Project Idea: Luxury Washroom Lighting
This project was a present to my wife who enjoys lighting throughout the house at night. I knew it had to be easy on the eyes and that it couldn't interfere with any functions such as, using the lavatory and regular washroom cleaning.
I came up with 2 LEDs and ended up going with 3 LEDs under the seat, and these things are super tiny. They are held by some tape (I know, super space age), but if I need to make any changes, and did, it could be done easily and without any long term damage to the seat. I would like to make one by using a router to create some embedded lights in the seat and then cover it with epoxy. The simpler method was the correct way this time I think, until I get a seat to build it.
I have worked with PIR (proximity sensor) before in a number of projects and it's as simple of infrared sensor as they come. It picks up motion within a 60 degree(ish) field of view. The 3 LEDs are controlled through a 2N3904 NPN Transistor and set to a timer of 90 seconds.
The lavatory lights where just not enough to light up the shower area so I made a wall piece. I used the 406 because it is the area code for the state, and the state of Montana shape for obvious reasons. I was able to get more detailed with a Dremel, and was very happy with the results. I had not tried to use a Dremel for more than cutting and some basic stuff, and this project called for a lot more. I ended up burning through my XPR (R.I.P. little buddy, it was a beast) when I was cutting 1/2" pine. I used the table saw to half some 1/2" and got a nice thin sheets of 1/4" I was able to breeze through using the new Dremel 3000. I cut out the 4,0,6 and shape of Montana out of 1/4" pine (just buying them from Home Depot store next time).
1/2" Pine aka Dremel Killer
1/4" Pine aka Butter Wood
I used tiny SS blue LEDs to backlight the 4,0, and 6, the same kind I used for the toilet seat. Regular T1 style LEDs for the white state back light. I didn't want to over power the eyes and worked great with the small testing I did.
I was thinking of powering everything with the one Prop that is on the floor but opted to use a PropStickUSB because I wanted each piece to be able to be used or controlled separately if someone wanted to build each, with the placement of the PIR for the wall unit.
I found a DIY stain for the 4,0, and 6 that I thought would pop on the sapphire state; I don't think I nailed it like the video but still got some of that aging look. I ended up using the rust the steel wool and vinegar created to make the back piece pop with some cool red/brown.
How to Oxidize (Age) New Wood & Get A Vintage Look
Overall Difficulty 3/5
The difficulty of this project is 3 of 5; any mistakes are met with a long process to replace that part. The coding took a couple days with some simple testing, but there were nothing complex. The soldering was not easy for anything that had to do with LEDs and the PropStickUSB board was getting close (haha).
All and all, this was a really fun project. It worked out great and everyone in the house and visitors have enjoyed seeing it. If you want to build one and have any questions, feel free to reach out and I'll give you any tips.
Initial Demo Video without the wall unit
Wall Unit Upgrade Demo
Tool Note: The Dremel 3000 series (with extended plan, just in case) was a great purchase, it works perfectly with all my XPR attachments.