Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
For what purposes is the "Basic Stamp Homework Board USB" relevant ? — Parallax Forums

For what purposes is the "Basic Stamp Homework Board USB" relevant ?

Hello everyone,
I'm currently an intern in a small company and my training supervisor wants me to work on a Basic Stamp Homework board USB. He wants me to use a Basic Stamp Board USB and its accelerometer and to make it communicates with a digi BL4S110 (with a zigbee). This whole system is mean to be a network that watch out if hatchs are open illegaly on a private property (from another company).
I wanted to know if it was relevant to use a Basic Stamp over Arduino on this professional projec and if it is the case, why ?

Kind regards,
Theron Julien

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2018-08-13 13:18
    Since you are an intern and this is part of your training, I would ask you:
    How do you choose one particular technology over another for a project?
    Is it based on price? If so, what are the hidden costs of any technology that may distort the price?
    Is it based on particular features that are wanted? In this case, what's the accelerometer for? Do you need that feature or is there something else, possibly cheaper, simpler, more reliable?
    Why these particular choices? What features does a Basic Stamp Board USB have that fits the project's needs?
    Arduino is an architecture, not a particular product. You're comparing different things. What Arduino board are you considering? What are its features? What are the costs involved? What additional parts might be needed?
    What kind of support is available for the boards you're considering? Does that matter in your case? What's the lifetime of this product and will support be available in the future?
    I have a Basic Stamp HomeWork Board USB in front of me. Where's the accelerometer? Where's the Zigbee?
    I also have an Arduino in front of me (SparkFun Serial LCD Kit). Where's the accelerometer? Where's the Zigbee? What else do I need?
  • Hello Mike,
    First of all thank you for your detailed answer, despites my short and unclear question. I’m going to use all your questions to exchange with my training supervisor and to get the more information as possible, because all instruction I had was “there’s a board on your desk and an accelerometer, make them both work and communicate with a Digi Bl4S110 (with a Zigbee)” and that’s pretty much it. I’m not even sure about the aim of this whole thing, I just deduced it from the fact that he is working on project this type. When I asked it about the aim of all this, he just told me that I didn’t need to know and that I just should make it works.
    I’ll keep this thread updated, when I got more information.
    Kind regards,
    Theron Julien
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    For starters you need to post the part number for the accelerometer. You will also need a Zigbee module for the Basic Stamp to communicate with the Zigbee on the Digi Bl4S110. You will also need to debug and test the communications, preferably with a Digi Bl4S110 with the same setup as what will be used in the project.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2018-08-13 20:18
    This is clearly one of those "here is what we have on hand. Make it work with the Digi BI4S110 next door. Learn what you can in the process."
    Parallax has lots of documentation on the Digi modules and on the Basic Stamp. Familiarize yourself with what's available on the Parallax website. Get copies ... digital or paper ... of the documentation for the BI4S110, the accelerometer you've been given, the Zigbee module you're supposed to use, etc. Parallax's documentation is well supplied with sample code and the digital downloads are free. Check out the "Nuts and Volts" columns (search for "Parallax Nuts and Volts Columns").
  • Hello Kwinn,
    Thank you for your clear and concise answer.
    I'm guess I will do it this way.

• tonyp12 wrote: »

Hi tonyp12,
    This seems interesting, I'm going to see into it and maybe talk about it to my training supervisor , thank you
  • Mike Green wrote: »
    This is clearly one of those "here is what we have on hand. Make it work with the Digi BI4S110 next door. Learn what you can in the process."

Yeah I guess you nailed it.
    Once again, thank you for your wise advises.