Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unable to play WAV file on Activity board — Parallax Forums

Unable to play WAV file on Activity board

The end goal is to build the Halloween Pumpkin Project (w/o XBee) that is on learn.parallax.com. The speaker is the Veho360 which is suggested in the tutorial. The memory card is 16GB SanDisk SDHC (smallest I could find at the time). For now I am using plain ole LEDs for the lighting.

I loaded the program and verified the pins of the microSD card, Left Channel and Right Channel (I think is what lpin and rpin means) of the speaker, and the PIR sensor. I previously formatted the microSD card to FAT32 and then copied a WAV file to the card; the only thing that is on the card. Well, it didn't work.

I verified the microSD card can be accessed by running "SD-test_103-Archive..." object from the Object Exchange. Next, I downloaded "V2-WAV" object. I made the necessary pin assignments for the microSD card and changed the string name of the file to what is on the microSD card. The object started successfully and displayed error that the file was not found. I promise the WAV file is on the card and I can play it through Windows Media player.

I'm at a loss of how to troubleshoot and isolate this. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Comments

• Have you tried running the "gun.spin" example program that is part of the V2-WAV zip file package?

You will need to put a copy of the three example '*.wav' files onto your SD card and change the pin numbers as needed in 'gun.spin' to match your setup. Doing this could eliminate some of the unknowns in your code and show whether a known program will work with your hardware setup.

Some people have had issues with different brands/sizes of SD cards working with various Propeller setups, perhaps that is also contributing to your problem.

• I have a working Halloween Pumpkin (non XBee version for now) and I used an 8Gb Micro CD that is formated as MS-DOS FAT32 which works fine.

What board are you using? I'm using a Parallax Project Board in my set-up.

A couple of tutorials that you might want to look at are the following:
    learn.parallax.com/tutorials/language/propeller-c/propeller-c-simple-devices/play-wav-files

learn.parallax.com/support/reference/sound-library/formatting-audio-files-wav-players

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Have you used a short filename? (max. 8 characters without extension).
    The SD card drivers can not handle long filenames.

Andy
  • Thank you all for your help. The winner was Ariba. Shortened the file name on the card, fixed some missing indentation in the coding and the program works!

Now to build it.

Happy Halloween! (early)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Ariba! Ariba!

Glad to hear it's working, Jason. Be sure to post a video of your finished project!