Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropGCC build issues — Parallax Forums

PropGCC build issues

I'm moving the discussion of building PropGCC to a new thread to avoid polluting Ross's Catalina thread.

DavidZemon: Do you use the "fix-xcode-warnings.sh" script when building the Linux or Windows version of the propeller-gcc repository? It was originally only needed for the Mac builds. If it's use for other builds maybe it should be renamed.

Comments

• I just pushed a similar fix to the propeller-gcc repository.
  • Nope, but I (relatively) recently added Mac builds to the ci server.
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    Nope, but I (relatively) recently added Mac builds to the ci server.
    Interesting. How do you do a Mac build on your server?

• Dgately was kind enough to set up a spare Mac he had in his house as a second slave for the build server. No magic here :)
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    Dgately was kind enough to set up a spare Mac he had in his house as a second slave for the build server. No magic here :)
    Ah, I thought maybe you had found a way to install Mac OS X on your server.

• David, are the Linux and Windows builds of propeller-gcc working?
  • I think something must have been wrong with the server. I applied updates and rebooted just now and it's started the build process. Hopefully it still works after a year without any builds :/
  • Yeah, there hasn't been much activity on PropGCC lately. We were waiting for Parallax to decide to start the P2 effort but now it seems that will not happen.
  • I tried to get the propgcc to work:
    source fix-xcode-warnings.sh
    export PREFIX=/opt/pxc
    make

The build-process ended with the known Issue 78.
    Is there any known effort to update to a more modern GCC version or at least fix the building-issues? The last changes are 4 years old, while GCC makes progress quiet fast.
    Or is this project dead and just kept online for legacy reasons?
  • If you want to see progress on this I recommend you contact Parallax directly.
  • RalfSt wrote: »
    I tried to get the propgcc to work:
    export PREFIX=/opt/pxc
    make

Is there any known effort to update to a more modern GCC version or at least fix the building-issues? The last changes are 4 years old, while GCC makes progress quiet fast.

See https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168418/building-propgcc-with-docker
  • RalfSt wrote: »
    I tried to get the propgcc to work:
    export PREFIX=/opt/pxc
    make

Don't know suse very well, but perhaps this will help you: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168418/building-propgcc-with-docker

And if not, then maybe you'd be content running all tools from the command line? https://hub.docker.com/r/davidzemon/propworld
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I'm moving the discussion of building PropGCC to a new thread to avoid polluting Ross's Catalina thread
    Not to de-rail this thread, but I get the following error when building PropGCC on macOS Mojave 10.14.5. Since my old iMac is the current TeamCity Mac-executables builder, I wanted to check to make sure that we can build propgcc. The following is from my MacBook Pro, which runs the latest macOS builds (the iMac runs a previous macOS version as it is an old CPU):
    $ g++ -std=gnu++11 -g -O2   -I. -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/common -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/config -DLOCALEDIR="\"/opt/parallax/share/locale\"" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../include/opcode -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../opcodes/.. -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../readline/.. -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../zlib -I../bfd -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../bfd -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../include -I../libdecnumber -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/../libdecnumber  -I/Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/gnulib/import -Ibuild-gnulib/import   -DTUI=1  -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wno-unused -Wunused-value -Wunused-function -Wno-switch -Wno-char-subscripts -Wempty-body -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wunused-but-set-variable -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-narrowing -Wformat-nonliteral -Werror -c -o gdb.o -MT gdb.o -MMD -MP -MF .deps/gdb.Tpo /Users/my_user_name/source/propgcc/binutils/gdb/gdb.c
    clang: error: treating 'c' input as 'c++' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated [-Werror,-Wdeprecated]

In my memory building binutils has always been problematic on macOS. There's always some workaround to get a complete PropGCC build.

Any ideas before I jump into the binutils directory and start debugging?

dgately
  • That's odd. My Mac mini is running Mojave 10.14.5 and it builds propgcc and propeller-gcc without any problems.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    That's odd. My Mac mini is running Mojave 10.14.5 and it builds propgcc and propeller-gcc without any problems.
    Interesting... My iMac that runs the TeamCity builds for macOS succeeds in building propgcc. So, I'm not too worried that my MacBook Pro does not. Might be due to the XCode Beta that I'm running on it or something that I've installed with Homebrew.

Looks like that gcc version that builds is 6.0.0. That is expected, correct?
    $ propeller-elf-gcc --version
    propeller-elf-gcc (propellergcc-alpha_v1_9_0_) 6.0.0 20150430 (experimental)
    Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

dgately
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2019-07-06 10:42
    Yes, I believe that the default for propeller-gcc is to build GCC 6. It actually builds out of Eric's GCC repository.

Edit: I just noticed that the propeller-gcc repository currently builds gcc4. I've changed my local copy to gcc6 and am attempting a build. If that works, I'll check that version into GitHub.