Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chat with Chip about the Propeller 2 -Dec 18, 2019 01:00 PM Pacific — Parallax Forums

Chat with Chip about the Propeller 2 -Dec 18, 2019 01:00 PM Pacific

Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
edited 2019-12-19 02:39 in Propeller 2
Date Time: Dec 18, 2019 01:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Just a little reminder.

I got home in time to watch it and I'm excited :)

Edit:
Chip added the code he demoed and a copy of the updated Pnut he used. The download link is below in Chip's post:

3000 x 3275 - 960K

Comments

• [img][/img]
    3000 x 3275 - 338K
  • Thanks Chip,Ken, Jeff, that was very informative and allot 0f fun!!

:)

• Great webinar by Chip, Ken, Jeff, and backed by the Parallax team. Certainly to remember. I'm glad I could participate!

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • Oops - I missed it? Is there a transcript somewhere like the one on Hackaday that I can read?
  • lazarus666 wrote: »
    Oops - I missed it? Is there a transcript somewhere like the one on Hackaday that I can read?
    It will be available on YouTube. No worries!

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Thanks for coming, Guys.

Here is a .zip file that contains the latest PNut.exe and the file I used today in the webinar:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PVJCOR5DSbFCyQ4Fx41ZlEKxvcYDeMNK/view?usp=sharing
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,861
    edited 2019-12-19 00:27
    That PNut includes Spin2 (but not 100% working yet), right?

Inline assembly is going to be incredibly useful...
    Wish we had that in P1...
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2019-12-19 01:31
    Rayman wrote: »
    That PNut includes Spin2 (but not 100% working yet), right?

Inline assembly is going to be incredibly useful...
    Wish we had that in P1...

You can make methods, but it may not work with objects, yet. There are a dozen little things that need attention.

I just make an Untitled.spin2 file which I use Ctrl-L to compile. Then, in another PNut.exe instance, I compile and download spin2_interpreter.spin2, which includes the Untitled.obj file, effectively running it.
  • @cgracey
    Here is a .zip file that contains the latest PNut.exe and the file I used today in the webinar:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PVJCOR5DSbFCyQ4Fx41ZlEKxvcYDeMNK/view?usp=sharing

Thanks! for the code Chip. :)

• That was fun. I am particularly excited about inline PASM inside Spin2.
  • I'm currently downloading the video and we will upload to Parallax's YouTube account.

It should be available on Thursday.

Thanks!

Ken Gracey
  • I was at work and couldn't make this one, but I'm looking forward to watching the video.

Super excited to build P2 into some retro computer projects, P1 has been great for console I/O boards.
  • Thank for doing the vid Ken.
    Wish I could have been there today, but "no can do" from work.
  • Same as @"Roy Eltham"

Thanks Ken. I will watch with interest.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Unfortunately missed it as was at work but looking forward to watching it tonight.
  • Thanks Ken, Chip, Jeff and all the others. That was an amazing demonstration of what can be done with the P2. The chip is definitely very powerful. You can achieve impressing things with very tight code.

However, there's a lot of work to be done before everybody can participate. Especially for somebody like me who hasen't followed all the development process the bigggest problem at the moment is the lack (or "well-hidden-ness") of documentation. For the P1 I could go to the menu in the propeller tool and click on "propeller help - useful tables". Together with some basic understanding of how the chip works, the data sheet and those tables I had everything I needed.

The P2 documentaion is still very sparse. There is a list of all ASM instructiuons but I have to admit I don't understand everything. Probably, I have to reverse engineer sample code to find out how it works.

Please don't take this as criticism. Everybody of the community here has done a great job. I just want to tell that I'm eagerly waiting for more to come...
  • The video is now up:

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Just watched this :)
    Shame the ending is missing but I know how theses things go.

That last demo on sensing was awesome!

And the inline PASM within spin with access to the variables is really neat.

One thing almost missed in the noise was the clock speed. I know Chip mentioned that his demo was 250MHz and he’s run some things at 320MHz and Pete runs at 360MHz. Just thought I would repeat here for the non-regular readers.
  • And the inline PASM within spin with access to the variables is really neat.

I am very excited about that.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    Isn't it time to reserve P3 as a trade mark, now P2 is established?