COYOTE-1 Guitar Pedal

David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 11,347
edited July 4 in Propeller 1 Vote Up0Vote Down
Does anyone have one of these they are willing to sell? I was always interested in this but by the time I inquired about it it was no longer available. It's based on the Propeller.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • Livermore, CA (50 miles SE of San Francisco)
  • I saw that and will probably buy it. I think it cost around $300 when it was first sold.
  • Hmmm.... Looks like I missed it. Anyone have another?
  • Did someone here buy the Coyote-1 that was on eBay?
  • Wow, what's the attraction apart from being Prop-based?

No-way can it compete with the DSP-based units out there. I love my pedal so much that I bought SIX more identical units. This is the Digitech GNX4.
    PropBASIC ROCKS!
  • Mickster wrote: »
    Wow, what's the attraction apart from being Prop-based?

No-way can it compete with the DSP-based units out there. I love my pedal so much that I bought SIX more identical units. This is the Digitech GNX4.
    I think the software has an interesting architecture. It's also programmable. Aren't most other pedals fixed function? And yes, it is because it has a Propeller in it, Doesn't matter. I missed the auction and there don't seem to be any more out there. Oh well...

But, you just have two feet (I guess) for what you need six identical pedals?

confused,

Mike

I am just another Code Monkey.

A determined coder can write COBOL programs in any language. -- Author unknown.

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this post are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
  • msrobots wrote: »
    Mickster wrote: »

But, you just have two feet (I guess) for what you need six identical pedals?

confused,

Mike

LOL...seven, actually.

Well, I've been around the block a few times and had big-time GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). I got my first GNX4 in 2005 because I was on the road a lot and preferred playing guitar to hanging around in hotel bars. This was perfect for hotel rooms (using headphones) because it's an amp modeler, FX unit, drum-machine, MP3 player (backing tracks), 8-track recorder, etc.
    At first, it felt like a cheesy toy but I came across a 3rd-party library of very authentic-sounding amp models and "artist sounds".
    I decided to spend some time getting to know this "Guitar Workstation" which was a huge learning curve.

Long story short; this is the one for me but they are no-longer produced. So many other owners found it to be too complicated and therefore, as-new units became available on eBay for $150 to $200.

I sold all my other gear and decided to buy a bunch of backups so that I don't have to worry about going through this learning curve again. There is still nothing on the market with anywhere near the features of the GNX4.

PropBASIC ROCKS!
  • Can you program the GNX4 in PropBASIC? :-)
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Can you program the GNX4 in PropBASIC? :-)

Actually, if I had the time, I would build a Prop-based wireless MIDI controller, embedded in my guitar, to control the GNX4. Although the footswitches on the unit appear to be quite robust, they actually push on micro-switches that are mounted directly on the main motherboard. This I don't like.

So, yes, I would definitely use PropBasic to produce the most efficient code (battery-life consideration) with the shortest possible development cycle ;-)

PropBASIC ROCKS!
    David Betz wrote: »
    Can you program the GNX4 in PropBASIC? :-)

Actually, if I had the time, I would build a Prop-based wireless MIDI controller, embedded in my guitar, to control the GNX4. Although the footswitches on the unit appear to be quite robust, they actually push on micro-switches that are mounted directly on the main motherboard. This I don't like.

So, yes, I would definitely use PropBasic to produce the most efficient code (battery-life consideration) with the shortest possible development cycle ;-)
    Yeah but you won't be able to use PropBASIC to write code that actually processes the audio signal. That is what I found interesting about the Coyote-1. Are there other pedals that allow custom code to be loaded?

• I believe there are libraries for the TigerSHARC and some others. All kinds of stuff out there. Modeling is the thing today and we're talking high MFLOP, low GFLOP DSP stuff. WAY out of my league.
    PropBASIC ROCKS!
    I believe there are libraries for the TigerSHARC and some others. All kinds of stuff out there. Modeling is the thing today and we're talking high MFLOP, low GFLOP DSP stuff. WAY out of my league.
    Out of my league too. Maybe I'd better stick with ChipTunes. Surely, we can do that on the Propeller.
  • Or a Stylophone on steroids.

I remember seeing Kraftwerk in the early 80's and hearing "Pocket Calculator" live was amazing. A great example of less-is-more.
    PropBASIC ROCKS!
  • If anyone is interested, the Waybackmachine has a decent snapshot of the website from 2016. Some links do not work.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160508025316/http://howleraudio.com:80/frontpage/
    Infernal Machine
  • Publison wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, the Waybackmachine has a decent snapshot of the website from 2016. Some links do not work.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160508025316/http://howleraudio.com:80/frontpage/
    Thanks for the link but unless I can find someone selling the hardware I guess it won't do me much good. If someone here bought the one being offered on eBay a while back, how much are you willing to sell it for?