Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need Help with LM358N Dual-op Amplifier. Didn’t know where else to look. — Parallax Forums

Need Help with LM358N Dual-op Amplifier. Didn’t know where else to look.

Hello, I guess the LM358N really isn’t a Parallax product, but I didn’t know where else to ask, sorry.:smile:
I have a power shield that I am designing and prototyping by hand on a through-hole blank pcb. It has on it an auxiliary jack, as I hoped to use it to communicate with a large speaker. I have managed to play music through it using my phone and the PDB’s amp chip. I had to short together the L and R channels on the aux cable though.
I want to use the LM358N dual-op amplifier so that I can have my left and right music channels. Call me nit-picky.:smile:
Can anyone help me locate a simple circuit to achieve this? Google is NOT my friend, too confusing.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure you would want a linear amp not an op amp. LM386 is often used for audio up to a couple of watts or so.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    I want to use the LM358N dual-op amplifier so that I can have my left and right music channels. Call me nit-picky.:smile:
    Can anyone help me locate a simple circuit to achieve this? Google is NOT my friend, too confusing.

LM358 will give you 2 paths, but very little else - it's rather too feeble for volume, and too crappy for quality...
    Did you hop onto ebay et al and search stereo amplifier module ?
    That gives many choices, for headphones and small speakers....

Or, search a more technical supplier like this one - modules start from 40c, for bare wires connect .... ?
  • @jmg
    I actually got the LM358N in a pile of random ICs from Chris Savage when I purchased his PDB.

So far as a different amp chip, I don’t know.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    jmg wrote: »

LM358 will give you 2 paths, but very little else - it's rather too feeble for volume, and too crappy for quality...
    Did you hop onto ebay et al and search stereo amplifier module ?
    That gives many choices, for headphones and small speakers....

Or, search a more technical supplier like this one - modules start from 40c, for bare wires connect .... ?

Ditto what jmg posted. Google "audio amplifier" and "dual audio amplifier" for a list of boards and chips. Probably cheaper to buy a complete stereo module than the parts to build your own. If you are looking for the experience of building it yourself you will find most if not all the info you need in the resulting list.
  • Thanks guys!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Our friend the late Gordon McComb always hated it when I suggested LM386s. :) He considered them old and inferior. A quickie Wiki says 1969, predating even the 555 timer of 1971. I have used both a lot, they are cheap and abundant.

The LM386 was invented by Ernie Leroy Long at Motorola in 1969. It was originally for part of a fuel injection system for a Ford Car. Wikipedia

Per others, good modern audio amps are cheap and abundant. I've hoarded a pile of the Dollar Tree speaker/amps I mentioned at http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1410090/#Comment_1410090 As long as you're hand-wiring this stereo amplifier, take two, they're small.