FlexProp: a complete programming system for P2 (and P1)

1234568»

Comments

• I've posted a new version (4.4.0) of flexgui to:

https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexgui/releases/tag/v4.4.0

This has a lot of bug fixes in the underlying compiler, and a few minor cosmetic changes to the GUI itself.

Note that as of this release I'm using a new signing certificate, which is a regular (ordinary validation) certificate rather than the extended validation (EV) certificate that was used before. The cost of renewing the EV certificate was ridiculous, they raised the price by approximately 700%!

Unfortunately, the OV certificate is not as strong, so you may see a dialog box to pop up the first time you run flexgui -- just click "OK" or whatever the option is in your anti-virus to proceed. I build these binaries on a Linux system using a cross compiler, so the chance that they're infected with a Windows virus is negligible.
  • Price gouging :(
    Nothing to stop virus writers paying for a certificate either.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Price gouging :(

Yeah, but when someone signs a virus, they know their name/address/etc
  • Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Names and addresses etc. can also be faked.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Wuerfel_21 wrote: »

Yes, but EV certificates involve a lot of validation. If they can't find multiple corroborating sources of information about you and the address you give them, you might actually get a physical visit from a person to make sure you are who you claim to be, before it'll be issued.
  • kwinn wrote: »

Yes, but EV certificates involve a lot of validation. If they can't find multiple corroborating sources of information about you and the address you give them, you might actually get a physical visit from a person to make sure you are who you claim to be, before it'll be issued.

Do you actually believe this???
  • More likely they’ll just not issue the certificate.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »

Do you actually believe this???

For a proper EV certificate? Yes. That's why they're so expensive.
  • FlexGUI has been renamed to FlexPropGUI in order to avoid conflict with another software product. It's still the same thing though. There's a new version (4.5.0) with many C and BASIC improvements and bug fixes, available at:

https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexprop/releases
  • And now I've put up a beta version of 5.0.0. This has the renaming complete, I hope. The package as a whole is called FlexProp. The GUI is technically "FlexPropGUI" but is usually abbreviated to just "FlexProp". The compilers are "flexspin" and "flexcc"; both can compile all of the languages supported by FlexProp, namely PASM, Spin 1, Spin 2, BASIC, and C. The GUI has a few minor tweaks including a new option to use fixed point math in place of floating point math.

Please give the new beta a try. The binary is at https://github.com/totalspectrum/flexprop/releases.
  • Thanks for all your efforts!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 11,372
    edited 2020-10-24 - 22:50:13
    @ersmith Thanks! Can I call the C compiler part of it "FlexProp C" ?

Is there any difference between "flexspin" and "flexcc"? Or, is it basically the same binary with two different names?
  • Rayman wrote: »
    @ersmith Thanks! Can I call the C compiler part of it "FlexProp C" ?
    You can call it "FlexProp C" if you'd like. I call it "FlexC" myself because that's shorter :).
    Is there any difference between "flexspin" and "flexcc"? Or, is it basically the same binary with two different names?

They have different options. In some cases they're different names for the same options (e.g. what might be "-a" in one might be "-b" in the other) but in a few cases there may be no equivalents, e.g. flexcc has a "-c" option to produce a .o file, and flexspin doesn't have anything like that yet (in flexspin "-c" outputs only the DAT section of a Spin file).