Forum Update - Announcement about May 10th, 2018 update and your password.

Arlobot DHB-10 motor board bug with encoders

124»

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 1,204
    edited August 7 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Ken,
    Can I just get the latest firmware to update my boards? Or is there a hardware revision?

At the moment this is a hardware revision.

It may not impact everyone. The issue relates to rapid direction changes and more-so when the 3 motor bolts are not tightened to the same amount, which pulls the motors off-parallel to the motor mounting blocks, putting uneven strain on the wheel shaft.

More likely those with DHB-10's bought in the last year using encoders bought in the last year (identified as those with pre-soldered headers) are affected.
    Note... the encoders are not an issue, but just to use those as an approx. timeline.

Firmware:

The latest firmware is the same v1.0 version that shipped with DHB-10's, and also available here: https://www.parallax.com/downloads/dhb-10-motor-controller-firmware

Earlier in this thread, David Carrier posted a special version of v1.0, which added a STATUS command to return the last error code. (That was the only difference from v1.0).
    David's version could be used as direct replacement to v1.0, but it didn't get pushed to an official release.

GitHub:

Some other news.... Parallax are looking into pushing the source code into GitHub, subject to summer work queues/etc.!
    Once that happens, someone will get David's update included too. Either me for sure, or whoever beats me to it! (as I think there are a few interested parties watching for the GitHub moment)

• Thanks for the update VonSzarvas. I haven't been having any issues, and I believe all my DHB-10s are more than a year old. I never noticed any issues with the aluminum blocks or mounting bolts binding on my Arlo's.

I, also, don't really do rapid direction changes. My code is such that when any of the sensors indicate "getting close to something" I slow down first, then stop or change direction when it get's inside of a second threshold. Helps keep my walls and furniture from getting banged up. :)

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 6,236
    edited August 10 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We're starting to send out new DHB-10s to customers who've bought and had issues. Please destroy the old hardware so it doesn't get mixed up in the process.

The picture is our latest production run.

Ken Gracey
    2016 x 1512 - 1012K
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    We're starting to send out new DHB-10s to customers who've bought and had issues. Please destroy the old hardware so it doesn't get mixed up in the process.

This is the reason I will ALWAYS be a Parallax customer! You all are incredible! Amazing customer service.

Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Indeed Whit, they do their best to take care of the customer and make things right! That's why I love Parallax too!
    Plus Ken and Chip and all the others I have met from there are super nice and smart folks! Several of them I count as friends, even if long distance ones.