Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which tutorials for the ASC+ — Parallax Forums

Which tutorials for the ASC+

pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 21
edited 2017-10-25 20:24 in Propeller 1
First, is this the right forum? I assume the ASC+ uses a Propeller 2 but I'm not sure.

Second, I'm using an ASC+ and a BOE Shield. I don't find any tutorials specifically for this combination, so i tried the "Getting Started with the Propeller BOE" tutorial. Right off the bat, I run into differences between the Propeller BOE and the combination I'm using. I'm trying the "Blink a Light" but the tutorial refers to built in LED's on the Propeller BOE that I don't have. I can build the LED circuit myself, but I'm concerned about other differences later.

Is there a better set of tutorials that I should be using?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    No. The ASC+ uses a Propeller 1. The Propeller 2 does not exist yet. It's still being designed.

• Thanks
    Are the numbers in your avatar referring to vacuum tube pins?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    pwiecek wrote: »
    Thanks

Yep. He's an oldie (like some of us here) ;)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    pwiecek,
    Yes indeed. The 6L6 Beam power tetrode. Or "Harries Valve".

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2017-09-19 04:49
    If you stick to I/O pins P0-P15 and avoid the use of external chips like analog to digital converters or SD cards, you should be good with BOE tutorials, ActivityBoard tutorials, Flip tutorials, pretty much anything. Remember that the ASC+ has series resistors (2.2K?) in those I/O leads and that will affect the use of some devices like LEDs. They will also protect those I/O pins from 5V signals.
  • The ASC+ does have provision for shorting out the 2.2K resistors for applications that require it. In that case, you can't use 5V signals on those pins.

The ASC+ does have an SD card socket on the bottom. If you use it, you can't use I/O pins P8, P11-P13 for anything else.
  • Mike Green wrote: »
    The ASC+ does have an SD card socket on the bottom. If you use it, you can't use I/O pins P8, P11-P13 for anything else.
    Well that's painful, the BOE Shield uses 10-13 for servos.

• If you really want to use an SD card too, you can get another SD card socket on a little breakout board and wire that to any 4 I/O pins on the auxiliary connector on the ASC+ (say P16-19 or P20-23). The SD card software doesn’t care.
  • pwiecek wrote: »
    First, is this the right forum? I assume the ASC+ uses a Propeller 2 but I'm not sure.

Second, I'm using an ASC+ and a BOE Shield. I don't find any tutorials specifically for this combination, so i tried the "Getting Started with the Propeller BOE" tutorial. Right off the bat, I run into differences between the Propeller BOE and the combination I'm using. I'm trying the :Blink a Light" but the tutorial refers to built in LED's on the Propeller BOE that I don't have. I can build the LED circuit myself, but I'm concerned about other differences later.

Is there a better set of tutorials that I should be using?

Thanks in advance.

Moved to Prop !

• Mike Green wrote: »
    If you really want to use an SD card too, you can get another SD card socket on a little breakout board and wire that to any 4 I/O pins on the auxiliary connector on the ASC+ (say P16-19 or P20-23). The SD card software doesn’t care.
    Mike Green wrote: »
    If you really want to use an SD card too, you can get another SD card socket on a little breakout board and wire that to any 4 I/O pins on the auxiliary connector on the ASC+ (say P16-19 or P20-23). The SD card software doesn’t care.

Is it possible to jury rig cables to pull the power off of the 3 wire sockets and reroute the control pin to another output.