OFFLINE version of BlocklyProp

NikosGNikosG Posts: 615
The other day, Ken posted on F/B an online pool, about an "OFFLINE version of BlocklyProp"!!!
Ken_blocky.jpg
Personally I found it awesome!
Does anyone especially from BlocklyProp developing team has any more information?
528 x 318 - 57K

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • I would consider it to be a vital next step, followed quickly by a "Blockly Commons" where people could post their own blocks, similar in function to the OBEX.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • The team is working towards this and they've got some specific solutions in mind. I'd like to see the same poll for students and then adults. I'd expect the results to be different, where students think cloud-based-everything is the norm yet older people don't accept the requirement of an internet connection for programming a microcontroller.

To the question. For now, they're keeping me at arm's length and on a need-to-know basis. Pretty soon though, I'm expected to receive more information about the schedule, design considerations (i.e., what does it mean for Chromebook users?) and who is building the system.

Ken Gracey
  • I'm far from a student of the age of your targeted consumer base. My $0.000002 - having both locally stored data and cloud based data could help teach the youngsters about having a Plan B when connectivity goes away. I found out the hard way several months ago that when Hurricane Irma hit my area and took out most of my cloud access that a Plan B was essential. Specifically, I own a generator repair business and , as you can guess, was overwhelmed with repairs circa Irma. My QuickBooks app has now been converted to the Desktop version. No more sole support on cloud for this guy!
  • Ken, I'm not at all sure why poll results from students should be given much weight. They are the adult faculty that have to deal with a school's IT issues, not the students. It's all about control, and I'm betting that ceding total control to a remote provider is unpalatable to most clients. Having everything available on a school's network or individual computers is important. I've been there; I know.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Ken, I'm not at all sure why poll results from students should be given much weight. They are the adult faculty that have to deal with a school's IT issues, not the students. It's all about control, and I'm betting that ceding total control to a remote provider is unpalatable to most clients. Having everything available on a school's network or individual computers is important. I've been there; I know.

-Phil

+1.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • On my end sometimes I teach in places where I don't have internet.

Also once a month Comcast can go down out here. Sometimes more. Would stink to have to cancel a class because Comcast was down.

That said, when everything was working it seems I'd prefer cloud based so students can work from home and on any laptop at the school.
    Founder of Kinvert
    https://www.kinvert.com/
  • That said, when everything was working it seems I'd prefer cloud based so students can work from home and on any laptop at the school.

Maybe so. But when I taught robotics with the ActivityBot, I lent each student an Activity Board to take home. I even bought one student a used laptop, since he didn't have a computer at home. To a person, not one ever used the Activity Board outside of class.

So I'm not sure that most students would be motivated enough to work on their Blockly projects at home, even given the opportunity. In any event, there's no reason they couldn't do so via the school's server if Blockly were installed there, since it's just a web access.

-Phil

• It helps to have the option of a local version. Never know when Internet will be down. The more rural the location, the more it matters. Raised in Alaska, I have experience with this, unfortunately.
  • I do not have a dog in this fight but at first glance my first comment was I wish I didn't need to be connected to use this option for programming.
    I have C, SPIN, and PBasic on my home computer and can program anywhere and anytime without being connected, I LOVE that ability and I'm just learning how to program.
  • Yes - it very important to me to have an OFF - line version of BlocklyProp! I do a LOT of software development work and am always trying different versions and scenarios of software to get the best performance and design features. I really don't want the world to see how I do this. I do not mind sharing the *final* product, but the trials and errors, not so much... Also the on-line stuff really eats up my Internet time, I would rather work alone without the Internet distractions.
  • We're talking internally about how to make our bare-bones yet functional offline BlocklyProp available to those who are willing to accept it without sophisticated GUI/project management features.

Would you be interested in using it in this capacity?

Ken Gracey
  • I would be interested in an offline blocklyprop for sure,
    Myself and many of my minions don't always have internet access available,
    We like to have the 'disc' so we can play anytime.

-Tommy