P2-ES Board Support

1235»

Comments

• Thanks VonSzarvas. I am thankful your board was able to tolerate my brief short. I think additionally if you use Mac laptops you may need to plug in some other USB device before you plug the P2-EVAL back and get it working again. I did try removing and plugging the shorted board back in right away after it happened but serial downloads all failed making me think the board was fried. After removing it and using a different board for a while (another P2-EVAL with different FTDI signature), once I plugged back in the shorted board to this same USB port it let me download again. Probably it's just the way the software on the Mac deals with USB power problems.
  • rogloh wrote: »
    Probably it's just the way the software on the Mac deals with USB power problems.
    That has been my experience with P1 as well... Once the Mac encounters USB power problems, that port may not be available until either a restart or the insertion of a different USB/FTDI device... I have found that this can be remedied by using a 'good' powered USD hub for your Propeller experimenting.

dgately
    Livermore, CA (50 miles SE of San Francisco)
  • evanhevanh Posts: 8,400
    edited 2019-12-02 - 01:01:33
    I destroyed my first powered hub (mBeat) just a few weeks back. Killed it and the active extension I was using. It was quite nice having individual switches and indicators for each USB port too. I think it was poorly designed electrically. It was less than a year old so I got the money back.

I've now got a different brand (Orico) that classifies itself as commercially rated. It's nearly twice the price, it only has a single power switch (soft button) and only 4 ports instead of 7. But the max power rating went up from 15 Watts total to 24 Watts.

And a notable behaviour difference is it cannot be bus powered either. I suspect this is a good thing that helps make it more rugged.

We have the vastness of the internet and yet billions of people decided to spend most of their time within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium of a website that sucks every possible piece of personal information out of you so it can sell it to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 885
    edited 2019-12-02 - 02:09:59
    Hi evanh

Could you please post the exact model and version number of your recently acquired Orico-branded powered hub?

Since Orico seems to be also present at Brazil (my country), perhaps they could be selling that specific Hub here too.

I would love to be able to preserve me P2-Eval as much as possible (I'm too jealous off my Parallax-branded stuff), so I could consider trading part of my shrunk- shrunken head collection, only to have such hub in my hands. :lol:

Thanks in advance

Henrique
  • evanhevanh Posts: 8,400
    edited 2019-12-02 - 03:15:17
    Here is the shop listing https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/HUBORC2022/Orico-4-Port-Commercial-Heavy-Duty-Super-Speed-USB It says 2.5 Amps but the power pack clearly says 2 Amps. Not everything agrees, it also says V2 in the part number but Orico's own website only lists the V1 - http://www.orico.cc/us/product/detail/3724.html The packaging says A3H4-V2 but the case only has A3H4.

No complaints on its performance though.
    We have the vastness of the internet and yet billions of people decided to spend most of their time within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium of a website that sucks every possible piece of personal information out of you so it can sell it to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.