Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
1080p tile driver (P1 style) - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

1080p tile driver (P1 style)

13»

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,896
    Yes, not the latest though.
    I modified the assembly to automatically update x and y values in the main code, whenever mous moves.
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,346
    Rayman wrote: »
    Just in case you still want to do this, this version has a FlexProp C main interface and more separated Spin2 drivers.
    Compiles with latest version of FlexProp C (4.5.0).

I'm curious as to how one can use Spin drivers with Catalina...
    Would you run Spin2Cpp on it and then include assembly as binary blob?

This just shows a blue screen, but the mouse works.

Thanks, I'll have a look. The architecture of the Propeller, where most of the work is usually done in PASM in a separate cog, makes incorporating drivers into a high-level language fairly simple. In general, I just discard the Spin parts of a driver entirely (or rewrite them in C, which is usually fairly trivial) and instead use the PASM code pretty much "as is".
    Ok thanks, that makes sense.
    Pure c and assembly is probably superior for legibility and portability.
    Not sure yet how important portability is in this particular instance, but still probably better as you suggest.

On the other hand it is nice when porting from spin2 to sorta cheat a bit and leave some parts in spin.
    edited 2020-11-02 14:54
    In this version, I've swapped out the palette for one with the 216 websafe colors, starting from black. Then, there's a few more shades of gray. Then, there are some extras that can be application specific.

Also, I think I've found a way to use structures to define the form data such as colors, elements, size and position, etc.
    The attached now shows a blank form with title...

But, my C isn't so great and maybe there's a better way to do it.
    The current way defines this stuff as global data. That seems to have some limitations.
    My main hangup is how to make a list of objects for the form and have a pointer to that be part of the form structure.
    This way uses this structure to do it:
    typedef struct {
        FormObject* p[MaxFormObjects];
    } FormObjectList;

This seems to work, but seems wasteful when the form does not have so many objects as MaxFormObjects in reality.
    Had to do a similar thing for strings that define the text of an object like this:
    char text[MaxFormText];

Maybe this is just a trivial amount of bytes and I shouldn't worry about it.
    But, if somebody sees a better way, please let me know.
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,505
    edited 2020-11-02 15:58

But, my C isn't so great and maybe there's a better way to do it.
    The current way defines this stuff as global data. That seems to have some limitations.
    My main hangup is how to make a list of objects for the form and have a pointer to that be part of the form structure.
    This way uses this structure to do it:
    typedef struct {
        FormObject* p[MaxFormObjects];
    } FormObjectList;

This seems to work, but seems wasteful when the form does not have so many objects as MaxFormObjects in reality.
    Had to do a similar thing for strings that define the text of an object like this:
    char text[MaxFormText];

Maybe this is just a trivial amount of bytes and I shouldn't worry about it.
    But, if somebody sees a better way, please let me know.

Well, in most cases, the FormObjectLists would be either defined at compile time or generated at runtime with a known limit, right?

So you could use arrays of variable size and use a null pointer to signal the end of the list.

Or you could store the FormObjects directly inside the list and have a special "end list" type.

You'd then pass around the pointer to such an array.

Another alternative is to have the FormObjects form (heh) a linked list, but those aren't nice to define as static data (in plain C, anyways. C++ is better at it).

Also, I am reminded of ye olde Allegro 4 GUI system. That one used/uses arrays of DIALOG structs that looked like this:
    typedef struct DIALOG
    {
       int (*proc)(int, DIALOG *, int);
       int x, y, w, h;               /* position and size of the object */
       int fg, bg;                   /* foreground and background colors */
       int key;                      /* keyboard shortcut (ASCII code) */
       int flags;                    /* flags about the object state */
       int d1, d2;                   /* any data the object might require */
       void *dp, *dp2, *dp3;         /* pointers to more object data */
    } DIALOG;

The interesting part is the proc function pointer. Aside from signalling end-of-list when NULL, it forms a basic event dispatching system - whenever anything needs to happen to an object, it gets called. The first parameter is the message type. This includes MSG_START/MSG_END when the object is created/destroyed, MSG_DRAW when the object needs redrawing, MSG_CLICK when it is clicked, etc. The DIALOG* is a pointer to the object in question and the meaning of the second int depends on the message (i.e. character codes for keyboard-related events). The function can then return a status code, such as D_REDRAWME/D_REDRAW to request redrawing this object/all objects, D_USED_CHAR if a typd character was consumed, etc.

This design made it really flexible and easy to extend with custom objects.
    edited 2020-11-02 16:39
    Thanks, that looks similar to what I'm doing.
    Using 0 pointer to signify end of list.

The "void *dp" seems to be one way to do it, but I think the value has to be assigned inside a function, right?
    For example, if I wanted to to point to a char array, seems I have to make the assignment inside a function, which I didn't want to do.
    (or maybe I should try this again).

That first line "int (*proc)(int, DIALOG *, int);" is way over my head !
    I've never used function pointers.
    Seems that in C++ there are easier ways to do all this stuff...
    edited 2020-11-02 16:38
    Now that I think about it more, function pointers might be useful for things like buttons, where maybe you want an "OnClick" function pointer...

Yeah, function pointers is a great idea, that's what I need to do (probably).
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,505
    edited 2020-11-02 16:49
    The "void *dp" seems to be one way to do it, but I think the value has to be assigned inside a function, right?
    For example, if I wanted to to point to a char array, seems I have to make the assignment inside a function, which I didn't want to do.

Of course you can assign pointers in static data.
    struct MYSTRUCT {
        char *ctest;
        int itest;
        struct MYSTRUCT *stest;
    };

struct MYSTRUCT mycon = { "Onek",1,&mycon2 };
    struct MYSTRUCT mycon2 = { NULL,2,&mycon2 };

The above is perfectly valid C.
    That first line "int (*proc)(int, DIALOG *, int);" is way over my head !
    I've never used function pointers.
    Seems that in C++ there are easier ways to do all this stuff...

The function pointer syntax is stupid. "int (*proc)(int, DIALOG *, int)" is a pointer named "proc" to a function like this
    int something(int msg,DIALOG *this, int c) {
      switch(msg) {
        // Do stuff
      }
    }

// And it is then used as such

DIALOG my_diag[] = {
      {
        &something,
        // more data, you get the point
      },
      {NULL},