Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Measure Heading in Degrees — Parallax Forums

Measure Heading in Degrees

My son is doing a tactile maze competition. Last year he used a Vex IQ that had a gyro sensor that could measure the heading in degrees that the robot was traveling in. This was helpful as once it reached a wall, we could have the robot rotate 90 degrees and continue. However, I don't quite seem something similar in the Parallax world (he is using an ActivityBot 360 this year). I found the Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D but based on reading the data sheet, that seems to measure the rate of angular rotation as opposed to the heading itself. Does anyone have any insight on how might I best accomplish determining a heading or would it take a significant amount of coding and interpolation using the Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D?

Comments

• You need to use a magnetometer to determine heading.

You could use a gyroscope and keep track of the angler change as it goes but this is prone to errors as any small movement could cause it to drift.

Back in the day they use to sell "Compass Module 3-Axis HMC5883L (29133) " module that you could use but the item is hard to find these days as the manufacture has stopped making the unit.

These unit are now combined with an Accelerometer, and Gyroscope.

You need to check into this unit: "LSM9DS1 9-axis IMU Module (#28065) ".

Please note that this is a magnet measurement and any metal near the sensor will cause it to drift from true north. You will need to calibrate the unit in place with no large metal next to the sensor.

Mike
  • jreile wrote: »
    My son is doing a tactile maze competition. Last year he used a Vex IQ that had a gyro sensor that could measure the heading in degrees that the robot was traveling in. This was helpful as once it reached a wall, we could have the robot rotate 90 degrees and continue. However, I don't quite seem something similar in the Parallax world (he is using an ActivityBot 360 this year). I found the Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D but based on reading the data sheet, that seems to measure the rate of angular rotation as opposed to the heading itself. Does anyone have any insight on how might I best accomplish determining a heading or would it take a significant amount of coding and interpolation using the Gyroscope Module 3-Axis L3G4200D?

Firstly, welcome the the Forum!

Secondly, you have posted this question under Propeller 2 which is still in development and not relevant to your question.

In future, I think you'll be much better served posting in the Robotics category.

Regards,
    Anthony.
  • Moved to Robotics