Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
are caps required for a voltage regulator? — Parallax Forums

are caps required for a voltage regulator?

Hey guys,
When powering a propeller chip from a 3.3v regulator, are capacitors required for normal operation?
If I leave them out, can the propeller still function perfectly?

Thanks!

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    edited 2018-02-17 16:56
    Regulators usually require capacitors on input and output. The datasheet should say the minimum or recommended bypass capacitors.
    The Prop runs a lot more reliably if it has a couple 1uF caps nearby.
  • In your question, the word "required" is relative. In other words, you can operate without them, but I don't think anyone would recommend it and every datasheet for a linear regulator will show them in their recommended circuit layout.
    So, if for some reason you can't use them in your circuit, try without to see if your circuit is stable.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-02-17 18:51
    I would not power anything from a regulator that's missing the recommended caps. If the regulator oscillates, whatever it powers might be subject to an overvoltage. Read the datasheet for the regulator and follow its recommendations to the letter. The capacitance, voltage rating and ESR figure are all important, the latter especially with modern low-dropout regulators.

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I would not power anything from a regulator that's missing the recommended caps. If the regulator oscillates, whatever it powers might be subject to an overvoltage. Read the datasheet for the regulator and follow its recommendations to the letter. The capacitance, voltage rating and ESR figure are all important, the latter especially with modern low-dropout regulators.

-Phil
    +1

Definately required, and don't just increase the cap value either!
    And the input and output caps are required right at the regulator pins!
    And just like the prop requires its' caps right at its' pins!

Just because it works today, does not guarantee it will work tomorrow !!!!!
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    Pico,
    Yes. All of the above is good advice. It's no different to any other engineering. Basically, low-ESR capacitors physically located against the regulator gives the power regulation a sturdy structure upon which everything else downstream depends on.

A wobbly picnic table works only as long as you are treating it as such.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    pico wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    When powering a propeller chip from a 3.3v regulator, are capacitors required for normal operation?
    If I leave them out, can the propeller still function perfectly?

Thanks!
    That depends very much on the power source, and regulator itself.
    Modern LDO regulators certainly DO need caps, on both IN and OUT for stability, and just to keep novices on their toes, many have ESR specs to worry about too...

As always, read the data sheet, for the part you are using !

If I remember right, the older regulators actually wanted high ESR for stability. They basically wanted tantalum capacitors... Some of the newer regulators will let you use ceramic capacitors with low ESR...
  • And some other regulators require that the ESR be within a low-to-high range. The LM3940 is an example.

-Phil
    Rayman wrote: »
    If I remember right, the older regulators actually wanted high ESR for stability. They basically wanted tantalum capacitors... Some of the newer regulators will let you use ceramic capacitors with low ESR...

Both Ceramics and Tantalums are known for always having low ESR - more ideal capacitor. The notable difference between them is achievable capacitance. Ceramics used to be limited to sub-uF whereas tantilums had no problems with 100 uF or more.

Aside from that, they each have their own problems though. Tantilums have a weakness to stress - They fail easy, usually explosively - Can be problematic in power supply circuits. Ceramics have very loose operational tolerances - Their capacitance varies with everything - Not usually an issue in power supply circuits.

• evanh wrote: »

Both Ceramics and Tantalums are known for always having low ESR - more ideal capacitor. The notable difference between them is achievable capacitance. Ceramics used to be limited to sub-uF whereas tantilums had no problems with 100 uF or more.

Aside from that, they each have their own problems though. Tantilums have a weakness to stress - They fail easy, usually explosively - Can be problematic in power supply circuits. Ceramics have very loose operational tolerances - Their capacitance varies with everything - Not usually an issue in power supply circuits.

After trying to repair some notebooks' motherboards, whose main defects were related to their batteries' charging and source-switching power distribution circuits, and becaming frustrated with the net results of my efforts, at the point to put my own skills in doubt, I decided to gather more information about ceramic caps, because I was almost sure that they were the main culprits of the bad results I've initially achieved.

As usual, relying on information provided by others, with similar experiences, has saved me many labour days, and a lot of frustration too.

https://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/TUT5527.pdf

Hope it helps a bit.

Henrique
  • Good grief! That's an eye-opener! Thanks for posting, Yanomani!

-Phil
  • MIchael_MichalskiMIchael_Michalski Posts: 138
    edited 2018-02-21 01:41
    I ran into that document a few weeks ago. I needed a stable 50hz source and ended up realizing that I needed to generate something much faster and divide it down to get any sort of stability because the larger values of capacitors are only available in types that are not appropriate for precision timing. (In the end I found a tiny chip the size of an sot transistor that does everything and can create a long time delays or low frequencies with only three resistors) Brings to mind some interesting ideas for really simple voltage controlled oscillators though.
  • Just read the data sheet for your regulator. Example LM78XX
  • Good grief! That's an eye-opener! Thanks for posting, Yanomani!

-Phil

Sure it was, for me too!

Before I found it, and other ones with similar contents, I was always unsure of specifying and using ceramics, at least in the uF range.

I'm still uncertain if voltage regulator designers take such effects into account, when they write their datasheets, or not.

When the circuit allows enough tolerance, I usualy oversize their values (and dimensions too, sometimes), to stay on the safe side of the fence.

As for power supplies, a rule of thumb that seems to ever work, is switching several loads, between the minimum and maximum designed limits, while observing both current and voltage waveforms, with an osciloscope.

If they have a trend to oscillate, or even fail, as the output load changes, I must know it, way before any customer calls me, complaining. :lol:

Henrique
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    WOW!

I only use X7R for bypass caps, but had no idea the smaller 0603 were not the same specs as 0805. I guess we are fortunate that the prop is 3V3 so it's a lower voltage :)
    Even so, there is the 5V side of the regulator.
  • The piezoelectric characteristic of high-K ceramic caps sometimes leads to a distinctive high frequency whine from voltage regulator circuits. I recall there was one of the early Propeller demo boards that had that issue.

High frequency inductance of the capacitors is small, on the order of 0.5 nH, but circuit traces add a lot. That is why the bypass capacitor needs to be close to the regulator. And the Propeller switches fast, needs and instant supply of current, high frequencies to bypass, so additional bypass capacitors need to be placed right next to the propeller pins. All those capacitors taken together form a bypass network, a beast indeed.

An aside: Avoid low-voltage high-K ceramics for audio coupling. Voltage dependency leads to harmonic distortion at low frequencies where the capacitor's reactance is a significant.

Ah, I'm thinking Rayman might have got "K" crossed with "ESR".

• Ageing is another extremely important point to check, when selecting ceramic capacitors for any given application.

When verifying this characteristic, look for the term "load life" at the datasheets.

Examples from comercialy available MLCCs:

X7R ageing = 12.5% (eight years expected life)
    Y5F ageing = 30.0% (THREE YEARS EXPECTED LIFE)

The above term is not to be confused with "life under load conditions", wich it surelly appears to be, in our technical minds, but it is not.

In fact, It is an intrinsic characteristic of the chemical/physical compounds used in the construction of capacitor's ceramic dielectric layers.

And it starts counting from the very moment the capacitor leaves its production line.

How to overcome that apparently terrible limitation (either eight years or three years seems to be too low an useful life aniway)... Temperature cycling all devices (shelf, stock, mounted or not onto PCBs) above the Curie Point of the particular ceramic compound; e.g. - X7R >= 125ºC - recommended = 150ºC, for enough time (two hours IIRC).

Sources (AVX is only an example, every vendor should have this data available):

https://alliedelec.com/m/d/8d6d41767ef490fe339db59d8653fb2f.pdf

sphere.bc.ca/test/production-parts/avx-cer-x7r.pdf

Autoritative reading, for study addicted ones (like me, :lol: ):

Electroceramics - Second Edition
    Materials Properties Applications
    A. J. Moulson and J. M. Herbert

John Wiley & Sons Ltd

Henrique
  • When I tell the people at work about "small" capacitors that were the size of small dustbins, or encased in candle wax - they smile, but in a symathetic way ... I think ...
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2018-02-24 23:12
    What gets me is that resistive components can last decades without degrading. What's so challenging about dielectric materials that they can't have the same long-term stability?

-Phil
    You can read this TI app note to see why some regulators need high ESR:

http://www.ti.com/jp/lit/an/slva115/slva115.pdf

• Hi Phil

The book I've cited in my last post (electroceramics) has almost all about it, but it's huge (> 550 pages) and sure, it's also a dense reading, as the subject it deals with.

I've just scratched it, at the surface, but it seems such a steep learning curve, even for my 62 y.o. seasoned brain.

In the meantime, i've also found some insightful explanations of the phenomena involved in aging.

One of them is:

https://johansondielectrics.com/ceramic-capacitor-aging-made-simple

IIRC AVX also has a good video about that subject, though I couldn't find it, at the moment.

Henrique
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    Rayman wrote: »
    You can read this TI app note to see why some regulators need high ESR:

http://www.ti.com/jp/lit/an/slva115/slva115.pdf
    Nice document and scope shots.
    This shows why advice that says "the bypass capacitor needs to be close to the regulator" is not always the best advice.
    You can meet the ESR specs, with longer traces to the larger CAP (which is often better placed closer to the load, not regulator).
    eg a 10 mm loop, of 10 mil trace calcs at 38 mOhms