Parallax P2 Eval Board

1456810

Comments

  • cgracey wrote: »
    They came in this morning. We should have the P2 Eval PCBs back towards the end of next week.

    Next week is Thanksgiving and we are closed for two days. These are scheduled to be built on the 28th at Parallax. Chip, you will need to be in Rocklin both of those days.

    The accessory boards will be built about 7-10 days later, when parts and PCBs arrive. We will be able to ship the P2 Evaluation PCBs around December 1st depending on testing requirements and documentation.

    Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 11,044
    edited 2018-11-14 - 18:11:54
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    They came in this morning. We should have the P2 Eval PCBs back towards the end of next week.

    Next week is Thanksgiving and we are closed for two days. These are scheduled to be built on the 28th at Parallax. Chip, you will need to be in Rocklin both of those days.

    The accessory boards will be built about 7-10 days later, when parts and PCBs arrive. We will be able to ship the P2 Evaluation PCBs around December 1st depending on testing requirements and documentation.

    Ken Gracey

    Will they be available in the store or only to people that have "expressed interest" ?
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    They came in this morning. We should have the P2 Eval PCBs back towards the end of next week.

    Next week is Thanksgiving and we are closed for two days. These are scheduled to be built on the 28th at Parallax. Chip, you will need to be in Rocklin both of those days.

    The accessory boards will be built about 7-10 days later, when parts and PCBs arrive. We will be able to ship the P2 Evaluation PCBs around December 1st depending on testing requirements and documentation.

    Ken Gracey
    Sounds great! What accessory boards are you planning?

  • AleAle Posts: 2,356
    Can you post some pictures of the pcbs ? :smile: we like pictures of pcbs :smiley:
  • - Audio/Video board with 4 RCAs with shortable 10uf coupling caps, VGA, stereo headphone out, microphone in

    - HDMI board

    - USB slave and master board

    - Goertzel board

    - Proto board

    I think that's it, for now.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 11,790
    edited 2018-11-14 - 18:51:41
    The Audio/Video board can do the following:

    VGA
    Component HDTV
    Composite NTSC (x4)
    Stereo line-in and line-out or 4-channel analog I/O

    Pin 0 is VGA horizintal, RCA
    Pin 1 is VGA Blue, RCA
    Pin 2 is VGA Green, RCA
    Pin 3 is VGA Red, RCA
    Pin 4 is VGA vertical
    Pin 5 is microphone-in
    pin 6 is headphone left
    pin 7 is headphone right
  • Ale wrote: »
    Can you post some pictures of the pcbs ? :smile: we like pictures of pcbs :smiley:

    First post in the thread shows a rendering.
  • Can you send the chips to Peter please?
    Peter, how is your P2D2 rev2 going?
    My Prop boards: P8XBlade2 , RamBlade , CpuBlade , TriBlade
    P1 Prop OS (also see Sphinx, PropDos, PropCmd, Spinix)
    Website: www.clusos.com
    P1: Tools (Index) , Emulators (Index) , ZiCog (Z80)
    P2: Tools & Code , Tricks & Traps
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 11,044
    edited 2018-11-14 - 22:11:56
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Can you send the chips to Peter please?
    Peter, how is your P2D2 rev2 going?

    ???? It is my understanding that the new chips are going onto the Eval boards. Or did you mean some?
  • There was a small number (dozen?) reserved for P2D2's sequel.
  • Yes, we are sending 15 chips to Peter. We were going to send 20, but we got back way less than originally planned, since ON Semi is going to do ESD testing on 30 units. We got back 135 chips total. We were expecting up to 174. It looks like 9 chips didn't yield.
  • Count me in for the Audio/Video and HDMI board. : ]
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Yes, we are sending 15 chips to Peter. We were going to send 20, but we got back way less than originally planned, since ON Semi is going to do ESD testing on 30 units. We got back 135 chips total. We were expecting up to 174. It looks like 9 chips didn't yield.

    That sound perfect!
  • octettaoctetta Posts: 54
    edited 2018-11-14 - 22:50:40
    Ym2413a wrote: »
    Count me in for the Audio/Video and HDMI board. : ]

    Me too, although I’d be happy just to have the evaluation board if it’s available first.

  • Well done Chip and Ken and all the Parallax team. You guys are bright, altruistic, generous, down-to-earth, hard working, and many other good words I can't think of at the moment, and still very business minded so that you can continue to have something to share, and are just all-round good guys!

    Chip is sending the 15 P2 chips at no cost to me for my new P2D2 boards (which I need to finalise!) I will make and sell this batch of boards at cost plus which means you get the P2 for free, but not from me, I'm just passing it on.



    Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    P2 --- The LOT --- TAQOZ INTRO & LINKS --- P2 SHORTFORM DATASHEET --- TAQOZ RELOADED - 64kB binary with room to spare
    P1 --- Latest Tachyon with EASYFILE --- Tachyon Forth News Blog --- More
    paypal.png PayPal me
    Brisbane, Australia
  • Well done Chip and Ken and all the Parallax team. You guys are bright, altruistic, generous, down-to-earth, hard working, and many other good words I can't think of at the moment, and still very business minded so that you can continue to have something to share, and are just all-round good guys!

    Chip is sending the 15 P2 chips at no cost to me for my new P2D2 boards (which I need to finalise!) I will make and sell this batch of boards at cost plus which means you get the P2 for free, but not from me, I'm just passing it on.

    Count me in for one if you send a batch to the US.

  • Count me in for one if you send a batch to the US.

    Me too on this as well! I'm sounding like a broken record. So excited about the P2 (and P2D2).

    -joe
  • Please consider me if there are any extra P2D2s for the US side. I just need one for realtime engine control,no video, etc., needed here.

    Mike R...
    The difference between theory and practice is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
  • Well done Chip and Ken and all the Parallax team. You guys are bright, altruistic, generous, down-to-earth, hard working, and many other good words I can't think of at the moment, and still very business minded so that you can continue to have something to share, and are just all-round good guys!

    Chip is sending the 15 P2 chips at no cost to me for my new P2D2 boards (which I need to finalise!) I will make and sell this batch of boards at cost plus which means you get the P2 for free, but not from me, I'm just passing it on.

    I think I might prefer a P2D2 as the evaluation board could cost me £150-£200 after import tax into the UK. Will there be a connector board for the P2D2 to plug into?
    Formerly known as TonyB
  • TonyB_ wrote: »
    I think I might prefer a P2D2 as the evaluation board could cost me £150-£200 after import tax into the UK. Will there be a connector board for the P2D2 to plug into?

    But you guys get Chinese stuff for cheap, like we do, right? No tariff on Chinese stuff, but big tariffs between USA and Europe? Does your postal system deliver Chinese stuff for free, like ours does?
  • There is a dev board for the P2D2 to plug into which is loaded with lots of goodies, or none. But remember that you can run the P2D2 just off a cheap USB serial cable that supplies +5V. I prefer female sockets on the P2D2 so you can even insert component leads straight into this if you want but otherwise just use cheap pin headers on some double-side matrix board to plug into.

    Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    P2 --- The LOT --- TAQOZ INTRO & LINKS --- P2 SHORTFORM DATASHEET --- TAQOZ RELOADED - 64kB binary with room to spare
    P1 --- Latest Tachyon with EASYFILE --- Tachyon Forth News Blog --- More
    paypal.png PayPal me
    Brisbane, Australia
  • Hi
    Does your postal system deliver Chinese stuff for free, like ours does?
    Anything over about £12 (or thereabouts) has to have VAT added. (value added tax)
    To do this there is a customs charge.
    Then there is the VAT (20%) itself
    Then there is the collection charge by the post office on delivery or they take it back!

    So I limit ALL my purchases from China to £10 (just to be safe) and even break up larger orders into smaller ones.

    Its not that I mind the VAT (much) but all the extra charges involved in collecting it!

    Dave
  • Thanks for the explanation, Dave.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    But you guys get Chinese stuff for cheap, like we do, right? No tariff on Chinese stuff, but big tariffs between USA and Europe? Does your postal system deliver Chinese stuff for free, like ours does?

    Uuh... you haven't heard?!?
    Trump already kissed that one goodby!
    Free shipping from China is over (or will be very soon).

    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2018/10/18/china-postal-subsidies/38203951/

    j
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 6,499
    edited 2018-11-15 - 02:36:51
    Ken Gracey

    Will they be available in the store or only to people that have "expressed interest" ?

    Here's how I'm thinking we'd go about it, and we'd love your feedback.

    I believe the number of early adopters is probably around 100 people. We'll have somewhere around 120 boards in stock. I'd simply put up a web page where they can be ordered on-line and note the link to that page here on the forums. It wouldn't be advertised on the Parallax home page, via social media, etc. The goal is to notify people who have expressed interest and can do initial testing without attracting the general technical public (we aren't ready for them, as we have no datasheets, minimal programming tools, etc.). Those people are you, here on the forums.

    Do you think this will work?

    The alternative is we start a Google form to collect all of your data. This gives us some control over how many you order, but it also poses some problems: collecting credit card numbers.

    Ken Gracey
  • thej wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    But you guys get Chinese stuff for cheap, like we do, right? No tariff on Chinese stuff, but big tariffs between USA and Europe? Does your postal system deliver Chinese stuff for free, like ours does?

    Uuh... you haven't heard?!?
    Trump already kissed that one goodby!
    Free shipping from China is over (or will be very soon).

    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2018/10/18/china-postal-subsidies/38203951/

    j

    We've still got a long way to go before things are even approaching level, though:
    On eBay Thursday, hundreds of sellers from China advertised women’s workout leggings, including ones for little as $0.76 that could be purchased instantly. That seller, Webstainless based in China, has racked up more than 21,680 positive reviews from buyers in the last 12 months, according to the e-commerce site. The seller offers free shipping to the U.S.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 14,030
    Chip is sending the 15 P2 chips at no cost to me for my new P2D2 boards (which I need to finalise!) I will make and sell this batch of boards at cost plus which means you get the P2 for free, but not from me, I'm just passing it on.

    I prefer the P2D2 as it is smaller, and has better oscillator choice support.
    What SMPS regulator & Linear regulator(s) options did you select on the revised design ?

  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 3,903
    edited 2018-11-15 - 03:08:24
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I believe the number of early adopters is probably around 100 people. We'll have somewhere around 120 boards in stock. I'd simply put up a web page where they can be ordered on-line and note the link to that page here on the forums. It wouldn't be advertised on the Parallax home page, via social media, etc. The goal is to notify people who have expressed interest and can do initial testing without attracting the general technical public (we aren't ready for them, as we have no datasheets, minimal programming tools, etc.). Those people are you, here on the forums.

    Do you think this will work?

    The alternative is we start a Google form to collect all of your data. This gives us some control over how many you order, but it also poses some problems: collecting credit card numbers.

    Ken Gracey
    You could put them in the store like you said but make the price $10,000. Then generate some single use coupon codes for $9,850 or $10,000 off and have someone send those via PM to the people that qualify.

    Just an idea...

  • W9GFO wrote: »
    You could put them in the store like you said but make the price $10,000. Then generate some single use coupon codes for $9,850 or $10,000 off and have someone send those via PM to the people that qualify.

    Just an idea...

    Good idea! That might be a little bit more fun, too.

    Ken

  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 9,834
    edited 2018-11-15 - 04:29:36
    LOL, I like that one.

    Honestly, I don't care how we do it. I want to buy one Parallax board, and just don't want to miss my opportunity to do that.

    And maybe I'm overblowing it, but I sense we've gotten some attention, and will leave it right there.




    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball! @opengeekorg ---> Be Excellent To One Another SKYPE = acuity_doug
    Parallax colors simplified: https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/123709/commented-graphics-demo-spin<br>
Sign In or Register to comment.