Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need device similar to Life Alert: push button on remote to summon help from a deaf person — Parallax Forums

Need device similar to Life Alert: push button on remote to summon help from a deaf person

My aunt is in need of a device that she can keep with her at all times, if/when she has a seizure she needs to be able to push a button and have a flashing light activate in another room in order to notify her deaf son that she is in need of some assistance.

The devices like this that I have found all send signals outside the home in order to get help. That is not what we are after. I am told that they make doorbells for deaf people that activate a flashing light. Something like that coupled to a small remote seems like a good solution.

I would prefer a commercial solution, if one exists. If not then I would appreciate advice on a high quality, very reliable and robust remote that can be used in conjunction with the flashing light doorbell.

Comments

• You could use a keyfob and reciever module and connect it to a relay
  • You can buy them on amazon. Comes with a relay. About $15
  • This is what I use in the shop to control the dust collector. Works nice. Its velcro’ed to the tablesaw. Should do what you need it to do.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Fosmon-Electrical-Weatherproof-Included/dp/B072F9DGRL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=remote+switch&qid=1582120635&sprefix=remote+swi&sr=8-3
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    The vibrating watch looks like it could be a good solution, but not quite what we are looking for. It would require an extra step to make sure that it is always charged - and worn at all times. The remote relay could probably work, I use one in my shop for a vacuum but to use one of those would require combining several components. I need to keep the DIY aspect to an absolute minimum because I won't be nearby to fix or maintain it. Her family is quite a bit different than mine when it comes to "handy-ness". You would be amused to learn about this in more detail - suffice it to say that they would be good candidates for a reality TV show.

I have found a bunch of wireless doorbells for the hearing impaired, but I only found one that looked like it would fit my requirements. Most of them require the receiver to be plugged into an outlet, only one I could find that runs off batteries. Being able to run off batteries is desirable because the freedom to mount the strobe(s) where it will be most visible is very important.

I've got three of these on order, they seem to have good reviews. I'll look them over carefully, make some kind of small enclosure so that the remote can be worn on a necklace, test thoroughly and then send them on to my cousin so that he can install the receivers.
    Wireless-Doorbell-Flashing-Hearing-Impaired
    21dWfiSHA3L.jpg
  • I had an idea a while back to use an accelerometer a while back to detect falls but turns out a phone app (more than one by now) beat me to it. Probably one out there for smart watches as well. Not sure it will put an end to the "Help me, I've fallen down and can't get up" ads. Also, I have not looked into it due to disinterest, but there seems to be feedback for advertising that if you want more info on an ad, shake the phone.Perhaps an app exists or can be created that someone could shake their phone or wrist and have it send a text to someone or trigger an alarm etc. Might be within the ability of someone not completely incapacitated by a seizure.

On the other hand, she may also want to look into the possibility of a device called a Vagus Nerve Stimulator. Yeah, I know, sounds like snake oil if one is not familiar with seizures and their control. But they do work to detect seizure activity and tingles the vagus nerve when seizures are detected. Many times it is enough to hold off an event. Sometimes meds are still required. depends on the person. She should contact her neurologist to see if it would help her quality of life. Probably covered depending on her insurance. The device is implanted in the same manner as a pacemaker, and the lead is placed on the vagus nerve.

On the down side, I don't know of a VNS that can signal externally to indicate a seizure is in progress, and that is the inherent problem with nearly all of the above ideas, only a fall detection would automatically generate an alarm. Everything else seems to require some level of awareness and control, and that is not always going to be the case. Certainly not in the event of an absence or other type where the individual has no control in the moment of the event and will not be able to signal unless they can recognize the onset in time to signal. Perhaps a smartwatch or phone app to act as a watchdog the wearer has to tap it when it signals and it alarms if not tapped in a certain amount of time, but that would be a royal pain for the user and monitoring person in very short order. Nothing about dealing with seizures is easy, Wish you the best for the long haul.