Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE - Environment Variables for Simple Libraries — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE - Environment Variables for Simple Libraries

I am working on a project that is shared by a class in which every student has their own environment. I have build a few libraries that the students need to use as well.

I have run into a problem because the .side files references the Simple Libraries directory with an absolute pathname which because it includes the user name is only valid for one user. For example, after including the servo library, the two lines appear in the .side file:

-I C:/Users/yiannis/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Motor/libservo
-L C:/Users/yiannis/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Motor/libservo

Due to the absolute pathname reference, this makes the .side file unusable on any other computer.

Only way I have found it to work is by copying the entire "Learn" folder to a shared directory (in Dropbox) and then change the SimpleIDE properties to point to this directory as the Library folder but I would rather not do that.

Is there a way to use environment variables to point to the "Learn" folder in a directory structure-independent way?

A related issue, in Windows, the project manager window does not resize and when the libraries and include directories get too long, their names get truncated which makes it impossible to see what is included in the project unless you manually edit the .side file.

Comments

• For your bug report at the end of your post, I'd encourage you to log it here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/SimpleIDE/issues. No promises it'll get tackled any time soon, but that seems to be Parallax's preferred path for bug reports/feature requests.

As to your main question: not that I have seen. I think your idea of a shared directory is going to be your least-bad idea. Can you do network mounts? That would be better than Dropbox at least.
  • I don't know if this will work, and Windows isn't my forte, but I know %username% should give you the current user name, so could you use
    that in the path?
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803

The SimpleIDE Properties dialog provides for specifying the Library path for each installation. Perhaps you can try a network path?
    ypapelis wrote: »
    Is there a way to use environment variables to point to the "Learn" folder in a directory structure-independent way?

A related issue, in Windows, the project manager window does not resize and when the libraries and include directories get too long, their names get truncated which makes it impossible to see what is included in the project unless you manually edit the .side file.