Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying to install propelleride — Parallax Forums

Trying to install propelleride

Hello all-
Im trying to install propelleride on my linux machine, Cutting and pasting the commands on the download page and I get this error:
dpkg: error processing archive propelleride-0.33.3-amd64.deb (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 propelleride-0.33.3-amd64.deb

Im not the brightest when it comes to linux (which is why i installed it to get better), can anyone help?

Thanks
Shawn

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    You need to run the dpkg command from the directory that contains the package file.

Presuming you downloaded version 0.33.3 to your Download directory then:

$ cd Download
    $ sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.33.3-amd64.deb

Or you could specify the path and do it from whichever directory you are currently in, for example:

$ sudo dpkg -i /home/yourUserName/Download propelleride-0.33.3-amd64.deb

• Heater. wrote: »
    You need to run the dpkg command from the directory that contains the package file.

Presuming you downloaded version 0.33.3 to your Download directory then:

$ cd Download
    $ sudo dpkg -i propelleride-0.33.3-amd64.deb

Or you could specify the path and do it from whichever directory you are currently in, for example:

$ sudo dpkg -i /home/yourUserName/Download propelleride-0.33.3-amd64.deb
    Ohh, okay got ya. Thanks so much
  • I usually use a double click on a *.deb file after it is downloaded.
    I am using Linux Mint.
  • frida wrote: »
    I usually use a double click on a *.deb file after it is downloaded.
    I am using Linux Mint.

where does it put the program? I tried that and it said it installed but darn it if i can find it in my system

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Try typing "prop" into a command line terminal window and then hit TAB. If it's installed on the PATH then it will show up.

Sorry I have never installed it from a deb package so I'm not sure exactly where it gets put.

• Shawn Lowe wrote: »
    frida wrote: »
    I usually use a double click on a *.deb file after it is downloaded.
    I am using Linux Mint.

where does it put the program? I tried that and it said it installed but darn it if i can find it in my system

If it did install you should be able to use the 'which' command to show you the location, assuming it was installed into a location that is in your $PATH environment variable.

You could also try:

To find a specific package's location you can use the dpkg command with the -L flag. For example if you wanted to find all of the installed files for Apache2, you could run:

dpkg -L apache2

• Thanks everyone for the help. When I get some time I will investigate. BTW, im running ubuntu. I am unsure of the version.
  • Well thanks to all your help, i now have propelleride on my linux desktop. It has no example library!? Oh well, thank you again
  • The spin-standard-library is a good start, IMO. I think, sadly, it's unmaintained now, but I think it is a good idea that has a lot of the basics in it.

Cheers
  • If you go to Edit Preferences, then Browse Library, you will find a lot.