I want a P2! And how are we going to get these to you?

2456718

Comments

  • Definitely would like to purchase a board. I have lots of servo motors with quadrature encoders that I wanna hook-up to this thing.

    Galil Motion Control is 1.3 miles around the corner from Parallax and their stuff is costing me a fortune. P2 is capable of out-performing their products....only needs a bit of firmware dev.....LOL
    Failure is not an option...it's bundled with the software.
  • I would be interested in purchasing a P2 development board. I am in the UK and would be happy to coordinate with other UK purchasers.
  • Will definitely buy a board or two!

    Jesse
    --
    WIP Spin drivers for various devices: lsm9ds1 IMU (SPI), Newhaven 4x20 OLED (I2C), Melexis 90621 Thermal imager (I2C), SHT3x Temp/RH (I2C), SSD1306 OLED (I2C), AMS TCS3x7x RGB Color Sensor (I2C), MAX31856 Thermocouple Amp (SPI), BMP280 Baro. Press/Temp (I2C), Trinamic TMC2130 Stepper Driver (SPI)
  • Bean wrote: »
    BTW I watch all of the stream last night (TLH Productions) and I was so happy when it finally was working. I was expecting you guys to dance around the building...LOL.

    Bean

    IKR?

    I was kicking myself when I read that Heater had a bottle of bubbly.
    Failure is not an option...it's bundled with the software.
  • I would like to go with option #2. But I would like 2 boards.
  • Hi
    what a roller coaster- still recovering!!
    I would like to purchase a board please when all the important people have been supplied. I live in UK- I could act as a distribution point if required.
    Dave

  • I'd like a breakout board with a P2 in it, like Peter's board (or similar). I would like to buy two boards as long as there are enough to go around, but would be happy with one if they are in short supply.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,032
    edited September 29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ale wrote: »
    I'd like a breakout board with a P2 in it, like Peter's board (or similar). I'd buy it. I'm sitting in Germany, so customs and postage are not on the cheap side. Maybe some folks would like a "bulk" send to share some costs. Maybe ErNa and Ariba, they are "nearby" afaik. I'm sure they would love some P2.

    I count for Germany as well
    ADDIT: can wait for the production runs - others can contribute more ...
    ADDIT: will only use it with TACHYON ...
    ADDIT: payed of course

    and as engineering samples - no commercial value ... ;-)
    customs should be free
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    ... 1,500 fully packaged parts are coming to Parallax in coming weeks.
    That's a good number. What yields I wonder ?

    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    - We need to get P2s quickly to a handful of people who contributed to the design (with PCBs, testing, etc.) as soon as possible. These will likely be from the first batch of packaged parts (maybe not the 10 chips we received yesterday, unless Chip says otherwise).
    Those first 10 would need to be carefully rationed to go those most active on P2 code generation.
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Perhaps customers could choose one of the following: (1) place an order for FREE delivery, because you wish to contribute to the project; or (2) BUY the product because you want to start coding, but prefer not to be committed to any development efforts. You choose!
    Sounds good, but some deliverable would need to be defined, as you do not want Free P2's unpowered in drawers.
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Expectations would need to be reasonable for this first phase. Customers wouldn't expect a plug-and-play, load-and-go experience on every imaginable operating system, for example. Parallax would need to communicate the plan and manage expectations so we don't wind up getting commercial reviews as part of an early adopter release.
    That depends on the Errata. You could call this Beta Silicon, to manage expectations.
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    P2 mounted on a simple breakout PCB with USB....
    Share your thoughts on this distribution approach (not the PCB design), and provide any new ideas too.
    The PCB design needs a new thread... The P2D2 is a good base, but I think USB does need to be included.
    Question is which USB ?
    I've looked around for lower cost, small HS-USB parts, with not much success.
    The SiLabs CP2102N gives decent FS-USB sustained speeds, at a low price ( ~ $1.15/1k).
    Exar have a FS-USB part, slightly better sustained speeds, but their volumes are smaller and their driver had issues, so they may be 'too risky'

    HS-USB best choice is probably the mature FT232H, which can sustain 12MBd - maybe it's worth paying a little more, (in BOM & pcb area), in order to push P2 a bit more ?

    FT232HQ-REEL Single Channel 1.8 to 3.3 V 480 Mbps USB Hi-Speed to Serial UART/FIFO IC -QFN-48
    Verical FT232HQ-REEL 2,178 3 USD $2.53 -- hmm, out of stock ?
    Digikey - good stocks at
    FT232HQ-REEL 48QFN 500 $2.8500
    FT232HL-REEL 48LQFP 500 $2.8500

    HS-USB UARTS above 12MBd are rare (sadly), one EXAR part specs 15MBd, but that's not really enough of a jump.
  • Interested in buying a board.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    T Chap wrote: »
    I’d rather build my own board and assemble. I just need a chip. Can you make chips available too at a price?

    Probably not with the initial run, as we wouldn't want any production projects made with these chips. But I'm not sure. This is something we'd have to talk about a bit and it's too early to say. With limited chips, it's to our benefit to get as many as possible in the hands of individual developers vs. committed to PCBs. I suppose you might only want a few chips, as you are building a few boards. Let's wait on figuring this out for a while.
    I would suggest keeping a few for user development boards, where those boards will push the P2 in areas the standard PCB does not, and that also depends on what is on the standard PCB.
    Examples could be Streamer/External Memory/LCD connnect/USB port(s)/VGA ports/etc
    Especially if the Errata comes out small.

  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 3,906
    edited September 28 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I will definitely buy a board if I can’t buy a chip. My purpose for a chip would be for an test platform LCD controller with EVE2, SD card. Not sure if this is possible but I want to see if HDMI is possible also for using a TV as a monitor.
  • I'd like buying one (or two if availability allows), possibly combined with other prop1 stuff to keep shipping cost reasonable.
  • I'd gladly pay for a board to start... Parallax does need to recoup costs.
    board needs only the basics so you can apply power, communicate with it and transfer programs and run them.
    Headers obviously for breakout. Headers should be shipped loose.


    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Chip and I had a brief discussion last night about how we'll get chips out to the early adopters. Of course, there's much to be accomplished before this happens. Chip needs to test out all the features, finish the Spin interpreter concurrent with our planning. 1,500 fully packaged parts are coming to Parallax in coming weeks. I'd like to share a few thoughts on what we're thinking and seek your input. The role of the Propeller community is absolutely imperative to the success of the product - times have changed since 2006 and we won't succeed if we're the only people making boards, software, etc.

    In regards to getting P2 chips in your hands, here are a couple of thoughts:

    - We need to get P2s quickly to a handful of people who contributed to the design (with PCBs, testing, etc.) as soon as possible. These will likely be from the first batch of packaged parts (maybe not the 10 chips we received yesterday, unless Chip says otherwise).

    - An initial early adopter release could include the P2 mounted on a simple breakout PCB with USB like Peter produced, off our SMT line. Perhaps customers could choose one of the following: (1) place an order for FREE delivery, because you wish to contribute to the project; or (2) BUY the product because you want to start coding, but prefer not to be committed to any development efforts. You choose!

    Expectations would need to be reasonable for this first phase. Customers wouldn't expect a plug-and-play, load-and-go experience on every imaginable operating system, for example. Parallax would need to communicate the plan and manage expectations so we don't wind up getting commercial reviews as part of an early adopter release.

    Share your thoughts on this distribution approach (not the PCB design), and provide any new ideas too.

    Thanks,

    Ken Gracey

  • Rayman wrote: »
    This is sounding like Chipmas is for real this year...


    Scary, isn't it... Already did a few project on other platforms as I was waiting too long for this thing.
  • T Chap wrote: »
    I will definitely buy a board if I can’t buy a chip. My purpose for a chip would be for an test platform LCD controller with EVE2, SD card. Not sure if this is possible but I want to see if HDMI is possible also for using a TV as a monitor.

    Direct LCD streaming would certainly be interesting to see, as an Eve replacement, or did you mean P2 to drive an Eve ?
    HDMI I think would need some external chip assistance ?
  • Add me to the list of would be grateful for a free board but also willing to pay for one. I would also be willing to do beta testing for other developers products. I've been pretty quiet since the P2hot debacle not because of disinterest, but because I thought it was best to let Chip do what Chip does and get something workable out the door. Now that that day is upon us, count me in :-)
  • jmg wrote: »
    T Chap wrote: »
    I will definitely buy a board if I can’t buy a chip. My purpose for a chip would be for an test platform LCD controller with EVE2, SD card. Not sure if this is possible but I want to see if HDMI is possible also for using a TV as a monitor.

    Direct LCD streaming would certainly be interesting to see, as an Eve replacement, or did you mean P2 to drive an Eve ?
    HDMI I think would need some external chip assistance ?

    I designed a test P1 + P1v board for the purposes of testing direct LCD or EVE with patchable connections. So I’d likely update that board for both options and lose the FPGA. I don’t mind external parts for HDMI. That’s low priority
  • I'd love to buy a P2 on a breakout board and do some developing (all shared on Github of course with a GPL or MIT license). I don't know how much time I can commit to, and I'm working on other projects too.

    By the way, if Parallax is really going to do a Propeller Expo again in April (which I will definitely go to), I'd like to request that the conference badge will have a P2? I'd be happy to pay for it too!

    ===Jac
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 3,906
    edited September 28 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I would fine sending in my P2D2 for population for a fee since Ken already has a stencil and a programmed PNP. 100$?
  • I'd like to pay for an early board, P2 on a breakout with USB and maybe a flash chip to store a program would be perfect.

    I'm interested in using P2 as a coprocessor in retro computing projects, where the extra pin count and faster clock will let me do things that P1 can't. I have an S-100 RAM/SD card/USB console board that has been bouncing around in my head for a while. I have an ARM-based solution I am evaluating right now, but based on early timing results there - the P2 will probably be a *much* better implementation of what I'm looking for.

    I'd also like to help test early documentation/tools produced by others & give feedback to help with P2's deployment - but I'd rather pay for a board than take a free one in case my day job gets really busy & I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like.
  • I would be interested in buying a board (P2D2, I assume with the new chip). Not smart enough (or up on P2's features and other stuff) to really help in any useful way... That also means - I'll jump in once the real experts are all set. Let me know!

    But, I want to support Parallax AND I want to play too!
    Whit+

    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • T Chap wrote: »
    jmg wrote: »
    T Chap wrote: »
    I will definitely buy a board if I can’t buy a chip. My purpose for a chip would be for an test platform LCD controller with EVE2, SD card. Not sure if this is possible but I want to see if HDMI is possible also for using a TV as a monitor.

    Direct LCD streaming would certainly be interesting to see, as an Eve replacement, or did you mean P2 to drive an Eve ?
    HDMI I think would need some external chip assistance ?

    I designed a test P1 + P1v board for the purposes of testing direct LCD or EVE with patchable connections. So I’d likely update that board for both options and lose the FPGA. I don’t mind external parts for HDMI. That’s low priority

    I'm sure Parallax could find a chip or two, to support an EVE comparison test ! :)
  • T Chap wrote: »
    I would fine sending in my P2D2 for population for a fee since Ken already has a stencil and a programmed PNP. 100$?

    That gets more tricky & raises interesting points...
    Peter has mentioned a P2D2H, but I think that's a different stencil & P&P.
    Given Chip's power numbers, the next P2D2x would sensibly be 2Oz/3Oz, but if the changed P2D2H is used, Parallax might not want to set up P&P twice.
    On P2D2 P59 already has pullup/down options, and the reset pin is next to 3v3 IO, so that might take a hand-place/paste part ?

    Parallax also plan their own board, so there may be some split of those 1500 parts into P2D2x, and Parallax boards ?
  • Wouldn't we want a 4L board so we could push the limits on over clocking and such?
    Infernal Machine
  • I would be happy to pay for 2 boards. I have an internal combustion engine control project that is begging for a P2.

    Mike R...
  • I'd be interested in purchasing a board or 2. I'd be keen to get MicroPython ported over, since I feel that's one of the languages with real legs these days. If P2 supported Python, I think it would open up adoption, like it has for the Raspberry Pi.

    MP needs 256K of code space and 16K of RAM, so with 512K RAM, it qualifies for the minimum requirements. I could see the streamer being useful, assuming one can page code in/out in some useful way.

    I really haven't followed much in the last 3 years, since moving away from P2-Hot.

    Once I see working silicon in my hands, then I'll pick up the "datasheet" and start exploring again.
  • I'm also interested in purchasing 1 or 2 boards.
  • pedward wrote: »
    I'd be interested in purchasing a board or 2. I'd be keen to get MicroPython ported over, since I feel that's one of the languages with real legs these days. If P2 supported Python, I think it would open up adoption, like it has for the Raspberry Pi.

    MP needs 256K of code space and 16K of RAM, so with 512K RAM, it qualifies for the minimum requirements. I could see the streamer being useful, assuming one can page code in/out in some useful way.

    I really haven't followed much in the last 3 years, since moving away from P2-Hot.

    Once I see working silicon in my hands, then I'll pick up the "datasheet" and start exploring again.
    MicroPython would be cool! Is it written in C? Have you tried compiling it with Dave Hein's p2gcc?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    pedward wrote: »
    I'd be interested in purchasing a board or 2. I'd be keen to get MicroPython ported over, since I feel that's one of the languages with real legs these days. If P2 supported Python, I think it would open up adoption, like it has for the Raspberry Pi.

    MP needs 256K of code space and 16K of RAM, so with 512K RAM, it qualifies for the minimum requirements. I could see the streamer being useful, assuming one can page code in/out in some useful way.

    I really haven't followed much in the last 3 years, since moving away from P2-Hot.

    Once I see working silicon in my hands, then I'll pick up the "datasheet" and start exploring again.
    MicroPython would be cool! Is it written in C? Have you tried compiling it with Dave Hein's p2gcc?

    Looking at the GitHub page, it does appear to be mostly C (the only C++ is in the drivers folder) https://github.com/micropython/micropython/search?l=C++
    There's a "ports" folder in there and a "minimal" folder under that. I bet the makefile in there would be the right place to start: https://github.com/micropython/micropython/blob/master/ports/minimal/Makefile
    David
    PropWare: C++ HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for PropGCC; Robust build system using CMake; Integrated Simple Library, libpropeller, and libPropelleruino (Arduino port); Instructions for Eclipse and JetBrain's CLion; Example projects; Doxygen documentation
    CI Server: http://david.zemon.name:8111/?guest=1
Sign In or Register to comment.