TAQOZ - Tachyon Forth for the P2 BOOT ROM

A few months back I had a discussion with Chip regarding a version of Tachyon suitable for incorporating into the P2 BOOT ROM. Not only will TAQOZ allow booting from raw SD sectors but also by FAT32 name. Of course the full power of TAQOZ can be made available if a user connects a serial terminal and interacts with it and not only using "commands" but also "scripts" since this is essentially a non-standard Forth tailor made for the P2 to allow testing of hardware and smartpins etc. Even so, full programs can be typed in line by line or more conveniently by pasting or sending from an editor. Therefore the development environment is not limited to a PC as even phones and tablets have editors and serial terminals. The serial connection can even be via a Bluetooth serial module.

Since it includes SD driver layers and FAT32 along with all the commands/routines you can even think of it a bit like DOS and BATCH files.

Currently I am attempting documentation and full conversion of the higher level Forth source that includes FAT32 so that it can all be integrated into the TAQOZ.spin2 file which can be loaded in one keystroke from PNut. Please, if you want to help with documentation then please sign-in with your Google account so that you can request to edit the document directly or add sections etc rather than just commenting about paragraph formatting. I will start some other documents as well that focus on introductions and examples etc.

Current public documentation (Google doc for editing)

Current file TAZOZ.spin2

Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
useforthlogo-s.png
Tachyon Forth News Blog
TACHYON DEMONSTRATOR
Brisbane, Australia

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Looks like a good start. Thanks!
  • What is the minimum hardware environment for TAQOZ? Obviously, the P2 is target, but which of the FPGA variants would be supported (I'm assuming more than 1 cog in order to communicate from a terminal app)? Just wondering if it provides support for the DE0-nano raw or BeMico-A2...

dgately
    Livermore, CA (50 miles SE of San Francisco)
  • Peter, how similar is TAQOZ to v4.7?
    In other words, how similar is it to the P1 version?

J
  • I have a question here for @Peter.

Besides the ROM area where TAQOZ will land at boot-time, you use HUB-RAM.

My question here is if it is possible to keep hub address 0 to xxx free as a one block?

The goal would be that one COG runs TAQOS while the rest of the P2 from 0 to xxx is free for applications written in other languages.

And xxx is the lowest HUB address TAQOZ currently needs. My wish here is that TAQOZ hoovers on the top end of the available RAM.

xxx should be readable at a fixed ROM location and updated by TAQOZ after words are added.

This would allow to have TAQOZ (even with later loaded extensions) to run parallel occupying one COG and provide a Firmware or BIOS for all running programs.

I am not sure there, all you examples are with redirection the output of EMIT to different targets, but my guess is that TAQOZ can also redirect its input away from serial pins to some hub-mail box usable by other programs as a 'script-engine' .

So the question is - can you build TAQOZ so that it just lives on the top of the RAM?

just asking,

Mike
    I am just another Code Monkey.
    A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.
    Press any key to continue, any other key to quit

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • Would it be possible for TAQOZ to not use any hub RAM at all? Also, it would be good if TAQOZ loaded in some other cog than cog 0. There are some features in the FPGA that are only available from cog 0.

Ideally, TAQOZ should have a mode where it acts as a smart monitor program. In this mode it shouldn't need to use hub RAM or an SD card. If desired, the user could invoke a more advanced mode that would require the use of hub RAM and SD.
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    Would it be possible for TAQOZ to not use any hub RAM at all? Also, it would be good if TAQOZ loaded in some other cog than cog 0. There are some features in the FPGA that are only available from cog 0.

Ideally, TAQOZ should have a mode where it acts as a smart monitor program. In this mode it shouldn't need to use hub RAM or an SD card. If desired, the user could invoke a more advanced mode that would require the use of hub RAM and SD.

If the user program hasn't loaded via serial or serial Flash then what is the point of TAQOZ sitting there in a "smart monitor" mode? What are we expecting to do then? Surely we just want to be able to use it fully and if it hasn't detected a user program on SD card then what does it matter if it uses some hub RAM? I suppose what I am wondering about is that given the conditions I mentioned then what is your rationale for TAQOZ not using hub RAM?

Given good reason, we may want to do this, but I can't see why at present.

Tachyon Forth - compact, fast, forthwright and interactive
    useforthlogo-s.png
    Tachyon Forth News Blog
    TACHYON DEMONSTRATOR
    Brisbane, Australia
  • I haven't kept up with the TAQOZ discussion, so I don't know all the details of how it will work. I just want to make sure that there is a mode where I can boot up my program from flash, and all the hub RAM is available for my program to use. Also, I would like to be able to reboot from flash and preserve the previous contents of the hub RAM as much as possible.