Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beware of the scammers — Parallax Forums

Beware of the scammers

Beware of the scammers. I just received the email in the screenshot posted below. Although the spelling and grammar was much better than the typical scammer email there were several red flags.

1 - The use of “limited” instead of “limit” in the body of the email.

2 - The From: service@paypaI.com <j64Kjb-JnhBHgyT34.rigayunah42@1774-politikus53.j64kjbb.KJnbhG34Hga.pp-id-66582928.com>

3 - Instructing me to click on a link instead of logging in to my account in the usual manner. Hovering over the “Log in Now” and the “contact us” link shows the destination address as http://gg.gg/fxcmo . Not even a secure link.

1008 x 1100 - 113K

Comments

• Busted, dammit!
  • Ken, that order for 500 P2s? Might need to postpone it :lol:
  • NEVER login to any of your accounts from an email -- even if you think it's from a valid vendor.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    NEVER login to any of your accounts from an email -- even if you think it's from a valid vendor.

Yes, there's always a chance the vendors account was hacked, and then the hackers sending you a phising email from it. That has been going on a lot lately.
  • Typical scam.
    I see a lot of those, but never on the e-mail address registered with PayPal. Just for fun I was tempted to give them the classic e-mail address that Microsoft wanted us to use to test Outlook and the simple client that came with IE.
    And that was (wait for it) someone@microsoft.com and then give the scammer the password of PASSWORD.

I did not do that. I decided that its bad enough they are desperate to try to make money by scamming us, but making them look foolish would not work.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    NEVER login to any of your accounts from an email -- even if you think it's from a valid vendor.

I agree. I see one of those scammers, I immediately open a new tab and log into PayPal there to check to see if there's something wrong.

However.... Where did that mountain lion come from? I know they are getting active again in LA but this is pushing it...
  • I had a teacher a few years ago who's account was used to send me an email regarding my auto insurance (I am 15 now, 12 when it happened) payments. Well that was a red flag. Ironic part is that she had headed the robotics for elementary three or so years prior.
  • My Yahoo account was once session-jacked (they gained send/receive access but fortunately couldn't change the settings to fully take it over since they didn't have the password) and they sent a scam email from "me" not just to my contacts but to every address I'd sent to or received an email from in the last three years. I suspect this happened on the Yahoo end but I had to spend a whole day sending followup emails letting everyone know what happened, since the emails from "me" were "genuine."