Selling Off My Parallax Collection

Comments

• Actually, I may. I am going to have some dinner and I will post back.
  • I do a lot of shipping via USPS. If you have items in their original box/package and it will fit inside a 9x12 padded envolope then you could also use the USPS flat rate padded envelopes.

Also if you have a PayPal account then use www.paypal.com/shipnow to save money over the standard www.usps.com website rates. You can send First Class & Priority Mail. Priority Mail includes $50 insurance whereas First Class does not. But you can purchase more insurance if you need to.
  • Well, that explains why a email a while back did not respond.......

Board I just bought, and of course looking back into the store, saw that the motors have encoders on them. Back for more.

Unemployment does suck, Did a year + of it when telecom melted down back in Dallas Tx in 2001. Was about to start at the Wall-Mart Deli near the apartment we had at the time (wife and 1yo), but then got hired back into medical imaging service (the day before starting at said Wall-Mart) where I have been ever since. Of course even working at the same place for a long time, I still have not really shaken the spectre of being unemployed. That is always in that little corner of the mind, especially in todays bass-ackwards economy. Clearly, you have the skills, talent and outlook to find the next thing that you will enjoy doing, try not to let the rough between times get you down. Best of luck to you, know you have one more out here praying/asking good things come your way again......

FF

P.s. Ya know, it's kinda scary when the spell checker knows the proper spelling of Wall-Mart.........
    Ordnung ist das halbe Leben....
    Ich lebe in der anderen Hälfte
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,077
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • The Master - All I have besides (3) BS1 Modules is (2) OEM BASIC Stamp 1 Modules as shown (Attached).

600 x 600 - 145K
  • Got the stuff I ordered, everything came through fine, thanks Chris.
    And now I see you added more stuff, so I put in another order.
  • Roy, thanks. I actually have a ton more stuff to put up, but we were expecting family for the holiday and I had to put everything away. Starting tomorrow I will be adding my two ELEV-8 quadcopters, some Stingray and Manta Ray robots and tons more other stuff. Just waiting for company to depart so I can have my tables back.

Any existing orders will ship out tomorrow. I didn't make the post office today.
  • Hey Chris, placed an order today. Hope things turn around for you soon!
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
  • jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 314
    edited July 6 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I finally got a PPDB, I've been wanting one for years but could never afford them, not even when they were on sale. Thanks Chris!

Hope you will see more fortunate times soon. In 2001 I lost my job in Silicon Valley and had to move in with the in-laws for 2 years to stay afloat. There were several family deaths in that time and I couldn't even go to the funerals. I worked at Walmart, a golf course and RadioShack until I got offered a job out-of-state where I made less than half of what I made before. It was an offer I couldn't refuse so my wife and I had to move far away from our families to do work that we didn't want to do. But eventually, finances turned around and we're back where we belong.

Good luck!

===Jac
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
  • But eventually, finances turned around and we're back where we belong.

And that place is ... Rancho Cucamonga?!? :smile:

Seriously, it can be useful to hit bottom every once in a while. Then you can better appreciate your fortune and blessings when you get back to your feet. Even if it's in 110 degree weather!

• There was a time when I ate Ramen Noodles twice a day, macaroni and cheese once a day, and every Friday I'd treat myself to a $5 Hot-N-Ready.

Now I eat like a king though I rarely get pizza. Past few days we had lamb, salmon, porterhouse, my wife's amazing chocolate cake.

Granted we buy on sale and keep a chest freezer. But believe me every night I eat good food I remember what I went through and appreciate how I hung in there and made things turn around.
    Founder of Kinvert
    https://www.kinvert.com/
  • There was a time when I ate Ramen Noodles twice a day, macaroni and cheese once a day, and every Friday I'd treat myself to a $5 Hot-N-Ready.

Now I eat like a king though I rarely get pizza. Past few days we had lamb, salmon, porterhouse, my wife's amazing chocolate cake.

Granted we buy on sale and keep a chest freezer. But believe me every night I eat good food I remember what I went through and appreciate how I hung in there and made things turn around.

Keith,

Treated myself to a $5.00 Hot & Ready today since I didn't sleep well and missed breakfast and lunch. I am doing my best to balance things here, but there were some promises made that were not honored and I counted on that to stay afloat. In the end you learn who you can and can't trust in this world. Often times too late.
  • The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 67
    edited July 6 Vote Up0Vote Down

Treated myself to a $5.00 Hot & Ready today since I didn't sleep well and missed breakfast and lunch. I am doing my best to balance things here, but there were some promises made that were not honored and I counted on that to stay afloat. In the end you learn who you can and can't trust in this world. Often times too late.

I don't like LC but I go there twice a week since they're basically next door.

Hint: Try the cheesy bread. It's basically garlic bread with cheese. It has literally more cheese than an entire Hot&Ready anyway. It's a buck cheaper. It's like an appetizer from a good red sauce family owned restaurant. It's pretty big too. It's amazing something so topnotch can come from LC. Nothing else there is worth eating. Tell em to use a little extra 'garlic oil'
    I am the Master, and technology my slave.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 3,710
    ...Starting tomorrow I will be adding my two ELEV-8 quadcopters, some Stingray and Manta Ray robots and tons more other stuff..

Did I miss it? Probably not, but I hope you will post here when new things are added.
  • W9GFO...nope. You didn't miss anything. I did. Forgot about the holiday and things got crazy here. So I am currently adding items. I found some old Noritake VFD that I am adding now. Found some old Seetron and Matrix Orbital Displays, unused. I am working like crazy to get stuff up right now and ship current orders tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. I am still looking for work and going to job interviews, so life is a bit crazy right now.
  • W9GFO...nope. You didn't miss anything. I did. Forgot about the holiday and things got crazy here. So I am currently adding items. I found some old Noritake VFD that I am adding now. Found some old Seetron and Matrix Orbital Displays, unused. I am working like crazy to get stuff up right now and ship current orders tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. I am still looking for work and going to job interviews, so life is a bit crazy right now.

We're all happy to hear you're getting interviews. Keep up the hard work.
    David
    PropWare: C++ HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for PropGCC; Robust build system using CMake; Integrated Simple Library, libpropeller, and libPropelleruino (Arduino port); Instructions for Eclipse and JetBrain's CLion; Example projects; Doxygen documentation
  • Thanks, David! I wish I had gone back to school and got my degree while I was working. Much harder these days to get into someplace without it. Funny...all those years without it, and now at 48 years old suddenly I need it. Go figure.

I found three quadcopters...one assembled. I found an assembled Arlo. I found the Manta Ray and several Stingray robots. The quads are up. The Manta Ray will be up soon. The Stingrays will require me to go through everything because parts are scattered across several boxes! The Arlo will have to wait until I figure out how to handle the shipping. It's big and heavy!

Up to now I was charging a mere $5.00 flat rate for each order, while the average shipping cost has been $10.00 each. So I changed it to $7.50, however the Arlo I will have to account for the weight in the cost of the unit to get around this. Once I sell off this stuff I won't be doing this anymore, so I don't want to have to mess around with the shipping weights and sizes for each package and have them calculated, etc.
  • I wish I had gone back to school and got my degree while I was working. Much harder these days to get into someplace without it. Funny...all those years without it, and now at 48 years old suddenly I need it. Go figure.

Actually, there are some companies such as Google that have dropped the degree requirement and look for the best candidate based on talent and capabilities alone. Recently I have been hit up by head hunters looking for developers ( basically Makers) and the only educational requirement was a High School Diploma. These certainly did not pay as much as some of the jobs at companies that still have the degree requirement, but I do see it as a sign of the times.

The odd thing is that some of the most successful people in the history of Tech were college drop outs such as Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, and so on. Heck, Edison had little to no education but seemed to do fairly well. Even Napoleon Hill in 'Think and Grow Rich ', which was written in the '30s, pointed out how the educational system is more of hindrance when it came to individual grow and success.

I would suspect with your web presence and project postings, you would have an advantage over someone with a degree and little experience. It's all about marketing ones self.

Stay positive.

• Got it!

I'm also interested in getting the previous generation of the Stamp for my 'museum' Same thing, but a little smaller. 10 header pins instead of 14

I am the Master, and technology my slave.
  • Whit wrote: »
    Just saw this too! I will take a look! I did know this and miss you!

Best wishes and prayers from Louisiana!

Whit, thank you very much...I forgot to stop and thank you for your testimonial on my website. While looking for work that's a great help!
  • Thanks, JonM!

The_Master, (great TV show in the 80's, by the way) I have your BASIC Stamp ready to go when the post office opens.

• Thanks, David! I wish I had gone back to school and got my degree while I was working. Much harder these days to get into someplace without it. Funny...all those years without it, and now at 48 years old suddenly I need it. Go figure.

I've long been in the same boat. When I started in the 70s a person didn't need a degree for the work I was interested in. In the years since, that's changed, and now everyone wants a 4-year degree. It gets significantly harder when you're in your 60s, as there's little reason to spend a bunch of years in school, just to "retire" (not that I'll be doing that any time soon).

Equivalent job experience? Today's HR people have never heard of the concept. At most companies, anyway.

At your age, an AA might work, and it could be possible for you test out of most of your classes. It may only take a semester or two to get it.
  • there were some promises made that were not honored and I counted on that to stay afloat. In the end you learn who you can and can't trust in this world.

To paraphrase a Chinese saying: Trust no one except yourself, but be very skeptical of him, for he is your worst enemy.

• On my way to the Post Office to send out the orders that came in as of Friday at noon. More stuff going up today and tomorrow.
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,077
    edited July 7 Vote Up0Vote Down
    When I started in the 70s a person didn't need a degree for the work I was interested in. In the years since, that's changed, and now everyone wants a 4-year degree. It gets significantly harder when you're in your 60s, as there's little reason to spend a bunch of years in school, just to "retire" (not that I'll be doing that any time soon).

The 10th-grade kid I met yesterday, blew me away. ROBOTS ROBOTS ROBOTS. Wins every high school LEGO/FIRST competition he's ever entered, including regionals & nationals. People copy his designs. He's in a tech magnet school CAMS, Cali Academy of Math & Sciences. Taking college courses at night. Teaches at his parent's boutique shop "Rolling Robots". Programs in 12+ languages. Very passionate and articulate. Great kid, obviously college-bound.

This kid is the future!

"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Chris,

If you have any credits, you could try what I did once your get going again. I got my AS in Networking Technology when it looked like it was going to be required. Graduated in 2008, but did it Johnny Cash style. Got it one piece at a time. Started collecting credits back in the Navy in 1982, and kept getting a few here and there until about 2006. Took the 4 semester Cisco series, a transferable Chem with some b.s. others (wife kept expecting me to get my a$$ kicked out of sociology) after all the laundry list was evaluated and graduated.

@anyone who has worked with Chris and knows his skill set should make sure to indicate the same on his LinkedIn page under endorsements. It may help boost his profile with the employers who check that site for prospective hires.

FF
    Ordnung ist das halbe Leben....
    Ich lebe in der anderen Hälfte
  • @anyone who has worked with Chris and knows his skill set should make sure to indicate the same on his LinkedIn page under endorsements. It may help boost his profile with the employers who check that site for prospective hires.

One more thing that could help me (at least for consulting) is anyone I've done work for talking about it here: http://www.savagecircuits.com/testimonials-form/

:nerd:
  • How much to blowout the entire collection package price $$