Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Badge WX info — Parallax Forums

Badge WX info

I was looking into the Badge WX, and I noticed that there is no library to download, for programming with SimpleIDE. With Hackable Badge, there was a very substantial library that came with it.

It looks like Parallax is pushing blockyprop very heavily, while letting SimpleIDE fall by the wayside, no library for the Badge WX. Is this just a temporary oversite, or the missing Badge WX library for SimpleIDE will be furnished at a later time.

The reason I ask is, the Badge WX looks very interesting, but I do not want to go the blocklyprop route, at this time. So, the alternative is to try out PropBasic, but I am not sure as to how far Bean is going to support the Badge WX. For instance with the Hackable Badge I was able to implement a softRTC, for displaying the time and date on the Badge. Also there was a program for displaying the current voltage for the batteries, is it still doable for the Badge WX? Also there was some code for talking to another Badge via the IR, just to name a few. Not sure if and when Bean would be providing such code. So, it is very unclear as to what Bean plans to be doing in the short term, and it is very unclear as to what Parallax will be doing in regards to SimpleIDE support, in the short term. I am up in the air about pursuing a Badge WX.

Ray

Comments

• There is a 2018.09.07 update of Simple Libraries (learn folder) on this page:

https://parallax.com/downloads/propeller-c-learn-folder

I checked the zip file. There is a folder "libbadgewxtools".
  • Since BlocklyProp generates C code it is pretty much guaranteed that there will be a C library for any Parallax product that uses BlocklyProp.
  • The C library is indeed available. It's right here https://learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/propeller-c-set-simpleide/update-your-learn-folder

If not there, it's on our GitHub. I'll ask Miguel to check.

Ken Gracey
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    I was looking into the Badge WX, and I noticed that there is no library to download, for programming with SimpleIDE. With Hackable Badge, there was a very substantial library that came with it.

It looks like Parallax is pushing blockyprop very heavily, while letting SimpleIDE fall by the wayside, no library for the Badge WX. Is this just a temporary oversite, or the missing Badge WX library for SimpleIDE will be furnished at a later time.

The reason I ask is, the Badge WX looks very interesting, but I do not want to go the blocklyprop route, at this time. So, the alternative is to try out PropBasic, but I am not sure as to how far Bean is going to support the Badge WX. For instance with the Hackable Badge I was able to implement a softRTC, for displaying the time and date on the Badge. Also there was a program for displaying the current voltage for the batteries, is it still doable for the Badge WX? Also there was some code for talking to another Badge via the IR, just to name a few. Not sure if and when Bean would be providing such code. So, it is very unclear as to what Bean plans to be doing in the short term, and it is very unclear as to what Parallax will be doing in regards to SimpleIDE support, in the short term. I am up in the air about pursuing a Badge WX.

Ray

To answer the question about SimpleIDE support, you can certainly program the BadgeWX in C. As indicated above, if there's BlocklyProp support then there's also C support. I think Bean will produce some PropBASIC code, too.

Ken Gracey
  • I noticed, in the Learn forum, that there is a getting started with the Badge WX and blocklyprop, but there nothing there for use with SimpleIDE. I would think that using Badge WX with SimpleIDE would be a new learning curve. Probably examples would be a big help.

The one thing that I do remember with the Hackable Badge, it has been awhile, there was some code available to check the battery voltage level, is that still possible with the Badge WX? It seems that since you are using three AAA batteries now, it would be very beneficial if you could have that information.

When you have your Badge WX programmed and functioning, is there any data loss when the batteries go dead or when they are exchanged. What is the normal usage time with the batteries? Because the WiFi uses a lot of juice, will you be exchanging batteries everyday?

Ray