Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Am I being a bit too paranoid? — Parallax Forums

Am I being a bit too paranoid?

Facebook stock is taking a beatdown, while China is ramping up facial recognition technology starts both here and elsewhere. Given the way Facebook has (not) handled its data so well, I have to wonder at the effects of a takeover would have. I'm sure some not so friendly foreign straw buyers could come up with enough shares if Face book fell far enough. imagine the value of having all that data tied to the correct faces to start coupled with enormous cash to test and use/abuse all that data. Then again, I wonder how really secure all of that database is really, no need to buy if you already have it all one way or another.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    You're not paranoid enough about the right things.

A Chinese owned Facebook would be the best thing to happen. It might actually get some long overdue privacy rules on the books.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    evanh,

What?

You mean it would be better if the Chinese regime had direct access to everything all the time?

As opposed to the massive leaks to random unknown organizations already taking place?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    Heater. wrote: »
    .. it would be better if the Chinese regime had direct access to everything all the time?

It couldn't be any worse than what we've got with the current level of apathy. People might start being responsible for themselves for a change.

What would really happen though, is a mass hysteria would be whipped up to ensure everyone moved to an alternative platform ... And back to business as usual.

• I really don't get why anyone would want to let the world know so much about their day to day activities and thoughts. They're just asking for trouble IMO.
  • So long as there are sheeple there will be shearers to tend them.

I like my flip phone. I like the tape over the camera. I love the faraday bag I keep it in.