Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I guess I should just quit now... — Parallax Forums

I guess I should just quit now...

I don't have a masters or PhD....darn it!

“For example, if they have adapted a drone and put a 3G card to fly it through phone-waves rather than radio waves to avoid capture they would need a masters degree or a PhD.

https://thesun.co.uk/news/8023028/gatwick

Comments

• Mickster wrote: »
    I don't have a masters or PhD....darn it!

“For example, if they have adapted a drone and put a 3G card to fly it through phone-waves rather than radio waves to avoid capture they would need a masters degree or a PhD.

https://thesun.co.uk/news/8023028/gatwick

And why should you? We don't know that's exactly what the individual really said. Some news organizations are famous for taking things out of context, and deliberately making up news.

Besides, we know who didn't do that. I know of one individual who definitely didn't. (Not me.)

(Note to the Mods) How many of Parallax's drone rigs are UK based?
  • I don't know much about drones but can't they simply be programmed with coordinates and let loose or do they have to have a remote controller?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    Mickster wrote: »
    I don't know much about drones but can't they simply be programmed with coordinates and let loose...

Certainly they could.
  • They may need to capture one. The operator appears to be sophisticated.

Also, they may do all this work only to find a repeater, or some other kind of station that the real operator uses remotely.

Will be super interesting to learn how the control signals are done, or whether the drone is running a program + GPS.

• Both DJI and Ardupilot support GPS navigation.

They also support GUIDED mode where all you do is pick a spot on the map and it will go there.

The only limitation is battery power which is about 15 to 20 minutes or if its custom made maybe an hour.

When the battery level becomes low it returns home.

Mike
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    The dji drones will either return home or auto land if connection is lost with the transmitter.

Anybody (well, anyone determined to) can build a drone to follow a path where it does not rely on a connection to a transmitter, and therefore is nearly impervious to interception. Not to mention that there are many other options besides the standard 2.4GHz RC frequencies to control a remote vehicle, and the same for receiving video signals.

I'm curious as to wether these drones are being actively piloted or are just flying a preprogrammed path. The latter would be equally effective at shutting down commercial flights and would make it much harder to catch the perpetrator.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2018-12-22 03:20
    Hmm, must have missed the latest breakthrough in physics. Who discovered and published on phone waves, and are they up for a Nobel prize for it?
  • Hmm, must have missed the latest breakthrough in physics. Who discovered and published on phone waves, and are they up for a Nobel prize for it?

:lol::lol::lol:
    You'll need a PhD :lol::lol::lol:
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Phone waves give you brain tumors. Normal radio waves don't :)
  • This could have been ended quickly. Get a defensive drone, crash it into the offending drone. The defense drone can have something attached that hits the offender drones props. I don't see why nets and all that other fancy military stuff is needed there. A basic FPV acrobatic drone is faster and can out maneuver any of the GPS guided drones and cost less than $1000. Just about anyone could fly it.
  • xanadu wrote: »
    This could have been ended quickly. Get a defensive drone, crash it into the offending drone. The defense drone can have something attached that hits the offender drones props. I don't see why nets and all that other fancy military stuff is needed there. A basic FPV acrobatic drone is faster and can out maneuver any of the GPS guided drones and cost less than $1000. Just about anyone could fly it.

and there is the problem, too cheap for the military, who can make money with this.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,448
    edited 2018-12-22 19:24
    W9GFO wrote: »
    other options besides the standard 2.4GHz RC frequencies to control a remote vehicle, and the same for receiving video signals.

I've had the idea to use ye' olde TV VHF channels for RC video feedback at some point. Since it's not the most legal thing, it's perfect for building some of those evil killer hitman drones :P
  • There is some Propeller Demo to send video over VHF with a short cable as antenna to a pin, I never tried it because I stopped owning TVs since decades but @Publison might find it.

The basics are there to transfer VHF you might need to add some amplifier.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • msrobots wrote: »
    There is some Propeller Demo to send video over VHF with a short cable as antenna to a pin, I never tried it because I stopped owning TVs since decades but @Publison might find it.

The basics are there to transfer VHF you might need to add some amplifier.

Enjoy!

Mike

Why must I be the guy to "Copy Paste" "Video over VHF" into the search box to get:

http://forums.parallax.com/search?Search=+video+over+VHF

Gosh, your fingers must be tired from clicking Amazon! :)
  • The standard graphics_demo.spin, and TV.spin will broadcast on VHF. It is actually TV.spin that does it.

Once, a long time ago, I was working on P1 code while travelling for business. Got stuck with a TV that had no other input besides RF.

Was able to get it working reasonably from across a room.
  • I haven't tested it, but yeah, I think broadcasting from a Prop works "out of the box", unless you use CTRB for something else. Altough it won't cut the mustard for modulating the composite video from one of those cheap cameras - I think the RF modulator in the prop is just a ring modulator? (that's some nice harmonics) So you could have Prop overlay text onto a camera and modulate that with a little discrete ring modulator, amplify that and be good to go?