Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now

Comments

• I sure appreciate the offer! But I'll be very happy with the all acrylic one. Thanks for shipping out so quickly!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2018-12-06 18:51
    Enclosures arrived today! Since I'm probably the only person with access to the PCBs I immediately put one together and snapped some photos for you. Quick observations:

- team was excited to see it "oooh, wow" and "this is really nicely made" from Terrell (SMT line leader)
    - no interference issues
    - access to everything is clear; nicely protected from danger
    - fit of PCB enclosure and accommodation for PCB thickness is just right

I can check back on this thread occasionally to obtain whatever data Rich really needs if there are any questions.

Ken Gracey

IMG_3455.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • Very cool! Any update on the rest of us might have boards to populate our cases?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Very cool! Any update on the rest of us might have boards to populate our cases?

Chip is supposed to be here today to unlock the production line. I heard from him this morning but his message was "I have been in the shop office since 10 pm" to which I replied "go to sleep please; do not drive here" and I haven't heard from him since. It seems that after he arrives and spends a few hours here (at the same time as our production staff) we'll be a lot closer.

My best guess - a day or three (max) to ship.

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-12-06 19:40
    Ken, thanks for the update and the great pics!

Now Rich is going to get a second order for clear bottom and clear sides!
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Enclosures arrived today! Since I'm probably the only person with access to the PCBs I immediately put one together and snapped some photos for you. Quick observations:

- team was excited to see it "oooh, wow" and "this is really nicely made" from Terrell (SMT line leader)
    - no interference issues
    - access to everything is clear; nicely protected from danger
    - fit of PCB enclosure and accommodation for PCB thickness is just right

Thanks for the pictures! It's a bit of a relief that it does actually fit as intended. I was feeling a bit of nervousness shipping them out before actually having a board in there to verify the fit.
  • Rich, I looked for physical interferences around the posts, cable, SD card, etc. and didn't see anything.

I think you're good to burn some acrylic.

KG
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Rich, I looked for physical interferences around the posts, cable, SD card, etc. and didn't see anything.

I think you're good to burn some acrylic.

KG

Thanks for checking. Any issues with working the reset button?
  • Is it easy enough to remove/insert the 2-pin jumpers at VDD and VIO ?
    Looks like it might be tight around them.
    VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Is it easy enough to remove/insert the 2-pin jumpers at VDD and VIO ?

Are those likely to be removed often? If so I would hate to have to enlarge the holes, do you think I need to include jumpers with handles?

NPC02SXON-RC.JPG

• I'll check the reset button and get another set of eyes on it, including the jumper.

Will report back!

Ken
  • W9GFO wrote: »

Are those likely to be removed often? If so I would hate to have to enlarge the holes, do you think I need to include jumpers with handles?

NPC02SXON-RC.JPG

Those look handy. Where do you get them?
    W9GFO wrote: »

NPC02SXON-RC.JPG

I keep at least 30 around at all times. I get mine at Adafruit:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/3525
  • Publison wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    W9GFO wrote: »

NPC02SXON-RC.JPG

I keep at least 30 around at all times. I get mine at Adafruit:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/3525
    Thanks for the link!

• Got my case today and assembled it. What a beauty! Can't wait for my P2-ES to arrive :smile:
  • I got mine today too. Looking forward to the P2-ES board.
  • I'm still (im)patiently waiting for the shipping notification. I'm excited.

Now, I'm about to go dig into some C on the P2 for the first time :-D
  • __red__ wrote: »
    Now, I'm about to go dig into some C on the P2 for the first time :-D
    Are you going to use fastspin/C or p2gcc?

Are you going to use fastspin/C or p2gcc?

Both.

I've always viewed C as a "portable assembly language" as opposed to an "application language" (which, in fairness was its genesis) so given my background meant that there wasn't really a compelling reason for me to learn it for my UNIX environments. In embedded, I've always used ASM or spin.

I'm really interested to see the outputs of the tools to compare and hopefully better understand the nitty-gritty as to how the tool-chains work.

I really want to help contribute on the tooling side.

I went looking the other day to see if I could find a GCC IR -> C decompiler. The theory was to see if using that one could build a C++ -> C transpiler with off-the-shelf GCC tools.

A moment of madness, but it was an interesting idea to explore.
  • I just spent some time trying to assemble my enclosure and am having a minor problem. The tabs on two of the side panels won't fit into the base. I'm afraid to try forcing them because I don't want to break anything. Any suggestions as to how to handle this? Do I file them off?
    I just spent some time trying to assemble my enclosure and am having a minor problem. The tabs on two of the side panels won't fit into the base. I'm afraid to try forcing them because I don't want to break anything. Any suggestions as to how to handle this? Do I file them off?
    Ugh. I tried to coax one in and now the bottom panel is broken. Anyway, the seem to fit very tight.

• There is a bit of kerf taper on most things laser cut, so it might have helped to try flipping parts around.
    I just spent some time trying to assemble my enclosure and am having a minor problem. The tabs on two of the side panels won't fit into the base. I'm afraid to try forcing them because I don't want to break anything. Any suggestions as to how to handle this? Do I file them off?

You should not have to file anything. I will send out some new pieces to you on Monday.

I think I know what happened. Do you by any chance still have the paper backing that you peeled off the bottom panel? If so could you look and see if there is a letter "B" marked in sharpie on it?

Some of the first pieces I cut were sized for blue side panels. The blue acrylic is a tiny bit thinner than the clear. Then some of the clear acrylic is even thicker than average. I probably grabbed one of those early blue bottoms by mistake.
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    There is a bit of kerf taper on most things laser cut, so it might have helped to try flipping parts around.

There will always be some level of taper, or if not taper then concaveness - it can't be totally eliminated. But I think you'll find that my parts have very little taper. In fact you should be able to stand them on their skinny ends without them falling over - not always but much of the time.

On%20edge.JPG
    612 x 600 - 113K

You should not have to file anything. I will send out some new pieces to you on Monday.

I think I know what happened. Do you by any chance still have the paper backing that you peeled off the bottom panel? If so could you look and see if there is a letter "B" marked in sharpie on it?

Some of the first pieces I cut were sized for blue side panels. The blue acrylic is a tiny bit thinner than the clear. Then some of the clear acrylic is even thicker than average. I probably grabbed one of those early blue bottoms by mistake.
    I hate to have you send more parts if the problem is my own clumsiness. I'm afraid that I crumpled up the backing so much that I can't uncrumple it to find out if it has a "B".

I hate to have you send more parts if the problem is my own clumsiness...

Not likely, at most it should take a gentle press to get the parts to fit together. I am confident that I accidentally sent you a base panel that had slots sized for the thinner blue sides.
    I hate to have you send more parts if the problem is my own clumsiness...

Not likely, at most it should take a gentle press to get the parts to fit together. I am confident that I accidentally sent you a base panel that had slots sized for the thinner blue sides.
    Oddly, two of the sides fit in tightly but without any additional pressure. The other two were tight to the point where even easing them in with a bit of force broke the bottom piece. I could almost just use the enclosure with only those two sides. I guess it wouldn't be held together as securely though.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-12-10 15:52
    Got my enclosure today. It went together fast and it is lovely! Can't wait to put something in it.
  • Closure came in today! : ]

It looks nice even by itself.
  • Hmmm... I wonder why I'm the only one who had trouble assembling it? I agree though that it's a very nice looking enclosure!