surely a capacitor issue and an easy fix if I decide to do it. But it weighs a ton and gets hot in use. I can buy a brand new featherweight LED that size for $150... so tempting. The pros & cons of living in a disposable society.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2020-04-07 04:49
    My uncle was a huge Heathkit fan, and doubtlessly the reason I bought a Heathkit. He had all of their boat-anchor equipment (RX-1 receiver, TX-1 transmitter, HA-10 linear amp). There was a power supply that sat on the floor whose mercury-vapor rectifier tubes glowed purple in sync with the carrier modulation. His antenna was a cubical quad, mounted atop a huge windmill-like tower. This was all AM and CW stuff -- well before SSB became the norm for voice.

He took me to the FCC office in Indianapolis for my general class exam. He thought I'd flunk the 13 wpm code test because I had given up longhand for printing and couldn't transcribe fast enough. But I managed to pass anyway, mainly due to the FCC's Morse being tempo perfect, compared to the Smile I'd been practicing with (me, keying random characters -- so I couldn't memorize the sequence -- onto audio tape and playing it back).

-Phil
    Was WN9HJK,WA9HJK
    Now AD7YF (but inactive)
  • Well, kickstarter has a morse key unit for backing: the-spirit-morse-key.

Mike
    Jeepers, dude wants $200 for a KEYER???

I slammed out my own keyer (built & programmed) in about 2 hours to show a local ham club. There was interest if I'd make a kit. I didn't take it very seriously but if this guy actually sells these in any quantity I may have to reconsider!

This could easily be done with a BS-1, Ken! Wanna go halfsies?

• Well it's funded so I guess they don't care.

What? you didn't use a cloths pin. No fare using 3D printed parts.

Mike
    Nothing 3D printed there, that's all hand fabbed inside a project box.

But yes, I have always been a fan of found objects to build quickly. Paper clips, rubber bands, coat hangers, duct tape, etc. Gap-filling superglue & baking soda still save my bacon regularly.

I have been known to drill 2 parts together and just leave the drill bit in as a hinge pin. :)

But this model needed two pivots, so I had to use screws instead.
  • erco wrote: »
    Plenty of Heathkit manuals online at https://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit

Edit: parent page at https://www.vintage-radio.info has lots of other radio info.

All my vintage ham gear is Heathkit, so I save these for reference. Fun to look at even if you're not repairing your latest Ebay or swapmeet find. Like a walk down memory lane!

Availability of these manuals comes & goes whenever the Heath name changes hands. Get 'em while you can.

My father managed one of the stores in our area. I used to love going to see him "at the office." My first soldering experience was with one of their kits (a blinky PCB with an R2D2-like silkscreen). Unfortunately, Heathkit folded before I was fully hooked on hardware. It would take another 30-ish years before I came back to it. But I never forgot Heathkit or the joy I experienced going there.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2020-04-12 00:23
    I recall a work acquaintance built a very nice paddle keyer back in the early 70's. A truly nice build.

Alas, I never achieved enough morse to get the full call, and now of course it's not required anymore.

I obtained my limited license in 1970 VK2ZTZ but let it lapse about 10 years ago since I hadn't been active for many many years - computers took over all my spare time.

However, I always regret not getting my morse license.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    Erco, your timing couldn't be more...timely. An hour ago I inherited an IM-5210 40 kV probe. A friend saw it at a 2nd hand store and immediately thought of me. Pleased to find the manual in your link!

(What was this friend doing at a 2nd hand store right now? No idea. But it was my wife's first question to me, just before she handed me a Clorox wipe.)
  • I have a Heathkit ET-3400 microprocessor trainer using the Motorola 6800. Actually, it's really a Heath/Zenith ETW-3400 so it wasn't built from a kit. I bought it used and haven't had a chance to do much with it yet other than verify that it works. I had a SWTP 6800 computer that I built ages ago and thought I'd like to play with the 6800 again so I picked up the ET-3400 for nothing at a garage sale.
    K2 wrote: »
    Erco, your timing couldn't be more...timely. An hour ago I inherited an IM-5210 40 kV probe.

Sounds like a great Corona project, versus the Turkey projects we do a Thanksgiving.
  • iseries wrote: »
    I have a heathkit oscilloscope that I built back in the day. Laying around in the closet since it's a beast and my parallax scope does the job.

Mike

I had a hand-me-down heathkit o'scope as a kid.

I have a printed catalog from the 70s somewhere

• David Betz wrote: »
    I have a Heathkit ET-3400 microprocessor trainer using the Motorola 6800. Actually, it's really a Heath/Zenith ETW-3400 so it wasn't built from a kit. I bought it used and haven't had a chance to do much with it yet other than verify that it works. I had a SWTP 6800 computer that I built ages ago and thought I'd like to play with the 6800 again so I picked up the ET-3400 for nothing at a garage sale.

Would you believe that at nearly every VCF East event (next one those three days in October!) I see someone's lovingly restored SWTP 6800 computer, and at a guy's table for buying stuff a bundle of the trainers? Well not last year. But before they moved the sale items tables they were seen there.

I complemented his talent at building it, and said it reminded me of how Lancaster would lay out his designs. Turns out SWTP might have been inspired by the consultant Don Lancaster.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I have a Heathkit ET-3400 microprocessor trainer using the Motorola 6800. Actually, it's really a Heath/Zenith ETW-3400 so it wasn't built from a kit. I bought it used and haven't had a chance to do much with it yet other than verify that it works. I had a SWTP 6800 computer that I built ages ago and thought I'd like to play with the 6800 again so I picked up the ET-3400 for nothing at a garage sale.

Would you believe that at nearly every VCF East event (next one those three days in October!) I see someone's lovingly restored SWTP 6800 computer, and at a guy's table for buying stuff a bundle of the trainers? Well not last year. But before they moved the sale items tables they were seen there.

I complemented his talent at building it, and said it reminded me of how Lancaster would lay out his designs. Turns out SWTP might have been inspired by the consultant Don Lancaster.
    I'm kind of sorry I sold my SWTP 6800/6809 but I'm not really a hardware person and I figured someone who was would get more out of it than I would. I think I had a 16K expansion board that wasn't working and I didn't really have the knowledge to fix it. I can understand why there are so many ET-3400 trainers out there. They really aren't that useful since they only have 128 bytes of RAM. I'd be happy to give mine to someone who could make good use of it.

• David? Why didn't you ask? I can certainly use it.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2020-04-13 03:05
    @"David Betz", Same goes for my IMSAI 8080. Originally 8080 then Z80 CPU. Kinda grew up like Johnny Cash's Cadillac. One piece at a time starting with front panel, I8080 CPU power supply and 4k ram. Originally had an ASR-33 hooked up to it when stationed at Mare Island, CA (started its life with just front panel for I/O last few months of High school). Ended up with a Heathkit HZ-19 terminal, maxed ram, twin 8: floppies, the works. I think I sold it for about $400 in late 80s. Hate seeing the prices on Ebay and elsewhere......... Was a fin machine to learn and run.
  • I see a few of those EC-1 tube computers on Ebay