Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now — Parallax Forums

Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
edited 2018-12-13 10:28 in Propeller 2
The P2EVAL Board Enclosures are now available to order.

The standard enclosure is 100mm x 100 mm x 35mm high. The Overclocker's version is 50mm high and includes a 12V fan. Both versions will include the hardware to assemble and rubber feet. P2EVAL board is not included.

You can choose the colors of the sides and bottom for the acrylic enclosures. Choices are clear, blue, and orange.

P2EVAL Board Enclosure

P2 EVAL Board Enclosure - Red Alder

P2EVAL Board Enclosure w/Fan - Overclocker's version

*note, anyone ordering the Overclocker's Enclosure that do not want a fan, just leave a note and you'll be refunded $6. I'll also include a spacer to take place of the fan so it can be assembled properly.
*note 2: Exploded views/assy instructions attached.

Wood%2001%20s.jpg

Std%20s.jpgBlue%20s.jpg

Fan%20clr%20s.jpgStd%20Clr%20s.jpg

Assy%20Instructions%20v1.pdf

Assy%20Instruction%20Fan%20BW.pdf
706 x 600 - 516K
726 x 600 - 606K
750 x 600 - 692K
646 x 600 - 551K
658 x 600 - 524K
712 x 600 - 111K

Comments

• Any chance of getting an SVG or similar so I can cut my own on my Glowforge?

For the fanless one, I'd do with a much thinner variant.
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,119
    edited 2018-11-27 01:50
    Just a minor point @W9GFO. That SD card looks pretty well recessed under your acrylic case, maybe it's just the angle. Are you sure you can get it out with fingers or would you need tweezers? You might want to concave in the corner there a tad perhaps.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    rogloh wrote: »
    Just a minor point @W9GFO. That SD card looks pretty well recessed under your acrylic case, maybe it's just the angle. Are you sure you can get it out with fingers...?
    I think so, the SD card is right at the edge of the board. If it is too hard to access then I'll make some cut outs.
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Any chance of getting an SVG or similar so I can cut my own on my Glowforge?
    Might be hard to tell in the renderings but there are bevels on the edges which requires a secondary operation. I want these to have a more finished look than pure laser cut. I think I will wait a bit before publicly sharing the files, then put them on Thingiverse when the P2 EVAL is available to everyone.

Roy, and anyone else with their own laser that has been active in the P2 development is welcome to my files, just PM me.

• 2 please W9... reaslize shipping will be a bit more to AU, and thats fine
  • W9GFO,
    Is the secondary operation still done with the laser, or is it s CNC or something else?

I was going to make mine out of hardwood, except for the top which would be clear acrylic.
  • I'm interested in one. What did you decide on for a price?
    W9GFO,
    Is the secondary operation still done with the laser, or is it s CNC or something else?

It is done with a router table and a 45 degree bit.
    I was going to make mine out of hardwood, except for the top which would be clear acrylic.

I have some red alder that looks really nice. I might see how that looks on the sides and bottom.

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2018-11-27 04:08
    Okay.

NRE My estimate is you'll have 12 hours of NRE into this before you cut the first production model. Let's just call it $1200 that needs to be amortized over some units (or time).
    BOM costs for the acrylic and any fasteners is probably about $6.
    Laser cutter runtime is perhaps five minutes, let's say $5 per unit since machine time must be accounted for. Laser cutting shops charge $60/hr for machine time.
    Kitting and shipping will cost you another $2 in supplies and time, even if one of your boys does the job in exchange for room and board - allowing you to exclude labor for this step.

We won't count your labor for loading and harvesting parts from the laser cutter since you enjoy this process and want to contribute something for free.

$6 BOM costs
    $5 machine runtime
    $2 kitting and bag for ship
    =================
    $13/unit total costs + NRE

We still have to account for recovering the NRE. You're going to sell 60 sets quite quickly to half of the P2 Eval Board consumers (pretty aggressive estimate but works well with the NRE). $1200/60 units = $20 NRE per unit.

Let's just assume that your NRE is your profit, so you're really selling your design time.

$13+$20 and you're somewhere around $33/unit costs with design time recovery and a 60-unit lifespan.

Since you can't sell these for $40, just sell them for $29 and enjoy the project. After all, that's your intent in doing this anyway. Assuming we don't change the layout of the P2 EB in a future revision and you sell hundreds it will become financially productive too!

$29 is the price I suggest

Ken Gracey
    edited 2018-11-27 04:02
    My guess is without the manual router table work and excludes the fan, too.

I'm still getting a grip on how you're making these things.

Ken Gracey
  • And I'd like to order five units to properly stable our internal herd. Let me know where to send the money (no PM, use kgracey@parallax.com please).

Ken Gracey
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Okay.

NRE My estimate is ...

$29 is the price I suggest

That's a pretty good assessment of the costs involved, it's like you've done it before...

The BOM cost is going to be more than $6, mostly because of the fan. The hardware is $2.00 (half of that in the four threaded standoffs) and I am not sure how many sets I can get out of a sheet of acrylic yet. Last time I bought 1/8" clear cast acrylic it was ~$55 a sheet, but that was from a friend/customer that purchased in volume. Not sure what it will cost me now and I do not have enough on hand - unless you like blue and translucent orange. :D
    And I'd like to order five units to properly stable our internal herd...

I'll send you five, don't want you to pay though.
    Which fan?

Cheapest available is about $5, cheapest with ball bearings is about $9.

Which voltage?

A 12V fan running on 5V is super quiet and should be more than adequate for all but the hard core overclocker. Especially considering that a fan shouldn't even be needed for most use cases.

A 5V fan will move more air, but you'll hear it.
  • I think you could have the fan not be included, or as an optional extra cost.
    Most people won't need it.

And I would do the 12v running off of 5v.

Also, even if I get the files from you (I'll send a PM later), I'll still buy one full kit from you (whatever that ends up being).
  • Yep don't worry about the fan, we can do that locally if needed
    The fan also serves as a spacer. Without it, (or a substitute spacer) you can't properly assemble the enclosure.

If I substituted spacers, the price difference is only about $4.

If I offered a thinner enclosure with room for a fan, it would probably be about $7 or so cheaper.

The question is then; is there enough interest in a thinner no-fan version to justify spending the time to design one or should the enclosure size remain the same and just make the fan optional? At least then you could add a fan later if you changed your mind.
    edited 2018-11-28 18:26
    Created a hole in the top for those that want to add a heat sink to the P2 chip.

P2-EVAL%2001%20heat%20sink.png
    705 x 600 - 878K
  • Hi W9GFO

Your design seems to be so versatile that, even without the inside mounted fan, it could be left at the table top, standing by one of its sides (sure, the logos are not meant to be upside down viewed).

For the ones don't intending to constantly try any overclocking, a good heat sink can be bonded to the solder side of the board, thus it makes sense having the extra height unit, since there will be plenty of space for the heat sink and also a good convection air flow.

In my POV, at the 'vertical' position it ressembles one of the long gone, 'classic', alarm clocks from the 70'.

Just a good piezo speaker, and it could tell you when "Iiiiiit's P2 Time!"
  • I'm not interested in the fan. I'd like to run the P2 with the "standard" clock settings which I'm hoping don't require a fan or a heat sink.
  • No fan necessary for me either. Please count me in for one case (thin style if you go that route).
    edited 2018-11-27 17:16
    The presence of the fan is a bit worrying to me from a marketing standpoint - both from the perspective of Parallax's initial impressions around a product which has not even been used yet, and also the usefulness/necessity of it with Rich's enclosure. If nobody wants the fan maybe it should be removed from the design. You can shorten the sides and simplify the enclosure a bit, using less material, too.

Ken Gracey
  • I think having the fan version as an option for those that want to experiment with higher overclocking would be cool, but the "main" version should be fanless.
    If I had to guess, only a small number of people are going to want to run the significant overclocking that requires a fan. So you could probably plan on like 90% fanless, at least.

I will probably only do the "tamer" overclocking that Chip has been doing without any fan, so I'd go with a fanless one. Especially since this eval board will dissipate the heat away from the chip much better.

• Eliminate the fan. If the P2 gets cooked(?) under regular use, I certainly want to know that. And especially since this is an evaluation and test setup. Even with the P1, it is a rare day that I even come close to maxing out the capabilities of the chip.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    The presence of the fan is a bit worrying to me from a marketing standpoint - both from the perspective of Parallax's initial impressions around a product which has not even been used yet, and also the usefulness/necessity of it with Rich's enclosure. If nobody wants the fan maybe it should be removed from the design. You can shorten the sides and simplify the enclosure a bit, using less material, too.

Ken Gracey
    At last a bit of common sense :smiley:

The monstrous fan, massive copper, heat sinks, all send the wrong message to prospective customers.
  • W9GFO, I will purchase one.

Preferably fanless, but either is fine with me.
  • If I can get my hands on one Dev-board I definitely want one of @W9GFO's enclosures.
    And would prefer the version with ability to mount a fan and/or heatsink.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • I will purchase one. If necessary , a heat sink could be used .

edited 2018-11-28 14:56
    Here are the standard no-fan enclosures. There is 3/4" clearance underneath if the user wants to put something like a heatsink on the bottom of the board.

P2%20EVAL%20NF%20Clr%2002.pngP2%20EVAL%20NF%20Blue%2002.png

P2%20EVAL%20NF%20Clr%2001.pngP2%20EVAL%20NF%20Blue%2001.png
    682 x 600 - 339K
    660 x 600 - 405K
    661 x 600 - 613K
    689 x 600 - 678K
  • Perfect desk art! Maybe by the time they're made and shipped, my desk will be clean enough that it won't get lost in the clutter!