Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Full-chip integration at On Semi - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

Full-chip integration at On Semi

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    jmg wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    Here is what it should look like:

Very bold, but shame it's not a Google-friendly label, or something likely to enter the lexicon....

What do you mean?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    jmg wrote: »

Very bold, but shame it's not a Google-friendly label, or something likely to enter the lexicon....

What do you mean?

Type P2 into google, and you get 223,000,000 results, it's doubtful the chip will ever get out of the noise floor, ( but P2 parallax might, if someone can remember all that)

In contrast, type STM32, STM8, EFM8 into google, and the top hits are all MCU relevant,
    STM32 gives 7,940,000 results
    arduino has 90,400,000 results,
    raspberry pi has 51,100,000

Ah, but P8C512K64P has zero results. I did check that.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-05-05 02:27
    cgracey wrote:
    Yeah, but who's gonna remember that mouthful? What's wrong with "Propeller II" or "Propeller 2" ?

Or, if you want to claim a part number prefix, use "PLX," as in PLXP2A, for example. All the city folks have their own prefixes, viz: MAX, MCP, AD, AT, CY. Parallax can, too.

-Phil
  • Looking good! I wished there's a P2 DIP module with some SDRAM or large storage inside too. These days we love to have some more RAM!

And if it's already out, I wanna make myself that emulator-based mini arcade! Wonder if it's strong enough to do an NES emulation? :)
    cgracey wrote:
    Yeah, but who's gonna remember that mouthful? What's wrong with "Propeller II" or "Propeller 2" ?

Or, if you want to claim a part number prefix, use "PLX," as in PLXP2A, for example. All the city folks have their own prefixes, viz: MAX, MCP, AD, AT, CY. Parallax can, too.
    It's not just the remember / mouthful effect.

Most Distributors and Chip search engines already do substring searched, so I can type
    STM32 into Digikey for example, and get 2267 results, or EFM8 and get 390 results, or PIC32 and get 2264 results...
    That covers ALL cores M0 thru M7 and up.

PLX sounds a good prefix for parallax, - there are modest hits on shortened forms like TXRX RS485 FULL DUPLX , DUAL4:1 MLTPLXR but none under Microcontroller.

PLX32xxxx would follow others convention.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2018-05-05 03:35
    Rethinking, yes a "PLX" prefix sounds nice.

The P8 actually implies 8-bits not 32 :(
    I know it means 8C = 8 cogs/cores, but others won't.

Anyway, is the label chipped in stone???

PLX32-8C512K64P
  • So the P2 can communicate between cogs? That would be awesome!
    PLX32.jpg
    128 x 128 - 11K
  • I would have to agree with jmg. Search engine results will likely play an important role in the success of the chip. I think it is a subject that Parallax should put some serious thought into, before making a final decision about the markings.
  • I hope Parallax doesn't forget about getting noticed in the industry rags like EDN or Digital Design or ESC.

These would help get the word out especially if they have a killer app or two to exhibit P2 capabilities. The thing is you need to catch people's attention this is where a solid application is worth a lot.

In regards to the PLX label. You guys better check with legal with that given that there is a IC company called PLX Technologies. You're asking for trouble if you don't.
  • cgracey wrote: »

Don't know if already asked, but, why don't keep the "hat" (sorry I don't remember how it is called) like the P1 ? I liked that hat and is a very distinguishable mark when taking photos. Maybe a bit smaller with P2 on a corner ?
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Maybe because a hat reminds to a cap and that may be inappropriate in these dark ages. But what about revolver or bumper and we found a NPA? To gain success, every means should be right. Sorry, but I do not think something else as the chip is needed to gain success. Because then we can create cool products based on a propeller.
  • Just an idea but I'd expect to see P2 as the first part of the part number and the big P2 stylized a little. A bit like this:
    1328 x 1124 - 95K
    Just an idea but I'd expect to see P2 as the first part of the part number and the big P2 stylized a little. A bit like this:
    Bit of wishful thinking there Peter ;)

4MB HUB RAM.. Yes Please ;)

• Flash memory is specified in bits, not bytes. The p2 memory is 4M bit. A 24lc256 eeprom is only 32kB but it is referred to as 256kb.
    But the point is, if the part number starts with P2 rather than P8 then it would be more natural to say that.
  • Just an idea but I'd expect to see P2 as the first part of the part number and the big P2 stylized a little. A bit like this:
    Looks good but why not have a stylized "P2X" in that case? Then the label on the chip will match a prefix of the actual part number.

(At least for the engineering samples,)... Go with Comic Sans. That will get everyone talking about it.

Then something more sedate for the main production
    Flash memory is specified in bits, not bytes. The p2 memory is 4M bit. A 24lc256 eeprom is only 32kB but it is referred to as 256kb.
    But the point is, if the part number starts with P2 rather than P8 then it would be more natural to say that.
    Makes perfect sense. 8M

I'd still prefer P32 stylised like you did for P2 - looks racey!!
    edited 2018-05-05 14:18
    Just an idea but I'd expect to see P2 as the first part of the part number and the big P2 stylized a little. A bit like this:

I like this a lot. The use of M instead of K is much better.

P2X8C4M64P

What font did you use?
    Looking forward to the "P3" P3X2KC1G64P using 10nm.
    Flash memory is specified in bits, not bytes. The p2 memory is 4M bit. A 24lc256 eeprom is only 32kB but it is referred to as 256kb.
    I like this a lot. The use of M instead of K is much better.

Well... most customers would consider that being sneaky / false advertising, as while Flash memory may be in bits, Microcontroller memory is always in bytes.
    This is NOT a flash memory, it IS a Microcontroller.

• The reason for 4M is that the part number is getting a bit unwieldy once we use a P2X prefix so 4M is a lot shorter than 512K and the datasheet and features all say 512k "bytes". Part numbers do not need to be accurate descriptions and some part numbers mean absolutely nothing, so there is absolutely nothing deceptive about this numbering.

Chip, I use Eurostile to make it more in line with the Parallax logo shape. I've attached the LibreOffice drawing file I used.

1630 x 1546 - 200K
    odg
  • Is it really necessary for the part number to be descriptive? "NE555" doesn't say a thing about what it does, but people sure remember it! I'd have to look up "P2X-8C4M64P" every time I wanted to refer to it.

-Phil
    Is it really necessary for the part number to be descriptive? "NE555" doesn't say a thing about what it does, but people sure remember it! I'd have to look up "P2X-8C4M64P" every time I wanted to refer to it.
    I think the story of the 555 has the 5's being the three 5k resistors in the divider, so it did relate quite literally to what was inside the part :)

That's where a searchable prefix is important. Full part numbers usually include package too, so they are a total mouthful.
    eg SiLabs have EFM8 or EFM32 as the family, and then 3 char's after that, select family member

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    It is a myth that the 555 timer was named after it's divider resistor values. It was just on of the "5" series of chips from Signetics at the time.
    http://www.semiconductormuseum.com/Transistors/LectureHall/Camenzind/Camenzind_Page2.htm

The reason for 4M is that the part number is getting a bit unwieldy once we use a P2X prefix so 4M is a lot shorter than 512K and the datasheet and features all say 512k "bytes". Part numbers do not need to be accurate descriptions and some part numbers mean absolutely nothing, so there is absolutely nothing deceptive about this numbering.

Chip, I use Eurostile to make it more in line with the Parallax logo shape. I've attached the LibreOffice drawing file I used.
    Now, that looks like a nice chip!!!
    Well done Peter.
    The reason for 4M is that the part number is getting a bit unwieldy once we use a P2X prefix ...

If you have a P2X family prefix, why not have the large text as P2X ?

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    It is a myth that the 555 timer was named after it's divider resistor values. It was just on of the "5" series of chips from Signetics at the time.
    http://www.semiconductormuseum.com/Transistors/LectureHall/Camenzind/Camenzind_Page2.htm

Thanks for posting that link Heater. That was an interesting read. As a long time user and fan of the 555 I'm surprised I hadn't come across it before.
  • jmg wrote: »
    The reason for 4M is that the part number is getting a bit unwieldy once we use a P2X prefix ...

If you have a P2X family prefix, why not have the large text as P2X ?
    Didn't I just suggest that a few messages back? :-)