Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mini Maker Faire in Rocklin Oct 14th — Parallax Forums

Mini Maker Faire in Rocklin Oct 14th

I did not see a post for this but The Rocklin Mini Maker Faire is today and I was wondering if Parallax will have a presence there.

The Maker Faire is at Sierra College in Rocklin, CA off Rocklin Road.
It's free and parking is free.

https://rocklin.makerfaire.com/

WebMMF2017.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Comments

• I guess there is not much interest in this type of thing here, but there was certainly a ton of STEM and educational based booths for kids. It seemed more popular than last year though.

Seen some Parallax boards in the wild being used in some projects. I would post pics but I do not have them on a site to link.

Maybe next year.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Looks like a nice, well organized event. A shame if Parallax wasn't there to represent in their hometown.

I went to a Barnes & Noble-sponsored MMF near me last year. Pretty rinky dink, they only had presentations on the overpriced stuff they sold. I'm sure Rocklin's real MMF was much better.

https://inventtolearn.com/event/barnes-noble-mini-maker-faire-torrance/
  • This year the Rocklin Maker Faire fell on the wrong weekend for us. Of the dozen staff who typically run these events, all of us were booked with Professional Development courses (Truckee, Tampa, Chicago), releasing the ActivityBot360, posting new tutorials and libraries. We were just running a bit too lean to take this on.

Keep in mind the Maker/STEAM exposition events occur every weekend by us. If not local, the SF Bay Area would have something. We can't attend all of them, unless that's all we did (or if we dedicated an events-only team to that purpose).

Ken Gracey
  • Make sense.

The MMF that Barnes and Noble sponsors comes up on the second weekend of the month.which is the 11 and 12. The big one here will be roosting in the Union Square one. While it would be nice if the company could send a representative to it, I'd understand certainly. As it happens the company, B&N thinks they've got stores all over the US so it wouldn't bother me if the company, did go to the store that erco is thinking of.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    This year the Rocklin Maker Faire fell on the wrong weekend for us. Of the dozen staff who typically run these events, all of us were booked with Professional Development courses (Truckee, Tampa, Chicago), releasing the ActivityBot360, posting new tutorials and libraries. We were just running a bit too lean to take this on.

Keep in mind the Maker/STEAM exposition events occur every weekend by us. If not local, the SF Bay Area would have something. We can't attend all of them, unless that's all we did (or if we dedicated an events-only team to that purpose).

Ken Gracey

Understood. But seeing this was pretty much in y'alls backyard, it would have been nice to see some sort of presence from Parallax. This year was much bigger than last year and the Sierra College Parking lot was pretty much full by the time I got there around noon-ish. It was good to see the very diverse group of local Makers and even meet local BattleBot Big Nut winner Ray Billings and see his bot Tombstone. The Hacker Lab folks had a pretty good presence in the cafeteria area as always and the Sacramento Open Hardware Meetup had a Giant Tetris Game Display they were showing off which was cool. It was Arduino based but certainly a Propeller could have been used instead.
    Like last year, I did hear some local educators asking the folks in booths if there were any local STEM or Robotics programs they could bring to their school which I always point out the Parallax web site. The ones at the event seem to get a ton of attentions though. Oh, well maybe next year.