Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Maker Faire UK (Newcastle) this weekend — Parallax Forums

Maker Faire UK (Newcastle) this weekend

TonyDTonyD Posts: 210
edited 2018-04-27 11:26 in General Discussion
Hi All

Is anyone going to Maker Faire UK in Newcastle this weekend (29/30th April)?

I'm there with a stand (PiZynth) with some RC2014 retro computing stuff and it would be cool to meet up with anyone from these forums

cheers

Tony

Comments

• I guess that's a 'no', then!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Sounds great.

Newcastle is a bit out of my way. As I guess it is for most people around here, even those living in England!

Look forward to reading your report on the action there.
  • Hack A Day UK (A writer and hackerspace manager) was there.
    Jenny List reports that the show & tell was definitely well done. (I want her to visit us during the routine meetings of the Hack a Day NYC chapter....)
  • TonyD wrote: »
    Hi All

Is anyone going to Maker Faire UK in Newcastle this weekend (29/30th April)?

I'm there with a stand (PiZynth) with some RC2014 retro computing stuff and it would be cool to meet up with anyone from these forums

cheers

Tony
    PiZynth? Sounds interesting. Can you tell us more? I'm also tempted to get an RC2014 kit.

• Yes, it was a very good couple of days. It's definitely a show and tell, hands-on, family friendly faire. Got some freebies from Arrow and RS components/ Designspark.
    Hack A Day UK (A writer and hackerspace manager) was there.
    Jenny List reports that the show & tell was definitely well done. (I want her to visit us during the routine meetings of the Hack a Day NYC chapter....)
    Spoke a lot with Jenny from Hackaday and Jasmine from Tindie. The after faire party at Newcastle's Maker Space was a good affair. Quite a few of those attending never got back to their hotels until the wee hours a little worse for wear.
    David Betz wrote: »
    PiZynth? Sounds interesting. Can you tell us more? I'm also tempted to get an RC2014 kit.
    yeah, PiZynth is a Raspberry Pi Zero enabled tiny software synthesizer. It features a 5-pin DIN MIDI interface and a audio DAC all in a very small package.

The RC2014 Z80 stuff was well received and lots of interest especially from those who started out on the first generation of home computers. Spencer Owen who created the RC2014 Z80 system was there.
    yeah, PiZynth is a Raspberry Pi Zero enabled tiny software synthesizer. It features a 5-pin DIN MIDI interface and a audio DAC all in a very small package.
    Is this a board that I can buy?

• @David

Is was just something I made for the fun of it but it got a lot of interest at the faire.

If you're happy soldering surface mount components I've a few spare PCB's which I'll put on tindie over the weekend.
    @David

Is was just something I made for the fun of it but it got a lot of interest at the faire.

If you're happy soldering surface mount components I've a few spare PCB's which I'll put on tindie over the weekend.

Please do!

@David

Well, surface mount soldering is something that I've done very little of. I guess if the parts aren't too tiny I could make an attempt. Sounds like a worthy project!
    Yes, it was a very good couple of days. It's definitely a show and tell, hands-on, family friendly faire. Got some freebies from Arrow and RS components/ Designspark.
    Hack A Day UK (A writer and hackerspace manager) was there.
    Spoke a lot with Jenny from Hackaday and Jasmine from Tindie. The after faire party at Newcastle's Maker Space was a good affair. Quite a few of those attending never got back to their hotels until the wee hours a little worse for wear.

The RC2014 Z80 stuff was well received and lots of interest especially from those who started out on the first generation of home computers. Spencer Owen who created the RC2014 Z80 system was there.

Hello!
    That's who I mean. I belong to the NYC group for Hack A Day, and as it happens I've asked them about three times to invite Jenny to join us at either one of the regular meetings, (any) oh and Maker Faire US (The bigger one held here during the late Summer to Early Fall in the Worlds Fair grounds in Corona Queens.) and of course the up coming Vintage Computer Fair being held here in NJ towards the end of the month.

Besides, it's not that important. I'm just happy that you had a good time there.