Trying To Locates A Recent OBEX Zip File - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Trying To Locates A Recent OBEX Zip File

2»

Comments

• You use Google Drive
    Or Microsoft's OneDrive
    Or Dropbox
    Or any other cloud service that makes you happy
  • Ok, for whoever wants the old OBEX website, I used HTTrack to download the whole thing last year. It is organized identically to the old OBEX site - and all the files are accurate and in the right places. It is OBEX.zip, so just unzip it to your computer, and run the index.html file.

The link to my folder in Google Drive is unrestricted (as far as I understand), so potentially we can end the complaints and move on. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hYmp_WAfH90n45Jx7Hqig_eIjjvqiY5Z?usp=sharing
  • Nice. It worked for me. Sure loads pages fast when it's all being served locally too :lol:
    Search doesn't work, unsurprisingly. But very cool :)
    Uses 1.1 GB uncompressed.
  • Ok, for whoever wants the old OBEX website, I used HTTrack to download the whole thing last year. It is organized identically to the old OBEX site - and all the files are accurate and in the right places. It is OBEX.zip, so just unzip it to your computer, and run the index.html file.

The link to my folder in Google Drive is unrestricted (as far as I understand), so potentially we can end the complaints and move on. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hYmp_WAfH90n45Jx7Hqig_eIjjvqiY5Z?usp=sharing

Do you have a copy of the old OBEX with "Author" names?
  • Once you have a site image unzipped you can use a generic file search tool like Agent Ransack to search it, which is much more powerful than the site search was anyway.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2020-08-14 22:47
    A word of warning...
    A friend of mine just had his Dropbox hacked!!!

He’s a professional programmer, and security is professionally administered in his organisation. They first took over his email, and immediately then took over his Dropbox. I don’t have all the details yet, but he changed the password on his Dropbox account which sent a confirmation to his email which was redirected to the hackers. Big problem because they then changed it again. He now has a new Dropbox account. Wasted most of the week on this!

We’re not sure how this was played out yet, but there is currently no evidence his PCs were hacked so we’re not sure what was compromised and in which order.

Just goes to show that Dropbox is not the safest solution. You still need backups. And, I would think that perhaps GIT and github could be in the same category.
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,374
    edited 2020-08-14 23:35
    Both Dropbox and GitHub support two-factor authentication, which is the solution to exactly that problem of being able to hack into any account with just access to someone's inbox.

(Also, the likelyhood of your account being hacked at the same time as your harddrive failing/getting lost/whatever is pretty slim, isn't it?)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2020-08-15 00:39
    Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    Both Dropbox and GitHub support two-factor authentication, which is the solution to exactly that problem of being able to hack into any account with just access to someone's inbox.
    Not sure this works when you are continually online where everything you do is copied to dropbox realtime. You would have to continuously log in???
    (Also, the likelyhood of your account being hacked at the same time as your harddrive failing/getting lost/whatever is pretty slim, isn't it?)
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how the hackers got in originally. We don't know this yet but it doesn't seem the PCs were compromised, nor the network. In this attack, backups were OK. And we have additional backups done over the network daily to offline hdds.
    Nevertheless, this is a worrying time, and of course lost productivity.

If dropbox was used for OBEX I'm not sure there would be a PC with a live copy of the data ???
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2020-08-15 01:56
    Git only propagates changes when you tell it to, and it normally keeps old versions of everything locally, so even if your github account got hacked and you pulled and got hacked garbage, you'd just tell your local copy to put it all back how it was. Because of how it uses cryptographic hashes, if you know a particular commit hash's 40-character value is correct, you can be sure that all of the files it contains and the entire commit history before that commit are authentic. The key feature of Git (shared by other all distributed version control systems I'm aware of) is that, even if servers are incredibly convenient, they are technically unnecessary and non-authoritative for it to work; you can just do everything with local copies. Git doesn't make any distinction between a remote server and another local copy on another computer you own and physically control.
  • I think people are getting paid to promote GitHub - and spread scare tactics. Quit wasting people's time.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    I have found a couple posts about the old OBEX site being more user-friendly than GITHUB. I can’t say I disagree however the move seems permanent. A while ago, some genius (name is somewhere on the forums I’m sure) saved the whole OBEX in a single .zip and I was fortunately enough to nab it up before it disappeared.

It’s a little over 100 MB and it’s a simple folder-based organization as seen below. There are no frills, but here it is. 😊

OBEX%20ZIP.jpg

Complete OBEX:
    https://jdpresents.com/temp/complete_obex.zip
  • jonabel1971jonabel1971 Posts: 184
    edited 2020-08-27 19:35
    Publison wrote: »
    Ok, for whoever wants the old OBEX website, I used HTTrack to download the whole thing last year. It is organized identically to the old OBEX site - and all the files are accurate and in the right places. It is OBEX.zip, so just unzip it to your computer, and run the index.html file.

Do you have a copy of the old OBEX with "Author" names?

All the .zipped SPIN code in that file contain the Author's names. But apparently the Author's name's were removed from the description areas - prior to my download.

If Parallax wanted to hide motivations for hindered learning - that would be one way to do it.
    Especially since the 100 MB version of OBEX.zip is still being pushed.