Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DC Motor Driver Circuit ULN2003 Experiment-Correction L293D - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

DC Motor Driver Circuit ULN2003 Experiment-Correction L293D

2»

Comments

• When you need to be able to reverse the DC motor then the complexity of a H-bridge is needed. When all you need to do is control the motor or even PWM it then there's this wonderful 3-pin IC called a "MOSFET". Yeah, and what's more, they are usually rated to handle many 10's of amps so that motor stall should never be a problem. You can even drive them from 3.3V with only a single I/O.

Ok, sounds over the top maybe? But it's true and it is exactly what I would use. Why use a space pen when a pencil will do?

• Thank you all

Here is the article.

https://electrosome.com/dc-motor-l293d-pic-microcontroller/

You just replace that micro with a Stamp (BS1 to BS2p40) or Propeller.

The article is the level of this forum.

So. That is how to connect Parallax micro to DC motor.

There may still be a Parallax article or Nuts and Volts or Application Note out there somewhere like it.

Happy holiday! 14 days til Christmas!
  • So you are not really interested in finding out how to do it then?

How hard is it to connect the 2 wires of a DC motor?

I've not seen you follow through on any of your "problems".

Maybe you just like creating a stir?

I could be wrong but moderators please take note.

Happy holiday!
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2018-12-10 04:34
    "When you need to be able to reverse the DC motor then the complexity of a H-bridge is needed"

Thank you for that.

Will connect up some of this stuff.

Using a 4.5 volt 3 AA battery box to power motor.

It's a motor on a Tamiya wheel ratio kit. Turns some different diameter wheels with rubber bands for belts.

No 'belts' on it.

Happy holidays!
  • For those of you wandering through this thread looking for suggestions and examples of DC motor control using a Basic Stamp or Propeller, do have a look at the Nuts and Volts columns, particularly Vol 1, #23. This is a long-running series of columns in Nuts and Volts magazine most by JonnyMac on a variety of topics, complete with easy to understand discussions and explanations and practical examples.
  • microcontrolleruser,

I thought you wanted to know how to connect 2 motors to an L293D and I have seen much better tutorials than the one you linked to.
    https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/labs/motors-and-transistors/dc-motor-control-using-an-h-bridge/

Mike,
    That's a good article and it even has something for Erco (controlling 2 motors with relays through a ULN2003).

• Thank you Mike

There we go a Nuts and Volts article on it. Suspected there was one out there.

Probably an application note too.

Thank you Genetix

"I thought you wanted to know how to connect 2 motors to an L293D"

Not me. That would be like saying I wanted to hook up four because I looked at ULN2003 first.

Nope. Just one motor.

I do not think there is an IC for just one motor.

The L293D just throws in a circuit for extra motor. That was a common sense thing to do.

Happy holidays!

• Here is the L293D in a nutshell.
    Control Signals and Motor Status
    RB0/IN1 RB2/IN2 Motor Status
    LOW LOW Stops
    LOW HIGH Anti-Clockwise
    HIGH LOW Clockwise
    HIGH HIGH Stops