Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ebay: 2X TAB Robot Kits $25 each — Parallax Forums

Ebay: 2X TAB Robot Kits $25 each

ercoerco Posts: 20,253
edited 2018-03-22 16:49 in Robotics
Not the BEST robot by today's standards, but interesting and very advanced for 2002. Certainly a worthy must-have if you collect robots (or is it just me?). These are new and cheap at $25 each shipped. PCB chassis has an empty socket to plug in an optional BS-2 (not included), although somewhat clunky to use with Shiftin/Shiftout commands. Comes with remote control and several behaviors hard coded in. Here's mine chugging around a Figure 8 courtesy of a BS2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/232666116800

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2018-02-16 06:32
    The original concept for these was my design, named L'il Cricket. It was a gearless robot that scooted around on slanted motor shafts. The idea was to have a pre-programmed PIC with some basic functionality out of the box, and then a socket for a BS2 for further experimentation. Since it was to be sold through bookstores, who are used to fairly high margins, it had to meet a very specific price point.

I ended up not finishing the project as I was working for a subtitling film lab in Hollywood, and all my available time was spent there. So we turned it over to Myke Predko, who brought in Ben Wirz for hardware. They redeveloped everything, going with geared motors and other nifty features. Turns out this was a very wise choice, and the Tab robot was a hit the moment it came out. Both Myke and Ben did a terrific job with the constraints they had. Everyone should have one of these, if nothing else for the historical aspect!
  • @erco
    I think this is right up your alley
    Smartphone dock bot
    too bad it didn't get fully funded
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    Interesting background info on this bot, Gordon!
    New in sealed box, $20: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232701155091
    GONE! Who bought it? Where's my finder's fee?
  • erco wrote: »
    Who bought it?

I was just so impressed with the packaging/design I had to have it.

So was this actually sold on the rack, with other books? Or like software at a computer store? I had seen Stamps etc at Fry's and RS, but never saw this.
    AFAIK it was sold at bookstores. Possibly Fry's too.
  • Tab (McGraw-Hill by then) merchandised this as a book and like any book would sell it to anyone who wanted to carry it. But I recall it was primarily through Barnes & Noble and their related stores of the time (Bookstar, B. Dalton, etc.). Fry's used to carry a lot of books, and in fact were a major outlet for computer books, so they probably had it, though stocked with the books not with the kits.
    @The_Master: It's a nice kit. It doesn't do line following, though, so consider adding another kit to your stable of PCB-on-wheels robots. This one's only $4 but there's soldering involved. Although ironically this photo shows an unsoldered kit, components barely in the holes. Check out that IC!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent-Tracking-Smart-Car-Suite-DIY-Kits-TT-Motor-Electronic-Component/232478968647

tracking%20car.jpg
    1001 x 1001 - 73K
  • Jeff HaasJeff Haas Posts: 418
    edited 2018-03-20 23:16
    It makes you think the person selling it doesn’t know how to use it!
    Or they don't know how to weld.

Many Chinese descriptions say "welding" instead of "soldering".