Beware of the scammers

Beware of the scammers. I just received the email in the screenshot posted below. Although the spelling and grammar was much better than the typical scammer email there were several red flags.

1 - The use of “limited” instead of “limit” in the body of the email.

2 - The From: service@paypaI.com <j64Kjb-JnhBHgyT34.rigayunah42@1774-politikus53.j64kjbb.KJnbhG34Hga.pp-id-66582928.com>

3 - Instructing me to click on a link instead of logging in to my account in the usual manner. Hovering over the “Log in Now” and the “contact us” link shows the destination address as http://gg.gg/fxcmo . Not even a secure link.

In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
1008 x 1100 - 113K

Comments

• Busted, dammit!
    Failure is not an option...it's bundled with the software.
  • Ken, that order for 500 P2s? Might need to postpone it :lol:
    Failure is not an option...it's bundled with the software.
  • NEVER login to any of your accounts from an email -- even if you think it's from a valid vendor.
    Jon McPhalen
    Hollywood, CA
    It's Jon or JonnyMac -- please do not call me Jonny.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    NEVER login to any of your accounts from an email -- even if you think it's from a valid vendor.

Yes, there's always a chance the vendors account was hacked, and then the hackers sending you a phising email from it. That has been going on a lot lately.
  • Typical scam.
    I see a lot of those, but never on the e-mail address registered with PayPal. Just for fun I was tempted to give them the classic e-mail address that Microsoft wanted us to use to test Outlook and the simple client that came with IE.
    And that was (wait for it) someone@microsoft.com and then give the scammer the password of PASSWORD.

I did not do that. I decided that its bad enough they are desperate to try to make money by scamming us, but making them look foolish would not work.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    NEVER login to any of your accounts from an email -- even if you think it's from a valid vendor.

I agree. I see one of those scammers, I immediately open a new tab and log into PayPal there to check to see if there's something wrong.

However.... Where did that mountain lion come from? I know they are getting active again in LA but this is pushing it...
  • I had a teacher a few years ago who's account was used to send me an email regarding my auto insurance (I am 15 now, 12 when it happened) payments. Well that was a red flag. Ironic part is that she had headed the robotics for elementary three or so years prior.
    Returning to Spin after two months of not coding micros at all, forgetting to use :=
  • My Yahoo account was once session-jacked (they gained send/receive access but fortunately couldn't change the settings to fully take it over since they didn't have the password) and they sent a scam email from "me" not just to my contacts but to every address I'd sent to or received an email from in the last three years. I suspect this happened on the Yahoo end but I had to spend a whole day sending followup emails letting everyone know what happened, since the emails from "me" were "genuine."