Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Evaluation Board - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 Evaluation Board

2»

Comments

• Right, so you could add a diode/zener/led (or two) to give it the right kind of shaping personailty.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Old people want to use screwdrivers and hammers. All this digital/analog trickery would just get us into trouble.
  • I want to turn a dial/screwdriver in this case.

Seems like having it be digital pots connected to the P2 just wastes pins for something that is overkill.
  • Do old people also want to overclock and push the limits? I guess they might do

Its hard to beat a knob. We use knobs that are actually labelled to to 11. That would be cool, being able to "turn it up to 11"
  • While numbered dials have the convenience of compact labelling, some of us oldies prefer a more descriptive style, from slightly overclocked through seriously to catastrophicly, with an end stop slightly below the fatal limit.
  • Gimme the screwdriver.

• Perhaps a silkscreen 'x' on the circuit board too, for where to aim with the hammer
  • I would accept the screwdriver, but then I will need someone else help, to point me where that vanishing head, of that someway blured screw is, because I can't see it clearly! :lol:
  • I can't remember the details, but I worked with a guy who used some digital pots to control voltage regulators on a chip eval board, and they caused the regulators to go unstable. I can't remember why this was happening, but obviously there were more electrically interesting than a mechanical POT. If you really want something really fancy you could consider something like a programmable Intersil which also provides current measurements, programmable power sequencing, etcetera. But sometimes simple mechanical POTs, and external instruments are nice. e.g. as far as I know the Intersil parts don't allow you to view instantaneous current draw which is sometimes very nice to have.

Also there are some pretty neat PMODs. For example HDMI:

https://blackmesalabs.wordpress.com/2017/12/15/bml-hdmi-video-for-fpgas-over-pmod/
  • KeithE wrote: »
    Also there are some pretty neat PMODs. For example HDMI:

https://blackmesalabs.wordpress.com/2017/12/15/bml-hdmi-video-for-fpgas-over-pmod/

Nice find, KeithE.

The timing tool they link to is good, too