Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop BP question — Parallax Forums

Prop BP question

Hello!
I am currently waking up the one I have, and finding that it is working perfectly, Which is as expected. The displays it produces are perfect from when viewed on the composite video input on an HDTV set of normal size, to an actual TFT display which is all of 1 and one-half inch in size, diagonal of course.

But the question remains, are there any plans surfacing to restart production on these amazing devices? I am thinking that the device would look amazing installed with a BASIC Stamp2 inside a sensor box, complete with a matching prototype board of the same size wearing the features needed to enable a small touch screen on a matching video screen of appropriate size from the same vendor as the 1.5" one. And of course with the touch screen code added to the video creation code it would already use.

Given that the Prop can generate composite video relatively easily, I could confuse a certain board design already holding a Prop and work out the details, but I'd much rather use an existing design that's been debugged by experts.
----
And this message is being sponsored by the Tiger Team football club (English style not American.)

Comments

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    edited 2018-09-26 16:18
    A bare propeller with a couple capacitors, three resistors, and a crystal will output composite video just as well as the BP. I wouldn't worry about confusing a different board unless that board has poor grounding or some other design flaw.
  • Hello!
    Indeed. And a good response, also a good interpretation of what I posted. The one about confusing a different board, doesn't reflect on doing that, in fact it explains why I'm reluctant to make use of the basic Propeller Quick Start Board. I could use however the Propeller Project Board (USB) for the whole purpose, but I am curious as to what license the firmware on the Prop BP wears.

And this is especially important as there was talk as to restarting the Prop BP line not too long ago.
    --
    And this message is still being sponsored by the Tiger Team Football club.
  • Hello!
    Indeed. And a good response, also a good interpretation of what I posted. The one about confusing a different board, doesn't reflect on doing that, in fact it explains why I'm reluctant to make use of the basic Propeller Quick Start Board. I could use however the Propeller Project Board (USB) for the whole purpose, but I am curious as to what license the firmware on the Prop BP wears.

And this is especially important as there was talk as to restarting the Prop BP line not too long ago.
    --
    And this message is still being sponsored by the Tiger Team Football club.

Could you give use to Part Number for the "BP" board you refer to?
  • I'd be delighted! The notation on the back of the thing is #28327.

---
    But this message is being sponsored by the Black Leopard Team Football club.
  • Ok, it's the Backback. BP could have meant many items.
    I don not think Phil is going to produce any more, based on his previous posts.
  • Publison wrote: »
    Ok, it's the Backback. BP could have meant many items.
    I don not think Phil is going to produce any more, based on his previous posts.

Hello!
    Basically that is what I'd already surmised from earlier posts, but didn't he send the prototype off to Parallax via a rather strange transport method, and offer its BOM and everything else for the company?

And it would ideally be up to Parallax. I mean I can read a schematic with the best of us, but building a replicate of the rig on a Project board is one thing, loading it into the host is another, and more importantly hoping it works?

I trust Murphy enough to hope things work but something this complex is different.
    ---
    And this is supported by the regular cat referee community.