One PING Only, Vasily

ercoerco Posts: 19,324
edited September 27 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
I'm not picking on Roy Eltham, honest. It's just that he has the only ten-PING robot that pops up in a Google search. There were MANY of them. Did that first plywood robot even have a name? Did Parallax stock spike when people were buying PING & aluminum bracket ten-packs? :)

And if there is one among us who doesn't love "Hunt for Red October", please fess up. Seems to be a universally well-loved movie, right Publison/Jim?

ping.jpg

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
320 x 240 - 32K

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • I remember Ken made one that looks very similar to this one a good time back. This one is missing the green stripe. :smiley: :cool:
  • erco, I don't have that one built up like that anymore. I have the parts on other bots, but I do still have the wood platform. Maybe I should paint a stripe on it and rebuild it? :)
    When I had that one running, I had to activate the pings 2 at a time (opposite sides) in order to have them work without interfering to much. I think it worked best when you just did it one at a time going around as fast as you could.

My newer bots using the black plastic platforms (ARLO, Eddie, and such) don't have as many PINGs on them.
  • It's definitely an impre$$ive array of $en$or$, but I think one PING scanned on a servo makes more cents(!) and looks cooler. Once again, I'll plug PING-Dar, which IMO is one of the most fabulous projects anywhere. Needs more work, that was 9 years ago! How about Blockly Ping-Dar, @Ken Gracey ? Feel free to go Propeller, Wireless, WiFi, WiDi, HD, Bluetooth, Let's Robot, Uber-Eats, Alexa-enabled and Chromecast. What say, by noon tomorrow? :)

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,324
    edited September 27 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Of course, do as I say, not as I do. Looky what I just ordered for a client's project! I do love spending other people's money. Keep that in mind if anyone needs me to buy for them.

- Pablo Picasso
  • Oops! Too bad I can't edit a post to add a pic.
    720 x 749 - 271K

- Pablo Picasso
  • LOL, nice set if laser pings!

I have a Scanse Sweep that I plan to put on one of my bigger robots one of these days for proper LIDAR :)