Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Prototype Status — Parallax Forums

P2 Prototype Status

cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
edited 2018-09-17 20:54 in Propeller 2
Things went quiet with OnSemi, so I asked the project manager what was going on. She said they had a mishap with the probe card, so they had to send it out for repair. Meanwhile, they are blind-building some chips for us and will do a proper wafer sort once the probe card returns.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Phew.. I was thinking the no news was really bad news....

Hehe, you need a wry grin at the lowest of tech mishaps, that can occur in the highest tech companies... ;)

When do they expect to be able to probe wafers ? A problem with blind-built parts, if you have no idea they have passed any tests at all.]

Do OnSemi have enough probe ability that can at least do a Vcc/Icc ramp ?

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Praying for the Parallax Propeller 2 Chip.
    Praying for Parallax, the Propeller, and Chip too.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Thanks, Whit!

Jmg, I imagine they won't be able to do anything with the wafers until the probe card is okay. It interfaces the ATE machine to the die sites on a wafer. Here is a picture. You can see that there's not much that could go wrong:

probe%20card.jpg
    800 x 600 - 136K
  • Hi Chip

IMHO, any non completely bad news are to be received as good news!

At the end, some samples will finally reach their proper destiny: your hands!

The Propeller 2 is your territory, you know it better than anyone else.

And @Whit

I'm seconding you, with my own prays.

Henrique
  • Chip

I was about to ask this question since you'd announced that OnSemi will be forwarding some pre-production samples to you, mounted into some machined lqfp frames, covered with some epoxy resin (black-colored, I supose).

Out of curiosity, could some transparent resin (UV opaque, for sure) be used in place of a non light transmissive one?
    Yanomani wrote: »
    Chip

I was about to ask this question since you'd announced that OnSemi will be forwarding some pre-production samples to you, mounted into some machined lqfp frames, covered with some epoxy resin (black-colored, I supose).

Out of curiosity, could some transparent resin (UV opaque, for sure) be used in place of a non light transmissive one?

Neat idea! I will ask them about this.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2018-09-17 22:49
    I'm gonna guess that if the probe card has to be sent out for repair then there aren't too many companies that can repair it,
    Wafer design is known only in the rarefied world of high tech. We are probably really close to the P2...if the probe card means the existing circuitry is awaiting validation.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-09-17 22:48
    Yanomani wrote: »
    Chip

This will be great if this can be done. I mean, forget about light sensors, we will have them built into every smartpin and every exposed structure on the chip! :wink:
    IIRC Micron came up with image sensors instead of DRAM this way :blush:

Even chip-scale packages have problems when exposed to bright light with increased leakage affecting the brown-out detector etc.

I know short-wave UV was used for erasing EPROMs but the first phototransistors were normal germanium transistors when they made them in glass cans painted black. Scratch the paint off and you had yourself a phototransistor.

@lardom - there are companies that specialize in these things since they have very fine mechanical impedance controlled probes etc so it is very easy to have a "mishap".

• Thriller...

I was wondering how close to an almost-perfect, hemispherical-shape format the resin could be safely cured, due to surface tension... Without flowing to a flat surface during the process (in the suposition that the curing of the resin does actualy generates some heat).

An IR-camera voyeuring at the various sections, individualy glowing, when activated by software...

IIRC, there was a Sony image sensor, sensible to visible light, IR and also UV....at the same time.

Mr. Hitchcock would ROFL, in his tomb! :lol:
    The project lead said that they use a certain opaque material and they don't have any other.

They will be able to do a post-package test on the blind-built parts, so we could be confident about their digital quality.

They will send us some bare die.

I asked her, "How soon?"
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2018-09-17 23:20
    Sure it is, and not only Sony

https://maxmax.com/maincamerapage/uv-vis-ir

P.S. Chip, please, forget the UV-opaque request.

Let it free! A metallic label could be glued over the lid, to protect from against UV, when needed.

Post edited: forget it.
    cgracey wrote: »
    The project lead said that they use a certain opaque material and they don't have any other.

best to stick with what they are used to, anyways.....
    They will be able to do a post-package test on the blind-built parts, so we could be confident about their digital quality.
    That's Good News....
    do they include a Icc/Vcc signature type capture - the boot-stages should be quite identifiable ?
    RCFAST, & reset exit timings, then Verilog ROM then Serial ROM....
    They will send us some bare die.
    Do you mean after some fail wafer probe ? Be a shame to ship what might be a working die, as bare die ....
    I asked her, "How soon?"
    Be sure to have heard that before too...

• Yanomani wrote: »
    Thriller...

I was wondering how close to an almost-perfect, hemispherical-shape format the resin could be safely cured, due to surface tension... Without flowing to a flat surface during the process (in the suposition that the curing of the resin does actualy generates some heat).

An IR-camera voyeuring at the various sections, individualy glowing, when activated by software...

IIRC, there was a Sony image sensor, sensible to visible light, IR and also UV....at the same time.

Mr. Hitchcock would ROFL, in his tomb! :lol:

You mean like with one of these

http://www.irlabs.com/IREM-SIL.html
  • @
    Here is a picture. You can see that there's not much that could go wrong:

Thanks! Chip. That's a cool picture. :)
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,894
    So, Prop2 broke the wafer tester... Maybe it's a good sign...
  • Ironically we just sold two IC profiling machines to OnSemi. One in Belgium, and another State side ... I doubt there is any relation to the Propeller II Project ... just ironic is all.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2018-09-21 18:28
    Chip: When do you expect to get the blind-built chips?
    We are supposed to receive them on October 1.

Haven't heard a peep from OnSemi since the last news I posted.
  • I can't believe we don't have a Dave Hein countdown calendar to Oct 1. Thats whats missing

Fingers crossed
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2018-09-21 23:40
    10 more days until Chip gets the chip! :smile:
    Before we get the chips in, does anybody have a design change they'd like to see made?
  • LOL If it ain't etched in silicon, it ain't etched in silicon. However, after all these years and all those requests it's good to be able to "ask" freely now :) If it's etched in silicon, it's etched in silicon. How delightful!
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    edited 2018-09-21 23:57
    no more improvements, just trying to use a few percent of the existing! Like with Tachyon. TaQOz will also not change :-)
    By the way: found, that ' is not a tag that shows, something is left out, or the rest of the line is only to confuse, it's an address operator. Great.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Before we get the chips in, does anybody have a design change they'd like to see made?
    Could you please add a call-with-current-continuation instruction?

Hehe, that depends on the errata, that comes next... ;)
    edited 2018-09-22 00:18
    I'm wiped out now after spending two whole days dismantling our tortilla factory and loading everything onto flatbed trucks. I put this together about six years ago, thinking I'd be done with Prop2 very soon and I'd have time to start making tortillas. Never had time, but eventually had a heart attack. Feeling very weakened, I agreed to sell the tortilla stuff. It took a year for the deal to complete, but when it finally did, it was within several days of the Prop2 coming back from fab!

I still have tortilla dreams, but I'd need to restart with a much smaller equipment set that would allow for development with small batches. My wife hates that idea. She's been in a good mood since those trucks left.

The new owners of all our equipment run a chain of retaurants in Chicago and are expanding into tortilla production.

Here are pictures of the trucks being loaded yesterday, plus one of the empty room.

2048 x 1152 - 1M
    2656 x 1494 - 1M
    2656 x 1494 - 805K
  • Chip,
    Now you have room for some big tools like CNC machines and laser cutters! Imagine the things you could make! :D I wish I had space like you have with that barn! I would have all sorts of woodworking and metalworking machines in it.

The only feature I really want in the P2 is having it in my hands as a real chip!

Here is a picture with the cooling conveyor on the truck. I made lots of modifications to that thing.

Forum software doesn't allow modifying pictures later.
    2656 x 1494 - 1M
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Here is a picture with the cooling conveyor on the truck. I made lots of modifications to that thing.

Forum software doesn't allow modifying pictures later.

Sure it does, kinda. In the other Leave a Comment box at the end of the screen just attach a file and insert image, grab the link and put it in the post you want to edit (which can be open at the same time). You might need to resize it though since you need to insert the image. Haven't tried manually adding bbcode size tags though.
    I do this all the time when I want to update or add an image.
    Oh, thanks, Peter. Now I'll know.