Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stop Motion Animation — Parallax Forums

Stop Motion Animation

Nice video, this guy makes the most of low-tech materials. He got good results with an Arduino, how much better can be done with Parallax stuff? I bet JonnyMac knows...

Comments

• That's awesome. I completely agree about the Prop being used. I built 2 data loggers on Saturday, one Propeller based (for the rover) and another Arduino based for my bike. I used Arduino for the bike because some of my friends want to build one, that is the only reason, and not a good one, IMO. I don't understand why people limit themselves (and their hardware specs) to one solution.

I used a BS2 to do a stop motion of a BOE-Bot, like 50 years ago. It had a Sharp IR to trigger the shutter, all I had to do was waive my hand past it and I got the shot. I put the IR sensor between myself and the stage, it was very natural feeling. Normally something that tedious wouldn't be the least bit enjoyable for me.

Version 2 with the Activity Bot and moving camera this time?

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Pure awesomesauce!
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,924
    edited 2017-07-09 19:23
    erco wrote: »
    Nice video, this guy makes the most of low-tech materials. He got good results with an Arduino, how much better can be done with Parallax stuff? I bet JonnyMac knows...

I would put my Propeller up against the Schmarschmino any day for most apps -- and have with camera pan/tilt/trolley controls. I used to write code for Camera Turret (until the owner's tragic passing), and now I occasionally consult for another company that used to buy boards from Camera Turret. My friend, Matt, wants to create a programmable system for filming animatronics in live action (i.e., real time, not stop motion). We talk about it nearly every day. Stay tuned.

DragronFrame is a neat program that is great for stop motion animation (it gets heavy use at studios like Adult Swim). Even neater is they provide Schmarschmino code when you buy the software. I'm trying to find that code without buying DragonFrame so I can port it to the Propeller. It's not that DF is terribly expensive, it's just that I wouldn't' use it -- I can put that $200 to use elsewhere.