Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Back playing with the Prop again — Parallax Forums

Back playing with the Prop again

It's been some time since I played with the propeller, but I've recently pulled my chips and components out again and gotten myself re-hooked on this awesome little chip! I think about 2009 was the last time I did anything with the prop, I was experimenting with interfacing the prop with my trucks engine management system and managed to blow one of the fuel injection driver mosfets, which ended up with me putting my stuff into storage and moving on to other past times.

I'm just running a DIP40 chip from a breadboard at the moment, but have pulled out some of my old board designs and made some revisions which I've sent off to JLCPCB to be made into PCB's. Can't wait to get soldering again!

32176270107_31b90d291a_k.jpg

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-02-17 02:40
    Looks like you don't have power and ground connected to both sides of the prop. This will likely blow the pll sooner or later. Also put some 0.1uF bypass cap on each power-ground pin on the prop (one each side).

Also a 1uF-10uF across the main power input on your breadboard. Tantalum is better but electrolytic will work. I presume your power supply is already regulated nicely.
  • So what is everything on the breadboard, besides the Prop? And how'd you manage to do in your truck management setup?
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Looks like you don't have power and ground connected to both sides of the prop. This will likely blow the pll sooner or later. Also put some 0.1uF bypass cap on each power-ground pin on the prop (one each side).

Also a 1uF-10uF across the main power input on your breadboard. Tantalum is better but electrolytic will work. I presume your power supply is already regulated nicely.

Thanks for that, I'll have a dig through my box and add the caps. I'll also add the power and gnd to the other sides of the prop.
    So what is everything on the breadboard, besides the Prop? And how'd you manage to do in your truck management setup?

Besides the prop-plug and the DC-DC converter, there is an SH-H3 bluetooth module (designed for an Arduino, but I've gotten it to work nicely with the prop).

I managed to blow the mosfet on my ECU by not using enough resistance while trying to read injector pulse width with the prop.
  • PainlessPainless Posts: 69
    edited 2019-02-17 21:01
    Made the suggested changes, now back to playing!

47127547991_62499bca98_k.jpg
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    It would be better if the power or ground near the xtal went to the same side as the other power and grounds.
  • Yes, you want to eliminate large loops, each power and ground should be routed together for low inductance
    if practical.