Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chasing Coral - Under the Hood — Parallax Forums

Chasing Coral - Under the Hood

This is a cool interview by Arrow Electronics with Trevor from View into the Blue Underwater Webcams and how they made "Chasing Coral" on Nexflix. They used an off the self Raspberry Pi to set up the Camera controls and then an Arduino to control the camera. They used an umbilical cord to communicate with the RasPi from the surface and then flash the Arduino with the code to control the camera at the intervals they were looking for.
However, they are looking for a single board solution that can handle all of the same functions to simplify the config. I can see the Arduino being replaced easily with a Propeller and then using some sort ARM processor to replace the RasPi. That is unless there is an easier way to send commands wirelessly through water.

It is interesting non the less.
https://arrow.com/en/research-and-events/videos/underwater-camera-using-raspberry-pi-and-arduino?utm_source=eloqua&utm_medium=email&utm_term=research_events&utm_content=arrow_newsletter&utm_campaign=arrow_na_en_january-newsletter-control-a_jan2018

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I wonder if using ultrasonic transducers to build an underwater modem would be practical. Sound does propagate well in both fresh and salt water.
  • Hi kwinn

Try googling "PVDF" AND "ultrasonic transducer".

You'll be in touch with the state-of-the-art.

Henrique

P.S. Far away from a PING sensor, but understandable.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Yanomani wrote: »
    Hi kwinn

Try googling "PVDF" AND "ultrasonic transducer".

You'll be in touch with the state-of-the-art.

Henrique

P.S. Far away from a PING sensor, but understandable.

Thanks for the link. I have worked on ultrasound instruments for medical imaging but have not heard of it being used for wireless communications in water environments. Seems like it might be possible to use it for moderate range comms for applications like the coral reef camera and other similar uses. I was wondering if anyone had done any research on usable range, optimal frequencies, noise interference, and such.