All your Intel processors slowing down by 30% soon!

1235»

Comments

• There we go. That contractor could have just rendered it to a PNG on the server. Job done! :)
  • With a suitable imgmap? Would have worked for most of the page.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball! @opengeekorg ---> Be Excellent To One Another SKYPE = acuity_doug
    Parallax colors simplified: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?123709-Commented-Graphics_Demo.spin<br>
  • I find it fascinating.

The original intent of HTML was to give some hints to the browser about logical structure of a document. You know, headers, paragraphs and so on. Then let the browser render it in a suitable way for the screen the users has.

Of course, it turns out that web page designers don't want that. They don't care about logical document structure. No they want "pixel perfect" layout of a page as if they were pasting it up on a sheet of paper in front of them for publication is a paper magazine or such. Or using a good old desktop publishing software. They only care what in looks like.

So, over the years comes CSS, in ever increasingly complex versions, to allow web designers to do that.

It's still horribly complicated to make a pleasing web page layout. Still most web sites are horribly ugly as a result. Try zooming them in and out or printing them and it all falls apart.

I'm mean, look at this forum page in front of you now.

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 9,009
    edited January 12 Vote Up0Vote Down
    And the ONE THING I want is text reflow, as originally envisioned, doesn't exist, unless designers, developers provide for it explicitly. What I get is a closer, and incomplete look at the page. Nice for a map. Not so nice to read and interact.

Used to, but once CSS entered the scene, game over. Actually, tables and little pixels started the mess.

I use mobile a lot. Viewing old sites, pre CSS, works at any zoom, any screen resolution, unless they have done table, one pixel tricks.

Today, zoom is often denied, and text is often fixed.

All for "dynamic pictures" like high gloss copy, but with out the high gloss, quality of copy, etc.

Failure, if you ask me.

So... select all, paste, read with ease, or run a sort of hack extension / browser, or deal with the carnage left over when CSS is turned off. And my mobile browser does not offer me that choice as far as I can tell.

We keep this up and just making a page will be as ugly and risk laden as making a CPU apparently is!
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball! @opengeekorg ---> Be Excellent To One Another SKYPE = acuity_doug
    Parallax colors simplified: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?123709-Commented-Graphics_Demo.spin<br>
  • My friend's fairly new laptop just became useless after the update, it was so painfully slow that he backed up his files and gave the laptop to a guy to go and install Windows 7 on it instead. That's how bad it was.

Btw @Cluso99 - who are you with that they charge $10/MB? Or do you mean GB? Anyway I might replace my cable connection with mobile broadband since the upload rate on 4G is super fast, and even though the data plan is only 140GB it works out cheaper and faster than my current 30Mbit cable connection. NBN is a total joke here in Oz and even the local state government is looking at creating its own broadband network for the people using existing fiber infrastructure.
    Yes $10/GB with Optus.

I have just updated my plan from 36GB/month to 170GB/month on 4Gplus.
    But it slows to a snail pace around 6pm to 1-3Mbps. I presume the same applies to landline adsl/nbn too. The Gosford area has been held hostage to upgrading the network because the cable ran over a private rural property, and it has taken time to get a court order for access :(

BTW I will be on ubuntu mid-week when my new old laptop arrives already setup by a friend ;)
    Unfortunately I still need to run Windows :(
    My Prop boards: P8XBlade2, RamBlade, CpuBlade, TriBlade
    Prop OS (also see Sphinx, PropDos, PropCmd, Spinix)
    Prop Tools (Index) , Emulators (Index) , ZiCog (Z80)
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    I am going insane. I would happily accept a 30% penalty at the moment.

I am seeing a big hit while it downloads the update. Then I loose my laptop for something like 30 minutes (haven't timed it) while it installs and rolls back, and then it repeats! And that's on top of using my expensive mobile internet data too - if I run over my limit, it's $10/MB !!!

Have you updated you BIOS or UEFI for the change? Windows is likely looking for system facilities that don't yet exist. Which make and model laptop?

It is an Acer Aspire E1-570. I haven't searched or tried a BIOS or UEFI update.

I haven't been able to get to the latest W10. I am on v1607 os14393.2007 and I think it needs to get to build 16299 before it can get the meltdown and spectre security fixes.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    ..... We all know our ASCII codes right? .....
    What's ASCII codes ;)
  • Surprise, surprise...

This morning, after a failed attempt last night, windoze is not trying to download over my metered connection. Bonus :)
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 6,776
    edited January 13 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise...

This morning, after a failed attempt last night, windoze is not trying to download over my metered connection. Bonus :)

Maybe the windows update server had an update too?
    Meltdown!
    Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    Tachyon Forth News Blog
    TACHYON DEMONSTRATOR
    Brisbane, Australia
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise...

Maybe the windows update server had an update too?
    Meltdown!
    Yes. Probably fixed honouring the metered setting! Would have caused ms a lot of flack!!!