HexaBox

ercoerco Posts: 18,042
edited June 23 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
Girl makes a 6-servo walking cardboard box. Interesting gait.

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • I like how she used ordinary parts to make her robot.

I remember seeing Russell Cameron's (aka Oddbot) Chopsticks bot and being intrigued that such a cool robot would be made with simple parts.

Rather than chopsticks, I decided to make my robot out of Popsicle sticks.

It didn't turn out as well as Oddbot's bot but I still thought it was fun to see a bunch of Popsicle sticks kind of walking.

The the bot made from a box, my bot couldn't support the weight of the batteries.
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,042
    Beautimous Duane! I'm a huge fan of both of those ultra-DIY walkers, bonus points for commonly available parts. As your video shows, the battery weight is not trivial. And obviously you need a lot of current to drive a lot of servos. And fine, precision control for smooth motion.

Makes me really respect this guy's 9-servo bipedal walker. Very smooth & graceful. http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?27524-9g-Tai-Chi-Stepper&p=283925&viewfull=1#post283925

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • erco wrote: »
    Makes me really respect this guy's 9-servo bipedal walker. Very smooth & graceful.

Agreed, beautiful!

I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks.

• Was that, a daughter board? :)

The mini-maker faire had cardboard combat bots. I never gave it a thought until they trashed each other, and were easily repaired or rebuilt. Makes a lot of sense now...