Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FLiP Module — Parallax Forums

FLiP Module

After a minor snafu with shipping (thanks, Chantal in sales for sorting things out!), I just received my first FLiP modules today. Wow! These modules rock!

With this module, Parallax has made great strides in leveraging their technology to employ across the educational/hobby/OEM spectrum. They've put all of the "hard stuff" on a compact PCB that leaves educators and systems integrators (like me) the luxury of an almost plug'n'play solution to rapid product development and prototyping. And the price is right!

Without divulging too much, I'm designing the FLiP into a product for an OEM customer. The module's integration makes my job almost effortless, since all I have to design now is the interface between it and a display and a couple sensors. Plus, it fits in the tiny space available.

Thanks, Parallax!
-Phil

Comments

• Congrats on your new FLiP.

I have to agree, it's an awesome little board.

Looking forward to seeing your new FLiPped out project.
  • I like the FLiP also very much and hope that Parallax will engineer a P2 module as easy to use.

Enjoy!

Mike
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    I wished it had a micro sd socket on it or at least the traces where one could be added. And I agree it makes designing products/projects simpler.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2017-12-09 18:57
    Don M wrote: »
    I wished it had a micro sd socket on it or at least the traces where one could be added. And I agree it makes designing products/projects simpler.
    My P8XBlade2 has a microSD socket and the EEPROM is preprogrammed to boot from the microSD card, and is write protected by default. The transistor reset circuit is onboard so a cheap (~$1.50) USB-TTL Serial will work, and power my board instead of requiring an expensive PROPPLUG. The user binary file can be copied directly to the microSD as FAT16/32 is supported. My Prop OS can also be copied and run from the microSD. It has an onboard 3V3 regulator from an external 5V source. All I/O pins are brought out to 0.1" headers.
  • Don M wrote: »

Yeah, based on another conversation regarding the FLiP, this is why it would be cool if there were plug in modules in the FLiP format; something like "FLiP Tops" if there were top-side headers or perhaps "FLiP Ups" . Or, a carrier board that the FLiP could plug into to expand it's functionality in the BOE form factor with or without Arduino headers; for some reason "FLiP Flop" came to mind but it might be a bad idea to associate the FLiP, or any other Parallax product with the Flop "F" word. I just see them worn so often in the Roseville area regardless of the weather. "FLiP Out" seems interesting to represent a break-out board for the FLiP.
  • After a minor snafu with shipping (thanks, Chantal in sales for sorting things out!), I just received my first FLiP modules today. Wow! These modules rock!

You should call it a PHLiP :lol:

I got one a few weeks ago. They are spectacular for all manner of prototyping. The power regulator is very robust and I love the 3.3v output.
  • JonM wrote: »
    Don M wrote: »

Yeah, based on another conversation regarding the FLiP, this is why it would be cool if there were plug in modules in the FLiP format; something like "FLiP Tops" if there were top-side headers or perhaps "FLiP Ups" . Or, a carrier board that the FLiP could plug into to expand it's functionality in the BOE form factor with or without Arduino headers;

Completely agree about the µSD socket. The FLiP would be wonderful with one, like a Molex 47309 series.

I like the FLiP Tops and FLiP Ups ideas. The only challenge with FLiP Tops is that the module does not have header pins on the top side for attachment. If they were, Parallax would have to handsolder them as opposed to using their KISS-102 selective soldering machine which would then also add a lot of labor cost. You could use a castellated module since the FLiP's top surface is flat, the module could sit flush and be soldered to the pin protrusions. Parallax could also use a header with a longer tail so the protrusion is about 0.060"; it would still be great for selective soldering, but would also make it easy to solder on a castellated module.

As for the carrier board idea, I am brainstorming with a colleague on a design that the FLiP would plug in to and the combo would give you the equivalent of the Activity Board WX (with a couple extras). So far, it looks fairly feasible and from a cost perspective, would easily enable a FLiP/Carrier combo to be price competitive with the Activity Board WX to give additional options to users without making them have to consider cost factors.

Attached is a pic of my "µ-µSD" module that uses the 47309 µSD socket.
    410 x 203 - 35K
  • I like the FLiP Tops and FLiP Ups ideas. The only challenge with FLiP Tops is that the module does not have header pins on the top side for attachment. If they were, Parallax would have to handsolder them as opposed to using their KISS-102 selective soldering machine which would then also add a lot of labor cost. You could use a castellated module since the FLiP's top surface is flat, the module could sit flush and be soldered to the pin protrusions. Parallax could also use a header with a longer tail so the protrusion is about 0.060"; it would still be great for selective soldering, but would also make it easy to solder on a castellated module.

Yeah, we've been down this road before. Just ship the FLiP without the headers soldered on and let the consumer solder what they like on the board; problem solved. However, this would certainly not be for one unskilled in the art of the soldering iron. Then again, plug-in modules could be designed so the FLiP plugs on to them in stackable fashion.

I'm looking forward to the carrier board. In the Arduino Shield vain, creating separate carrier boards for items such as BLE, Wi-Fi, Motor Driver and so on that are stackable or that are pluggable onto the main carrier board like the XBee module would offer a whole slew of possibilities.

A Grove Starter Kit for the FLiP with an assortment of sensors would make a nice stocking stuffer.