Forum Update - Announcement about May 10th, 2018 update and your password.

Prop2 ROM Development

cgraceycgracey Posts: 9,139
edited April 9 in Propeller 2 Vote Up0Vote Down
Here's how we can develop the boot ROM...

In this .zip file are v32b 8-cog/64-smartpin/512KB-hub images for the Prop123-A9 and BeMicro-A9 FPGA boards:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P5y__g2cgpMmVlFYSQ5VGgd8mrrHEXxy/view?usp=sharing

They appear to the PNut_v32b.exe program as 1024KB-hub images, so that downloading can occur all the way up to $FFFFF. This is necessary for loading new ROM code into proper position.

Included is the current ROM file with a little header program which replaces the initial ROM contents:
'
'
' Load new ROM and wait for next reset
'
dat		org

		loc	ptra,#$FC000		'ready to enter new data into rom

.lp		rdbyte	byte_data,ptra++	'get new rom byte
		setbyte	rom_write,byte_data,#2	'install into command
		hubset	rom_write		'do rom write command
		add	rom_write,#1		'inc address in command
		djnz	byte_count,#.lp		'loop until 16KB loaded into rom

		jmp	#$			'wait for reset

rom_write	long	$30000000		'rom write command
byte_count	long	$4000			'number of rom bytes
byte_data	res	1			'byte buffer


'****************************************
'*					*
'*	Propeller II ROM Booter		*
'*					*
'*	4/9/2018 - v32			*
'*					*
'****************************************

CON
'	ver		=	"A"		'Prop123-A9 / BeMicro-A9, 16 cogs, 12 smart pins
'	cogs		=	16

'	ver		=	"B"		'DE2-115
'	cogs		=	4

'	ver		=	"C"		'DE0-Nano / DE0-Nano Bare
'	cogs		=	1

'	ver		=	"D"		'BeMicro-A2
'	cogs		=	1

'	ver		=	"E"		'Prop123-A7
'	cogs		=	4

	ver		=	"F"		'Prop123-A9 / BeMicro-A9, 8 cogs, 64 smart pins
	cogs		=	8


	rx_pin		=	63		'pin serial receiver
	tx_pin		=	62		'pin serial transmitter
	spi_cs		=	61		'pin SPI memory select
	spi_ck		=	60		'pin SPI memory clock
	spi_dq		=	59		'pin SPI memory data I/O
	rx_ths		=	1		'pin autobaud time high states
	rx_tne		=	0		'pin autobaud time negative edges

	cog_spi		=	$000		'cog SPI program start
	cog_start	=	$100		'cog code start
	cog_base64	=	$1B0		'cog base64 start

	lut_buff	=	$000		'lut serial receive buffer
	lut_btop	=	$00F		'lut serial receive buffer top
	lut_start	=	$010		'lut code start

	spi_ok		=	0		'bit flags
	cmd_on		=	1

	rc_max		=	30_000_000	'max frequency of RC oscillator

DAT
'
'
'*******************************************
'*  Cog init - overwritten by SPI program  *
'*******************************************
'
		orgh	$FC000
		org
'
'
' Move code into position
'
		setq	#cog_end-cog_code-1	'move cog code into position
		rdlong	cog_start,##@cog_code

		setq2	#lut_end-lut_code-1	'move lut code into position
		rdlong	lut_start,##@lut_code
...

Comments

  • 10 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Peter, Cluso99, this is for you guys. This will let you test any ROM data you can concoct. You would add your code after mine and then modify mine to invoke yours.
  • Thanks Chip, I've just been a bit busy but hope to get stuck into it shortly.

    Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    --->CLICK THE LOGO for more links<---
    Latest binary V5.4 includes EASYFILE +++++ Tachyon Forth News Blog
    P2 SHORTFORM DATASHEET +++++ TAQOZ documentation
    Brisbane, Australia
  • No problem, Peter.

    We need to figure out how TAQOZ will be invoked. Would a serial command like Prop_TAQ be the way?
  • I prefer a control key, nice and quick and easy to remember, like ctrl+D for debug maybe or ctrl+T for TAQOZ or just simply an escape.

    Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    --->CLICK THE LOGO for more links<---
    Latest binary V5.4 includes EASYFILE +++++ Tachyon Forth News Blog
    P2 SHORTFORM DATASHEET +++++ TAQOZ documentation
    Brisbane, Australia
  • Chip,
    I need to put a compiled P2 program into a file so that I can load it. Is there a simple way to do it?

    If not, no worries as I will find a program to put hex into a file - its quite short. Just need to verify that the loaded file with SD Boot actually loads and runs :)

    Now, I will digest what you have said above.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 9,139
    edited April 10 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Chip,
    I need to put a compiled P2 program into a file so that I can load it. Is there a simple way to do it?

    If not, no worries as I will find a program to put hex into a file - its quite short. Just need to verify that the loaded file with SD Boot actually loads and runs :)

    Now, I will digest what you have said above.

    Just add your source code after mine and use ctrl-M to see where things are going into $FC000..$FFFFF. My initial boot code assembles from $FC000..$FC547. Yours could immediately follow. You'll need to put an instruction or two into my code to invoke yours, when wanted. Then, just hit F11 and it will download the composite image.

    That little program at the very start that runs at $00000 will install everything assembled from $FC000..$FFFFF into the internal 16KB ROM.

    On the next reset, that new ROM image will run. If you mess up, just reset your BeMicro-A9 so that it reconfigures everything, including the starting ROM, which allows ROM replacement.

    It's way simpler than you are imagining. You get to work in the context of your source code, appended to mine.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Just add your source code after mine and use ctrl-M to see where things are going into $FC000..$FFFFF. My initial boot code assembles from $FC000..$FC547. Yours could immediately follow. You'll need to put an instruction or two into my code to invoke yours, when wanted. Then, just hit F11 and it will download the composite image.

    That little program at the very start that runs at $00000 will install everything assembled from $FC000..$FFFFF into the internal 16KB ROM.

    On the next reset, that new ROM image will run. If you mess up, just reset your BeMicro-A9 so that it reconfigures everything, including the starting ROM, which allows ROM replacement.

    It's way simpler than you are imagining. You get to work in the context of your source code, appended to mine.


    Now you're talking, this is better than I hoped for. I am going to try this as soon as I can which unfortunately isn't right at this very moment :(


    Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    --->CLICK THE LOGO for more links<---
    Latest binary V5.4 includes EASYFILE +++++ Tachyon Forth News Blog
    P2 SHORTFORM DATASHEET +++++ TAQOZ documentation
    Brisbane, Australia
  • Chip,
    Sorry, I am not quite following what you have done.

    I presume that the ROM code included in the jic image has the usual download ability from pnut.exe.

    If we put our code at $FC000 following the cog & lut load instructions we will be good to go as the "little header program" will execute and copy the new ROM from $FC000 into some "hidden 16KB" place ready for the next boot. Is this correct???
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 9,139
    edited April 10 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Chip,
    Sorry, I am not quite following what you have done.

    I presume that the ROM code included in the jic image has the usual download ability from pnut.exe.

    If we put our code at $FC000 following the cog & lut load instructions we will be good to go as the "little header program" will execute and copy the new ROM from $FC000 into some "hidden 16KB" place ready for the next boot. Is this correct???

    That's right. The ROM within the FPGA configuration tells PNut that it has 1MB of hub RAM, which permits loading all the way up to $FFFFF. Remember that the last 16KB of hub RAM appears at both $7C000..$7FFFF and $FC000..$FFFFF, in the case of a 512KB hub, which is what these FPGA images have. Anyway, that appearance of 1MB permits the last 16KB to be loaded all the way up at $FC000..$FFFFF, which allows correct ORGH values in your source code.

    That little program at the beginning at $00000 transfers the downloaded code up at $FC000..$FFFFF into the ROM. That way, on the next reset, your new ROM image runs. If you wind up locking things up, just cycle power on your BeMicro-A9 so that it reloads the original ROM which tells PNut that it's okay to load all the way to $FFFFF, again. In fact, you will need to cycle power on every new try, because my ROM code will set things properly to 512KB of hub RAM, inhibiting the reload up to $FFFFF.
  • Thanks Chip :)

    I have the SD Boot code working using my method to load a named file in FAT32 into hub at $0 upwards, then copying the bottom 496 longs to cog and executing it. It works, flashing my leds in sequence. I have verified the whole 32KB loads into hub.

    Now to remove all the debug info. Not sure if I will complete this until Thursday tho'. Once done, I can put it into your code above :)

    BTW I have some routines that provide some debugging in hubexec mode, like outputting memory contents from cog/lut/hub, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.